John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:09:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer  (Read 9721 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »

This is sad news. I first met him as a delegate to the 2008 RNC and with more time to talk at a fundraiser in Chicago later that year. He was again at a fundraiser outside of Chicago that I attended last fall. I got a chance to talk to him about health care. I came away with the clear impression that he thought that some of the senior Senators could work to craft a bipartisan solution, perhaps along the lines he supported during the 2007-2008 term when he ran for president.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 07:30:49 PM »

Horrible news, I am really hoping for a full recovery.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »

Oh wow. How awful.
Now his inability to properly communicate in that past Senate hearing makes sense.
CNN is saying it is the same type of brain cancer that took Ted Kennedy.

Ted Kennedy and Beau Biden, IIRC.

Very sad news, and especially sad when you remember that Senator McCain visited Mo Udall's bedside as the latter was dying from complications from Parkinsons. Hopefully McCain will have someone to visit him in his last days...
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »

Sad news. His treatment sounds very rough so I hope he's with family and is as comfortable as possible during the process.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »

Yikes! That explains some of his slip ups in those Senate hearings. Hope he gets well soon.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 07:47:26 PM »

Yikes! That explains some of his slip ups in those Senate hearings. Hope he gets well soon.

Unfortunately, his brain cancer is basically the worst kind of brain cancer, the ultra-aggressive type that not mainly people (especially at his age) recover from.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:54 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 08:00:11 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

I heard about this today on the radio, but I didn't realize his tumor was this bad. Terrible news.

And the tragic irony here is that his mother (who's around 105, if I recall correctly) is very likely to see her son die, which is always one of the worst things a mother can experience.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »

I heard about this today on the radio, but I didn't realize his tumor was this bad. Terrible news.

And the tragic irony here is that his mother (who's around 105, if I recall correctly) is very likely to see her son die, which is always one of the worst things a mother can experience.

She'll have seen her father-in-law, husband, and son die. Which must be an awful experience.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »

That said, if he dies or retires, particularly before the midterms, how would he be succeeded in the Senate? Would there be a special election or would the governor appoint someone to take his place before the next regular elections?

According to http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate.aspx, the Governor would appoint a successor of the same party as McCain, and the appointee serves until the next regularly-scheduled, statewide general election, which I assume would be 2018.  The person elected at the same time would serve out the remainder of McCain's six-year term (he's up in 2022).
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »

That said, if he dies or retires, particularly before the midterms, how would he be succeeded in the Senate? Would there be a special election or would the governor appoint someone to take his place before the next regular elections?

Governor Ducey appoints a Republican to fill the seat and there would be a special election on November 6, 2018 to carry out the remainder of the term until January 3, 2023.
Higgins
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »

I disagree with McCain in almost every way, but he and his family have my deepest sympathies and well wishes. Cancer is everyone's enemy.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »

I've seen firsthand and up-close just how terribly brain cancer can ravage a human being. Politics aside, I hope he is able to find peace in the time he has left.

God willing, he will have the good sense to step down from his senate duties as soon as possible.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »

I'm just completely shocked. This is absolutely terrible.

My thoughts and prayers are with Senator McCain and his family.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »

John McCain is an American hero. He was the shining light of a great generation. This is man of myth, and a living legend. His sacrifices will always be remembered.

I'm sure that if anyone can defeat this, it is him. I hope that cancer may have met its match.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »

John McCain probably inspired me to get into politics. He's a hero and a great man. I hope he gets better and beats this horrible disease.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »

It's a good thing that he has considerable financial resources to fight this. He'll be just fine.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »

I'm just completely shocked. This is absolutely terrible.

My thoughts and prayers are with Senator McCain and his family.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »

Awful news Sad

Prayers to him and his family. I saw him speak last week and he, at 80 years old, still looked full of energy.

I hope he maintains that energetic spirit as he battles cancer. It does look very difficult, in terms of him surviving, but nothing is ever over without a fight. And John McCain knows what it means to be a fighter, more than most people.

When I was younger I did not appreciate him as a political figure and often sided with ideological purists in opposing him. But since 2012, I have learned to not only appreciate his political accomplishments but also admire him as a role model.

He's not only a prominent Senator, but also the heart of the Republican Party. He is a military and political hero, to me, and I am rooting for him in this fight.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »

This is the kind Ted Kennedy had as well - apparently it has an affinity for derailing health care proposals

Not now.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »

This is horrible. Hopefully he can recover or at least, he gets a pain free 5 or so years.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »

Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

Another thought - Jimmy Carter underwent experimental immunotherapy treatments when he was diagnosed with melanoma, and now it's in remission. Is something like that possible with his tumor? (I doubt it, considering the blood-brain barrier complicating treatment and the fact that no such option was floated in the news, but I want to see what's out there.)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »

She'll have seen her father-in-law, husband, and son die. Which must be an awful experience.

It's pretty guaranteed by living to 105 that you'll outlive most of your family, though. It's a trade-off.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »

Don't most people expect to experience the death of their parents/in-laws? And statistically most women do outlive their husbands.

But, yes, outliving one of your children is very unusual and uniquely traumatic. It wouldn't surprise me if she does not pass away relatively soon after he does.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies