Members of your party that you want to loose re-election to the senate in 2006?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:12:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Members of your party that you want to loose re-election to the senate in 2006?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Members of your party that you want to loose re-election to the senate in 2006?  (Read 3944 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »

On matters of Constitutional law and Senate history and procedure, he is one of the intellectual heavyweights of the chamber.

The way things are going these days it's tempting to replace "one" with "only" Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Byrd's involvement with the KKK seems to have been motivated by cynicism (he's no more racist than anyone else of his age and background. You can all argue that's not much of an achievement but that's beside the point) more than anything else (whether that makes it better or worse is o/c debatable) than anything else; he left as soon as it gave him all it could give him (ie; a seat in the WV legislature). Byrd is a very interesting (and very strange) person actually... West Virginia is full of colourful politicians and feuds (30 years on the Rahall v Hechler feud hasn't ended...)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 02:14:09 PM »

Wishful thinking, but this is mainly for primary purposes:

Eliot Spitzer or Carolyn Maloney to knock off Hilary Clinton (NY)

Rosa DeLauro to defeat Joe Lieberman (CT)

Pete Stark to defeat Dianne Feinstein (CA)

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 05:27:59 PM »

I wouldn't mind santorum losing...but casey, ideologically, isn't the best alternative.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 05:49:08 PM »

Feinstein voted for CAFTA. I'm not a big fan of Democrats who vote to outsource more American jobs overseas and south of the border.
WTF?? CAFTA wasn't a bill to send jobs overseas. It's a trade bill. The only way you'd loose your job for it is if you are too lazy to find a better job than one that *might* go over seas.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 05:54:07 PM »

Feinstein voted for CAFTA. I'm not a big fan of Democrats who vote to outsource more American jobs overseas and south of the border.
WTF?? CAFTA wasn't a bill to send jobs overseas. It's a trade bill. The only way you'd loose your job for it is if you are too lazy to find a better job than one that *might* go over seas.

A lot of high-tech jobs are going overseas. Not too long ago the comparnies were trying to claim that there'd be a shortage of 50 million (or something like that) programmers by 2005. Now there are 3 million fewer high tech jobs in America then in 2000. High tech jobs were supposed to the wave of the future. Where I went undergrad, the number of people wanting to major in CS halved between the Fall 2001 and Spring 2002 semesters.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2005, 05:54:59 PM »

No, the way you'd lose your job is by working minimum wage for a big corporation that wants to pay even lower wages by outsourcing to poor countries.  Doesn't depend on how lazy you are.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2005, 05:59:21 PM »

No, the way you'd lose your job is by working minimum wage for a big corporation that wants to pay even lower wages by outsourcing to poor countries.  Doesn't depend on how lazy you are.

Did you read what I typed?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 06:02:34 PM »

No; I got the "another message has been posted while you were typing" thing.  Our views don't really contradict each other...
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2005, 06:03:01 PM »

A lot of high-tech jobs are going overseas. Not too long ago the comparnies were trying to claim that there'd be a shortage of 50 million (or something like that) programmers by 2005. Now there are 3 million fewer high tech jobs in America then in 2000. High tech jobs were supposed to the wave of the future. Where I went undergrad, the number of people wanting to major in CS halved between the Fall 2001 and Spring 2002 semesters.

Sending high-tech jobs overseas will not be a consequence of CAFTA.  If high-tech jobs are to be outsourced, they will go to Eastern Europe, India, or China, not to some third-world Central American country.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 06:04:15 PM »

Sending high-tech jobs overseas will not be a consequence of CAFTA.  If high-tech jobs are to be outsourced, they will go to Eastern Europe, India, or China, not to some third-world Central American country.

I didn't claim that CAFTA specifically would cause this.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2005, 06:06:53 PM »

Sending high-tech jobs overseas will not be a consequence of CAFTA.  If high-tech jobs are to be outsourced, they will go to Eastern Europe, India, or China, not to some third-world Central American country.

You put it in response to a CAFTA post, so it looked like you did.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2005, 06:09:18 PM »

You put it in response to a CAFTA post, so it looked like you did.

So are you claiming that this sentence only applies to CAFTA?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2005, 06:10:41 PM »

I think he's just claiming that the discussion was about CAFTA, not the specific sentence you were replying to.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2005, 06:23:30 PM »

CAFTA wasn't a bill to send jobs overseas. It's a trade bill. The only way you'd loose your job for it is if you are too lazy to find a better job than one that *might* go over seas.

You have a lot to learn, my friend. It has nothing to do with being lazy.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2005, 06:24:48 PM »

The farmers will be the ones hit hardest by CAFTA.

It will also have a negative effect on workers in Central America.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2005, 07:01:09 PM »

Who, in your own party, do you want to loose re-election to the senate in 2006?

For me, it's Hillary Clinton and Bob Byrd.

What is your objection to Hillary?  From everything I've heard, she has been a very effective Senator.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »

For this I’m counting myself as a Republican.
I’d pick Orrin Hatch and Lincoln Chafee, there's probably more, but I don't know much about most of them.  The Republican party isn't much better than the Democrats right now Sad
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2005, 09:50:35 PM »

Who, in your own party, do you want to loose re-election to the senate in 2006?

For me, it's Hillary Clinton and Bob Byrd.

What is your objection to Hillary?  From everything I've heard, she has been a very effective Senator.
Did you read anything about the GTA ordeal?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2005, 02:33:38 AM »

Apologies to the Plains, but the farmers definitely could use a little hurt.

I've ranted to you about farm subsidies before, and I won't do it again.  Any rants about the "poor small-time farmer" will not work on me.

And if the Costa Rican workers are going to be hurt by this, then Costa Rica doesn't have to enter CAFTA.  We aren't forcing them to do so.  And in fact, it'll help them immensely...lower prices for consumer goods--and a better export market for the goods they produce.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2005, 07:48:22 AM »

Welcome to the collapse of the tech bubble.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2005, 08:52:41 AM »

It will also have a negative effect on workers in Central America.

It's predicted that the sugar industry in Texas and Louisiana will be hit hardest.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2005, 03:57:36 AM »

Wishful thinking, but this is mainly for primary purposes:

Eliot Spitzer or Carolyn Maloney to knock off Hilary Clinton (NY)

Rosa DeLauro to defeat Joe Lieberman (CT)

Pete Stark to defeat Dianne Feinstein (CA)

I live in CT and we never hear anything from DeLauro, she's very quiet. The only House Member who ever does anything is Chris Shays-R-4,  and I like him b/c he is an outspoken opponent of the Southern wing of his own party.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lieberman replaced but the Dump Joe rumors exist only on the Internet, there's no backing for it in this state.

I don't know where all the hate towards Bob Byrd is coming from. It was 60 years ago, give it a friggin rest.

Now that Zell Miller is gone, I honestly can't think of any Dems I'd like to see replaced, besides Lieberman. 
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2005, 08:00:30 AM »

Joe Lieberman is not a bad guy.

Now that Zell Miller is gone, I honestly can't think of any Dems I'd like to see replaced, besides Lieberman. 

Zell was once one of my favorite Democrats.  Then he had to speak at the RNC...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2005, 08:48:19 AM »

Yeah, and what a speech he gave.  He should become a motivational speaker.  hahaha . . . Hey, can I have a fantasy dream ticket for 2008 and put Perot/Miller together?  Just think of it . . . at least 4 years of catchy Southern sayings.  hehehe
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2005, 03:11:38 PM »

Yeah, and what a speech he gave.  He should become a motivational speaker.  hahaha . . . Hey, can I have a fantasy dream ticket for 2008 and put Perot/Miller together?  Just think of it . . . at least 4 years of catchy Southern sayings.  hehehe

Dana Carvey would like that...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies