John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:49:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer  (Read 9811 times)
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »

John McCain is an American legend. Volunteered for his team in his Arlington headquarters in 2008 off and on and door to door. He has always inspired me and this is damn tragic for such a man after all he's been through. I hope he comes out of this successfully but I am cautiously optimistic, glio patients typically only have around 12-14 months, although 3% or so have made it another 5 years.

Just tragic overall but he has always been a fighter. Semper Fortis, Senator.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta spoke to doctors involved in McCain's care with permission from his family. Gupta added because of the nature of the tumor, McCain will likely need more procedures in the coming weeks. There is no specific treatment used for glioblastoma, instead there are a few different approaches doctors can take Gupta said on Wednesday. "This is a malignant cancer, what that means in this case is that you operate on this," he said. "It needs to be treated as well with chemotherapy and radiation." When a cancer is malignant, this means cells are dividing uncontrollably and can invade nearby tissues and may also spread to other parts of the body through the blood stream or lymph system in the body.

The ABTA labels the prognosis for glioblastoma survival in terms of median survival -- the length of time at which an equal number of patients do better and an equal number of patients do worse. Depending on the type of glioblastoma and treatment used, this can range from 14 months to three years. The association also cites a 2009 study that found 10% of patients with glioblastoma may live five years or longer. The average survival time for malignant glioblastoma is around 14 months with treatment, Gupta said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/20/health/what-is-glioblastoma-john-mccain-brain-tumor/index.html
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »

Damn... He's a hero and a man I truly respect , I hope he somehow recovers Sad
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »

I guess that's a possible explanation for McCain's seemingly confused and incoherent behavior in the last Comey testimony.

In any case, terrible news... wish him a speedy recovery (even if it's uncertain that this will be possible).

Exactly my thoughts. At the time, it made me think of the behavior I've seen around seizures and mini-strokes, so it is likely related. So awful to see. Sad

My prayers are with him, his family, and his care team. Mayo in Rochester is the best option, and I hope they are able to at least limit his suffering if nothing else.

And, as much as it is an awful situation, perhaps this may enlighten the current debate in Congress.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »

Hope he can get through this........FF as a person.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »

No he isn't. He doesn't deserve cancer but let's not pretend he's in anyway a "good person."
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »

Sad news indeed. I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, and brain cancer can be particularly nasty. Hope McCain doesn't suffer too much and can at least enjoy some time with his family.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 11:51:21 AM by Old School Republican »

This is extremely sad news , and I hope Senator McCain recovers from this as quickly as possible  . Senator McCain is one of the biggest FF in congress , and always throughout his life as put country over himself and for that we should be forever grateful.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »

No he isn't. He doesn't deserve cancer but let's not pretend he's in anyway a "good person."

Stop.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2017, 12:07:10 PM »

John McCain‏Verified account @SenJohnMcCain  2 hours ago
I greatly appreciate the outpouring of support - unfortunately for my sparring partners in Congress, I'll be back soon, so stand-by!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »

Terrible. Wish him the best.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »

Though I think McCain is a decent guy personally, he forfeit his "maverick" status when he voted with Bush 90% of the time and, after 2009, belonged to the GOP obstructionist machine in Congress. I'd call him FF personally and HP politically.
Angel of Death
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »

Obama's tweet in support has exactly 140 characters, so he likely put some effort in composing it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »

Obama's tweet in support has exactly 140 characters, so he likely put some effort in composing it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:22 PM »

Though I think McCain is a decent guy personally, he forfeit his "maverick" status when he voted with Bush 90% of the time and, after 2009, belonged to the GOP obstructionist machine in Congress. I'd call him FF personally and HP politically.
You can't separate the two. McCain is the ultimate politician. His alleged torture doesn't absolve him for his many, many sins.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »

You can't separate the two. McCain is the ultimate politician. His alleged torture doesn't absolve him for his many, many sins.

“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »

Hey, I can honestly say that I didn't start advocating for the Iraq War as rubble was being cleared from Ground Zero. I can say I've never loved the idea of bombing a nation so much that I break out into song. I can say I was never a member of the Keating 5,  and I had nothing to do with the elevation of Sarah Palin into the national conscious.

How many stones do I get?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »

Hey, I can honestly say that I didn't start advocating for the Iraq War as rubble was being cleared from Ground Zero. I can say I've never loved the idea of bombing a nation so much that I break out into song. I can say I was never a member of the Keating 5,  and I had nothing to do with the elevation of Sarah Palin into the national conscious.

Disgusting
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 05:54:49 PM by Senator PiT »

Hey, I can honestly say that I didn't start advocating for the Iraq War as rubble was being cleared from Ground Zero. I can say I've never loved the idea of bombing a nation so much that I break out into song. I can say I was never a member of the Keating 5,  and I had nothing to do with the elevation of Sarah Palin into the national conscious.

Disgusting

He's 80 years old and you can genuinely make an argument that his votes and his policies have led to thousands dying before they ever reach that age. He can f**k off.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »

Disgusting

He's 80 years old and you can genuinely make an argument that his votes and his policies have led to thousands dying before they ever reach that age. Both you and him can f**k off.

You're an exemplar of a human being, you know that?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »

Disgusting

He's 80 years old and you can genuinely make an argument that his votes and his policies have led to thousands dying before they ever reach that age. Both you and him can f**k off.

Yes he did vote to send our young men off to war. But unlike the other senators and reps in Congress, he has seen war first hand. The man is a war hero who spent over 5 years as a POW. He knew what he was doing when he voted for the war because he has saw it and lived through it.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2017, 05:02:21 PM »

Disgusting

Yes he did vote to send our young men off to war. But unlike the other senators and reps in Congress, he has seen war first hand. The man is a war hero who spent over 5 years as a POW. He knew what he was doing when he voted for the war because he has saw it and lived through it.

John McCain served honorably and was a hero in a stupid and pointless war and has allowed for thousands of Americans to feel the same exhilaration. What a hero.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »

Disgusting

John McCain served honorably and was a hero in a stupid and pointless war and has allowed for thousands of Americans to feel the same exhilaration. What a hero.

Do you believe you could be a fighter pilot and last for 5+ years in a Vietnamese POW camp hero?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »

I stand behind PublicUnofficial 100%. McCain is garbage and nothing will wipe the blood of his hands.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »

Disgusting

Do you believe you could be a fighter pilot and last for 5+ years in a Vietnamese POW camp hero?
I know I have enough of a soul to not pimp out my experiences.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies