AZ-SEN Class 3: Senator McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:45:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN Class 3: Senator McCain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Does John McCain run for reelection in 2022?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: AZ-SEN Class 3: Senator McCain  (Read 8352 times)
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »

McSally is the overwhelming favorite to replace him when the appointment comes up.

A special Election for her seat would be Lean to Likely D, so it would be a scenario that pleases all - republicans get a new senator who can probably hold down the seat for quite a while as McSally is a moderate, and Dems gain a house seat.

Indeed. McSally is fairly young and inoffensive to Arizona voters and could easily continue comfortably holding McCain's seat, even as Arizona swings left. Any other Republican in the delegation - especially Franks and Schweikert, notorious kooky dukes that they are - would probably be even likelier to lose reelection than Flake.

Based on how Ducey has governed Arizona, it's more likely he appoints someone like Franks or Schweikert than McSally.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »

I merged two threads into a single thread for discussion of the political impact of the recent news around Sen. McCain. This is a controversial subject, but given that we all wish McCain the best in his fight with cancer, we can have room for a respectful speculative discussion. --Mod.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »

I didn't expect McCain to run for another term even before he was diagnosed with brain cancer. If he survives, he might resign before 2018.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »

I hope Senator McCain recovers and beats the odds -- I don't care about the political impact. He's a good man who deserves better.

That being said, and I take no joy in this -- it's worth noting that a special election in Arizona would put the Senate into play, where it wasn't before. It might seem callous to point out but it's true. And that's a big political development that will likely come to prominence sooner or later. I hope, if it comes to that, that McCain's legacy presides over a respectful campaign. But it could just as likely be tarnished by a fight that looks more like the rest of today's politics.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »

Isn't Ducey this kind of rogue politicians who will sell this seat to the one willing to pay the most?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »

Isn't Ducey this kind of rogue politicians who will sell this seat to the one willing to pay the most?
Ducey's up for reelection too, so if he's smart he won't pull a Blagojevich.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »

Would Ducey appoint Gosar over McSally?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »

If there is a special election in 2018, then I predict that it (and Flake's reelection) will be Lean to Likely R, depending on McCain's successor.

First, there will probably be some voters who will vote R out of sympathy.

More importantly, though, having two seemingly-competitive Senate seats, in a year where Dems need to win all they can get, will bring LOTS of attention to Arizona. This will create a massive Ossoff Effect where millions are poured into a super-nationalized race. And the truth is, there would simply be more Republicans than Democrats in Arizona in 2018, and the nationalization of the race will wipe out any enthusiasm advantage Democrats have.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 03:15:51 PM by ERM64man »

If there is a special election in 2018, then I predict that it (and Flake's reelection) will be Lean to Likely R, depending on McCain's successor.

More importantly, though, having two seemingly-competitive Senate seats, in a year where Dems need to win all they can get, will bring LOTS of attention to Arizona. This will create a massive Ossoff Effect where millions are poured into a super-nationalized race. And the truth is, there would simply be more Republicans than Democrats in Arizona in 2018, and the nationalization of the race will wipe out any enthusiasm advantage Democrats have.
Would Paul Gosar, Trent Franks, or David Schweikert would beat any Democrat? Would Republican Martha McSally lose to a Tea Party challenger?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »

Would Paul Gosar, Trent Franks, or David Schweikert would beat any Democrat?

This is the GOP we're talking about. Plenty of GOPers will vote for crazy people if they have an R next to their name.

And this is especially so when Arizona Republicans know that their vote will determine whether the Senate has a GOP majority or not.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »

Will this seat opening up suck any talented Democratic pol out of the race against Flake? I can't help but be concerned that Flake will basically get a pass if this seat opens up because it'd be such an easier seat to go for.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2017, 03:22:25 PM »

Will this seat opening up suck any talented Democratic pol out of the race against Flake? I can't help but be concerned that Flake will basically get a pass if this seat opens up because it'd be such an easier seat to go for.

I think McCain lasts past the 2018 elections, not till 2022, but past 2018.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »

I'd wager that Stanton stays in the race against Flake and Sinema goes for McCain's seat instead. They're our two absolute best candidates.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »

If McSally's appointed, does she win the GOP primary?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »

If McSally's appointed, does she win the GOP primary?
I'd say she has a very tough time winning, considering her similarity to McCain, who barely struggled to cross 50% last year, and the fact that the more conservative and Trumpist "base" probably doesn't like her. This time, she'd lack McCain's advantage of long term incumbency. Her being from southern Arizona also potentially leaves an opening for someone from Maricopa Coutny. I'd imagine in that case, Graham and DeWit work out a deal where one goes for each seat. Schweikert, Franks, and/or Gosar, may also be interested in a promotion to the upper chamber.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »

Is Arizona open or closed primary?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »

Even if McCain makes a miraculous recovery, he still probably retires in 2022. Democrats probably have a shot at picking it up (but let's not dance on McCain's grave).
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »

Even if McCain makes a miraculous recovery, he still probably retires in 2022. Democrats probably have a shot at picking it up (but let's not dance on McCain's grave).
Even if he somehow recovers, I can see him resigning to focus on fighting the cancer. Tom Coburn, who is still alive, resigned in 2014.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2017, 09:52:50 PM »

her
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »

Would Kelli Ward win the GOP primary against Flake (for Class 1) or McSally (for Class 3)? Would Ward win the general election against a fairly strong Democrat?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 11:53:40 PM »

I think there's a non-zero chance Ward is appointed. Ducey knows she'd lose the primary, and it saves Flake from his primary opposition. I think it would be a cunning move.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2017, 11:55:38 PM »

Would Kelli Ward win the GOP primary against Flake (for Class 1) or McSally (for Class 3)? Would Ward win the general election against a fairly strong Democrat?
McSally would definitely be the better opponent for Ward, by far. Much more of a "contrast" between the two, especially on foreign policy, but also on economics, two issues where she's way more like Flake than like McSally.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2017, 12:14:40 AM »

This is the GOP we're talking about. Plenty of GOPers will vote for crazy people if they have an R next to their name.

And this is especially so when Arizona Republicans know that their vote will determine whether the Senate has a GOP majority or not.

Arizona has an even balance in partisan registration. The reason the state leans R is because of R-leaning independents who don't feel as bound to the party as registered Rs.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2017, 12:48:45 AM »

Arizona has an even balance in partisan registration. The reason the state leans R is because of R-leaning independents who don't feel as bound to the party as registered Rs.
GOP-leaning independents might not vote for a candidate like Ward or Schweikert.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »

Ward is now calling for McCain to step down as soon as possible: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/politics/kfile-kelli-ward-mccain-diagnosis/index.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies