Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:03:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat  (Read 5237 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »

http://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2017/07/20/christies-last-big-move-could-be-filling-menendezs-seat-113458

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »

Christie's appointee might even have a harder time than Guadagno - the stench of Christie is a kiss of death.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

Christie might appoint himself.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »

Oh
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »

Okay. If this happens, that appointee isn't gonna win the election.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »

Virginia, when the special election would be held? 2017 or 2018?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 02:04:46 PM by Virginia »

Christie's appointee might even have a harder time than Guadagno - the stench of Christie is a kiss of death.

Probably, the most worrying part is possibly giving Republicans an extra Senate vote until the 2018 midterms. In this instance, I think calling a special election would be even worse for for the Republican candidate than holding on until Nov 2018.

Surely some time in 2018. You need time for the primary and the GE. Or, he could just let it happen at the same time as the midterms.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »

This. And Christie has repeatedly said he doesn't want to be in the Senate.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »

I hope Chris appoints himself! He deserves it. Smiley Hopefully they can get an extra wide chair made for him so he doesn't break the antique furniture.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »

Probably, the most worrying part is possibly giving Republicans an extra Senate vote until the 2018 midterms. In this instance, I think calling a special election would be even worse for for the Republican candidate than holding on until Nov 2018.

Surely some time in 2018. You need time for the primary and the GE. Or, he could just let it happen at the same time as the midterms.
The governor can't schedule a special election, an election (regular or special), would be held during the 2018 midterm. Even if Christie appoints a Republican, a Democrat will win that seat in 2018 anyway. I don't see why Christie wouldn't want to temporarily give New Jersey Republicans more time in statewide office, especially when they won't hold statewide office much longer.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »

The governor can't schedule a special election, an election (regular or special), would be held during the 2018 midterm

What do you mean? He did just that in 2013. Even the article explicitly states he can call a special election before the 2018 GE.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »

The governor can't schedule a special election, an election (regular or special), would be held during the 2018 midterm

What do you mean? He did just that in 2013. Even the article explicitly states he can call a special election before the 2018 GE.
He did that in 2013 because he didn't want to share the ticket with Booker. At that time, he was very popular and was headed towards a landslide reelection victory. Now, with him being termed out, he'll just want Republicans to hold that seat as long as possible, and with nothing else for him to do, and with his approvals so low he probably does not even care anymore, I can see him just set the special date at the same time as the 2018 GE (saves money), the GOP holds the seat until then, and  he stays in the Senate for about a whole year.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 02:34:31 PM by ERM64man »

He did that in 2013 because he didn't want to share the ticket with Booker. At that time, he was very popular and was headed towards a landslide reelection victory. Now, with him being termed out, he'll just want Republicans to hold that seat as long as possible, and with nothing else for him to do, and with his approvals so low he probably does not even care anymore, I can see him just set the special date at the same time as the 2018 GE (saves money), the GOP holds the seat until then, and  he stays in the Senate for about a whole year.
He might not want to serve a full term. I can see him wanting to just be a placeholder, especially for the GOP to hold a Senate seat a Democrat will win anyway.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »

The governor can't schedule a special election, an election (regular or special), would be held during the 2018 midterm. Even if Christie appoints a Republican, a Democrat will win that seat in 2018 anyway. I don't see why Christie wouldn't want to temporarily give New Jersey Republicans more time in statewide office, especially when they won't hold statewide office much longer.

A New Jersey Republican could win under the right circumstances. Yes, NJ is a blue state, but if the "Resist" movement gets nowhere, a Republican like Jeff Chiesa or Joe Kyrillos could win if they don't distance themselves from Trump too much that they lose the conservative base.

If they talk about jobs, taxes, corruption, they could win. Soon to be New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy's approval ratings may matter as well, the N.J. Democrat will use Christie/Guadagno/Trump against the Republican.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »

Would Chris Christie want to serve in the Senate without serving a full term?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 05:13:39 AM »

Imagine if this results in the 50th vote for TrumpCare.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 06:28:05 AM »

Why not Tom Kenan Jr.? Everyone always talks about him
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »

Honestly we should be blaming Menendez for this, not Christie. My hope is that the trial drags out and he doesn't leave 'til January, when Murphy can appoint some random Democrat to fill the seat.

But even if a Republican gets appointed, there is simply no way they win a full term in Nov. 2018. That's simply not possible in this political climate
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »

I suspect Tom Kean Jr., Joe Kyrillos, or Christine Todd Whitman would get the seat. Maybe Kate Whitman.

Don Guardian or Frank LoBiondo(or one of his children/chiefs of staff) are the only I can see holding it against someone like Fulop or Codey.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »

I think they would need a 2/3rds vote to expel Menendez?  In this political environment, I can't see a senator's own party providing votes to expel unless there was a video of a violent crime.

EDIT: It is 2/3rds in the Constitution.  I expect Schumer's response to be something like "If Menendez leaves early, he leaves the same day Trump leaves, otherwise forget it."

If Menendez is sentenced to several years in Prison, Schumer doesn't have much of a choice. It would be a choice between letting the seat effectively sit vacant for years (no voting from Prison) and letting a republican have it for a year. The latter option is actually better as Dems would get an active senator sooner.

And of course, if the trial drags out such that Phil Murphy gets to make the appointment, then it's a moot point as the senate margin isn't affected, and Menendez is probably expelled close to unanimously in that scenario.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 01:33:08 PM »

MENENDEZ!!! GRRRRRRRR...
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 02:12:39 PM »

We are under the assumption that Menendez gets convicted. That's an unwise assumption.

Unlike people from his own party, I'm sticking with Fighting Bob til the very end.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »

We are under the assumption that Menendez gets convicted. That's an unwise assumption.

Unlike people from his own party, I'm sticking with Fighting Bob til the very end.

Why you want to stick with Bob?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2017, 04:58:17 PM by superbudgie1582 »

Democrats have a super majority in both chambers of the legislature. If all else fails, they could just enact a law forcing Christie to appoint someone from the same party. It would probably pass this time if there were actual prospects of Menendez getting replaced by a Republican.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »

Democrats have a super majority in both chambers of the legislature. If all else fails, they could just enact a law forcing Christie to appoint someone from the same party. It would probably pass this time if there were actual prospects of Menendez getting replaced by a Republican.

I don't believe they are actually veto proof?  Regardless, all states should have this kind of law.

Your right. They only have 24 seats in the Senate but they need 27 votes.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies