Kris Kobach: "We may never know if Clinton won the popular vote"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:11:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kris Kobach: "We may never know if Clinton won the popular vote"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kris Kobach: "We may never know if Clinton won the popular vote"  (Read 1615 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/kris-kobach-trump-voter-fraud-commission-we-may-never-know-if-hillary-clinton-won-popular-vote

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »

I definitely think people voted illegally (a woman admitted to voting for Trump twice) but definitely not enough to swing the popular vote.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »

Glad to see Kobach acknowledging that the election was illegitimate. The results should be invalidated and polls opened to get a valid result.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »

Glad to see Kobach acknowledging that the election was illegitimate. The results should be invalidated and polls opened to get a valid result.

I doubt Hillary would want to go through the Trump circus again...she'd probably conclude her long-held dream of being President isn't worth it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »

I definitely think people voted illegally (a woman admitted to voting for Trump twice) but definitely not enough to swing the popular vote.

Sure, there have been a few illegal votes.  This should certainly be caught when possible and the offender punished; but there have been only a handful of isolated occurrences ever reported.  There certainly haven't been nearly enough to change the result of anything but a razor-thin election.

What's worrisome is the possibility, or even deliberate attempt, to make voting harder in the name of stopping illegal votes.  Voting is the bedrock of our form of government, so it should be made as easy as possible for those who are eligible to vote.  Some people say that voting should be difficult to show that a person is serious about it, but I have nothing but contempt for this viewpoint.  All citizens -- even those who don't put much thought into it -- have the right to a say in their representation.

I'm OK with requiring a photo ID for voting, but only if the ID is free and easy to get (i.e., you don't have to travel 50 miles to the next county).  If you have to pay for the necessary ID, it becomes in effect a poll tax, which is prohibited by the 24th Amendment.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »

I'm sure there has been in every election, and there will be more of "that" in future elections also.
The system isn't perfect.
But it's rare and isolated.

This entire Kris Kobach and his commission is one big joke (and a waste of taxpayer money).
But then again, everything surrounding trump is one big circus, so no surprises there.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »

I'm OK with requiring a photo ID for voting, but only if the ID is free and easy to get (i.e., you don't have to travel 50 miles to the next county).  If you have to pay for the necessary ID, it becomes in effect a poll tax, which is prohibited by the 24th Amendment.
Voter ID states have provisions that allow for free state-issued ID cards to be issued to those who do not have other acceptable ID, specifically to avoid 24A violations.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »

Voter ID states have provisions that allow for free state-issued ID cards to be issued to those who do not have other acceptable ID, specifically to avoid 24A violations.

It does not always work out that way, and sometimes those provisions are only added after litigation. Wisconsin in 2016 had a big to-do about them refusing to give people IDs even when they were supposed to. There was secretly-taped footage of them turning people away. They had to go under court supervision to get it right, and by that point it was already close to the election.

Further, this doesn't help when the relevant agencies are difficult to get to for low income people or those who work a lot, whether it is due to hours and/or locations. Also not everyone even knows about the ability to get a free ID. Just because you create some rule and put it on the record does not mean people are going to realize it is even an option. This is why Republicans are often fine with provisions granting free IDs - because they know it won't be taken advantage of in any way that hurts them electorally.

We don't even need photo ID. Doing it like West Virginia is fine - require just basic documents such as a bank statement, a credit card or any other number of easy non-photo IDs. I'm sorry, but there is no army of people willing to commit fraud that will have all that. There is no army of people period. In-person fraud is the worst way to even try and steal an election, yet Republicans put all the focus on photo IDs because they know it is one of the best ways to shrink the electorate in their favor.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

Many low-income people do not even have bank accounts or credit cards. There will always be a small minority of people who are marginalized from all aspects of society, including elections. Voter ID laws or the lack thereof does not affect how marginalized these people are from the political process. This is unfortunate, but it will always be this way.

Employers should be required to give employees a few hours off to vote if their work hours do not allow them sufficient time to vote before or after work. Early/absentee voting should be available for people who will be out of the district on election day. You should be able to cast a ballot and leave the polling station within an hour. Those are the only accommodations to make voting easier that I support.

Protecting the the ballot box is extremely important, and fraud statistics are irrelevant to what is really a matter of principle. We need to demand more from the electorate of the greatest country in the world, not less.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »

Library card.
Food-aid card.
Utility bill statement with address.
Pay stub.
Bank statement with address.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »

We have a lot to learn from our Estonian friends on this issue. They've issued an ID card to every citizen and given them all an electronic identification that enables easy access to government documents, important information, easy voting, and medical records.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »

It was probably around 100 or so in total, or close to .0001%.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 05:29:29 PM »

Yeah definitely free and guaranteed id is a good idea, if not licenses or other stuff like that. I believe there are some states where you can use welfare checks as id. I think licenses or free id are great
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »

So much for accepting the results of the election.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »

This is probably irrelevant to this thread, but why is it that whenever someone says that you should own property to be able to vote, it is always a Republican that says it?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 07:24:02 PM »

In December of 2016, someone wrote this to my local newspaper:

To the snowflakes claiming Hillary won the popular vote: she didn't. California doesn't count, because those hippie liberals aren't real Americans.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »

Heck, I'll happily accept the resignations of Trump and Pence, followed by President Ryan being sworn in. I may dislike his politics, but he would at least legitimately occupy the White House. Plus I think he would actually do the job, instead of pretending to on TV.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »

Sure, and Mars has a sex slave colony.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »

No, they've moved to the moons of Jupiter since their cover was blown on Mars.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »

No, they've moved to the moons of Jupiter since their cover was blown on Mars.

Cheesy
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »

We may never know if Kris Kobach has a brain. He probably doesn't, but we don't know for sure.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »

Clinton would have won the popular vote by a much bigger margin if everyone who was an adult citizen and legally eligible to vote, had actually been able to vote. The idea that a majority, or plurality, of Americans ever wanted Trump, or even GOP control of either branch of Congress, let alone the courts, is absurd. There is not any branch of this government that ever won a popular majority.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »

Many low-income people do not even have bank accounts or credit cards. There will always be a small minority of people who are marginalized from all aspects of society, including elections. Voter ID laws or the lack thereof does not affect how marginalized these people are from the political process. This is unfortunate, but it will always be this way.

These were also allowed by the WV bill:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's pretty expansive. You're right, someone is always going to get left out, but that doesn't mean you should always go for the most strict set of IDs you an. That doesn't really make sense. Voting restrictions should only be implemented on an as-needed basis, and only in proportion to the problem it is meant to solve. In that case, having strict photo ID when in-person voter fraud is rare and not even an efficient way to steal an election is like using a .50 cal sniper rifle to take down a doe.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »

Technically nobody won the popular vote since nobody won more then 50 percent of the vote .
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »

Technically nobody won the popular vote since nobody won more then 50 percent of the vote .

Shut the f**k up, beep boop.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies