John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:55:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer  (Read 9854 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »
« edited: July 19, 2017, 10:09:14 PM by NewYorkExpress »

I heard about this today on the radio, but I didn't realize his tumor was this bad. Terrible news.

And the tragic irony here is that his mother (who's around 105, if I recall correctly) is very likely to see her son die, which is always one of the worst things a mother can experience.

That said, if he dies or retires, particularly before the midterms, how would he be succeeded in the Senate? Would there be a special election or would the governor appoint someone to take his place before the next regular elections?

Governor Ducey appoints a Republican to fill the seat and there would be a special election on November 6, 2018 to carry out the remainder of the term until January 3, 2023.

I would guess Kelli Ward would be appointed on a rental basis, as she's already running against Flake, and then proceeds to lose either the primary or the general.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 09:39:15 PM by PittsburghSteel »

Prayers for the Senator. He is facing a new battle on a new war field, but nevertheless, I believe he has what it takes to win again.

I now feel absolutely horrible for criticizing his slip-ups during the Comey hearing. Sad
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 09:39:03 PM »

I heard about this today on the radio, but I didn't realize his tumor was this bad. Terrible news.

And the tragic irony here is that his mother (who's around 105, if I recall correctly) is very likely to see her son die, which is always one of the worst things a mother can experience.

Don't most people expect to experience the death of their parents/in-laws? And statistically most women do outlive their husbands.

But, yes, outliving one of your children is very unusual and uniquely traumatic. It wouldn't surprise me if she does not pass away relatively soon after he does.

True. Why do most wives outlive their husbands?

Also, most parents do pass away after their children sadly die.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »

Another thought - Jimmy Carter underwent experimental immunotherapy treatments when he was diagnosed with melanoma, and now it's in remission. Is something like that possible with his tumor? (I doubt it, considering the blood-brain barrier complicating treatment and the fact that no such option was floated in the news, but I want to see what's out there.)
I was hearing about some experimental treatment on Fox - specifically, The Five.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »

I'm wishing for him to get well soon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »

I knew someone who didn't last a year from brain cancer. It can kill fast.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »

Another thought - Jimmy Carter underwent experimental immunotherapy treatments when he was diagnosed with melanoma, and now it's in remission. Is something like that possible with his tumor? (I doubt it, considering the blood-brain barrier complicating treatment and the fact that no such option was floated in the news, but I want to see what's out there.)
I was hearing about some experimental treatment on Fox - specifically, The Five.

Carter may have had a different type of brain cancer too
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »

Which is why everyone should support universal health care, so that American citizens don't suffer from lack of decent medical care.
swf541

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »

Carter had a much less aggressive cancer type than McCain has and it was extremely surprising Carter managed to recover at his age with any type of cancer.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »

I knew someone who didn't last a year from brain cancer. It can kill fast.

My grandmother was diagnosed with brain cancer in December of 2013. We lost her in September of 2014.  Its something I wouldnt wish on anyone.
swf541

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »

Which is why everyone should support universal health care, so that American citizens don't suffer from lack of decent medical care.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »

Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »

John McCain is an American hero. He was the shining light of a great generation. This is man of myth, and a living legend. His sacrifices will always be remembered.

I'm sure that if anyone can defeat this, it is him. I hope that cancer may have met its match.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »

John McCain is an American hero. He was the shining light of a great generation. This is man of myth, and a living legend. His sacrifices will always be remembered.

I'm sure that if anyone can defeat this, it is him. I hope that cancer may have met its match.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2017, 10:19:55 PM »

Don't most people expect to experience the death of their parents/in-laws? And statistically most women do outlive their husbands.

But, yes, outliving one of your children is very unusual and uniquely traumatic. It wouldn't surprise me if she does not pass away relatively soon after he does.

Remember that Debbie Reynolds only lived for one more day after Carrie Fischer died..
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »

I'm truly shocked.

I first really cared about politics in 2008. He was the first candidate I supported. That seems like forever ago.

Today, I was wondering when he would leave the Senate. I wondered if he would live through with his passion of being a senator as Strom Thurmond had. I hope I'm wrong.

I truly thank him for his service to the American people, from Vietnam to the Senate.

To all of those who pray, pray for him, and for all of those who simply wish one well, wish him well, more than you normally would. God bless this hero, and here's to hoping he lives the rest of his life without pain and with the chance to survive.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2017, 11:02:32 PM »

The terrible irony attached to this is amazing and appalling, because the exact same thing happened to Joe Biden in 2015, and this is the exact same cancer that killed Beau, down to type and staging.

I'm actually stunned speechless. It was actually going to be a plot point in my Giffords timeline that McCain would be struck down by cancer, and good god almighty, I never thought, nor wanted to imagine, that I would actually be right.  I absolutely hate McCain as a politician, but I would wish end-stage brain cancer on literally nobody. I sincerely hope McCain beats the tremendously long odds attached to GBM, but if not, I'm glad he at least got to have 81 years.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »

I know people that died in their late 50's and 60's from that kind of cancer, Ted Kennedy died from that kind of cancer...he'll be lucky to get to a year.

Wouldn't wish this on anyone.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:15 AM »

I know people that died in their late 50's and 60's from that kind of cancer, Ted Kennedy died from that kind of cancer...he'll be lucky to get to a year.

Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Yeah, the person I knew who didn't last a year was in their late 50s, and probably in pretty good health otherwise.
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »

I just heard the news after being stuck in a car for the past several hours. I am really pulling for him, although I have not always agreed with him on everything I never doubted even for a second that he was a patriot who loved this country. I truly hope he makes a full recovery.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:24 AM »

Pretty much anything I have to say about John McCain will have to be saved for AAD.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:06 AM »

They brought in a doctor who seemed to understand brain cancer rather well.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2017, 03:01:37 AM »

I guess that's a possible explanation for McCain's seemingly confused and incoherent behavior in the last Comey testimony.

In any case, terrible news... wish him a speedy recovery (even if it's uncertain that this will be possible).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies