Can a person change their racial status by converting religions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:20:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Can a person change their racial status by converting religions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Can a person change their racial status by converting religions?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Can a person change their racial status by converting religions?  (Read 491 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »

Of course not. I remember getting into an argument on AAD over whether "white/Muslim" is a valid dichotomy and pointed out this Vox writer is a Muslim:

I mean would anyone seriously argue that she ceased to be white upon converting?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »

Look at all those whites pouring across the southern border.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »

The point of the thread your referencing sailed by you.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »

Depends on if you consider "jewish" to be a race or not. Ive had several tell me it is, not that I buy it.
Higgins
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »

Yes. I'd argue Judaism and Islam aren't religions in the traditional sense. They are religions, but not in the way Christianity is. If you're a Jew or a Muslim, you're looked upon differently here in the US (generally speaking). Every Jew I have ever met identifies as Jewish, not White, and most of them are of very pale complexion. Muslims are often thought of as another ethnicity where I come from especially by older folks as a catch-all for Arabs.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »

Yes. I'd argue Judaism and Islam aren't religions in the traditional sense. They are religions, but not in the way Christianity is. If you're a Jew or a Muslim, you're looked upon differently here in the US (generally speaking). Every Jew I have ever met identifies as Jewish, not White, and most of them are of very pale complexion. Muslims are often thought of as another ethnicity where I come from especially by older folks as a catch-all for Arabs.

Yeah. Last week a buddy of mine who is a practicing pale face christian explained that he is jewish under jewish law because his mother was jewish and will therefore always be jewish even though he has never personally identified as Jewish or believed in their religion. Sounds like a totally legit way to identify groups.

Higgins
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »

Yeah. Last week a buddy of mine who is a practicing pale face christian explained that he is jewish under jewish law because his mother was jewish and will therefore always be jewish even though he has never personally identified as Jewish or believed in their religion. Sounds like a totally legit way to identify groups.

I'm speaking simply from personal experience. Jews I've met don't identify as white, even if they are. Islam has the same sort of thing going on, but that's because we've made Muslims feel like "the other", to the extent that it's enforced their group social mentality.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »

I'm speaking simply from personal experience. Jews I've met don't identify as white, even if they are. Islam has the same sort of thing going on, but that's because we've made Muslims feel like "the other", to the extent that it's enforced their group social mentality.
Not really. Islam is a religion that transcends race or ethnicity, and being a Muslim is more important to its adherents than being, say, an Arab or Malay, even in majority-Muslim countries.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:12:16 PM »

Depends on if you consider "jewish" to be a race or not. Ive had several tell me it is, not that I buy it.

Isn't Jewish ethnicity a separate thing from being religiously Jewish?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »

Isn't Jewish ethnicity a separate thing from being religiously Jewish?

It's complicated. I say that Judaism is an ethnoreligion. There is an ethnic factor and a religion factor when it comes to analyzing Jewishness.

I am ethnically Jewish and also believe in Judaism as a religion, despite not being religious.

By Orthodox Jewish law, a mother has to be ethnically Jewish for their children to be Jewish by ethnicity and religion.

One can convert to Judaism as a religion, which than also makes them apart of the Jewish peoplehood as a whole, even though they weren't born Jewish ethnically.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »

Well if we want to be anecdotal,every Jew I know considers themselves white, and Census data shows most do.

And using "Muslim" as a catchall for "Arab" makes literally ZERO sense, as the majority of Arabs in the US aren't Muslim, and the majority of Muslims in the US aren't Arab. There is NO basis for it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies