43 Senators Sign on to Bill to Outlaw Support for Israel Boycotts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:19:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  43 Senators Sign on to Bill to Outlaw Support for Israel Boycotts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 43 Senators Sign on to Bill to Outlaw Support for Israel Boycotts  (Read 2538 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »

It's sooooo nice when our parties come together to make good laws.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

By the way the 14 Dems signed on to this thing:

-Schumer
-Wyden
-Cardin
-Gillibrand
-Cantwell
-Blumenthal
-Coons
-Peters
-McCaskill
-Menendez
-Donnelly
-Manchin
-Bennet

A corresponding bill in the House has gained the support of Steny Hoyer, Adam Schiff, Ted Lieu, and Eric Swalwell.

Traitors and shills, all of them.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »

I feel like SCOTUS would reject this if it were brought to them. This is brazenly unconstitutional.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »

Whatever AIPAC says is the real Gospel.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:31:09 PM »

It should not be illegal, as an individual, to hate or express hate towards others, or to make politically-motivated buying decisions in the free market. However, organized political boycotts like BDS are not mere hate, they hurt Israel and harm America's national interests. It's not about speech, and it's not only about Israel, since the bill applies to other friendly nations as well.

What products an individual chooses to buy or not is their business. Leading or participating in organized, politically-motivated boycotts is harmful and subversive to the national interest.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »

The Intercept isn't a great source for stuff like this. The bill likely needs to be cleaned up a bit to pass constitutional muster, but I'm of the firm opinion that BDS is an anti-semitic hate group and should be treated like any other anti-semitic hate group.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 02:34:47 PM by LouisvilleThunder »

It should not be illegal, as an individual, to hate or express hate towards others, or to make politically-motivated buying decisions in the free market. However, organized political boycotts like BDS are not mere hate, they hurt Israel and harm America's national interests. It's not about speech, and it's not only about Israel, since the bill applies to other friendly nations as well.

What products an individual chooses to buy or not is their business. Leading or participating in organized, politically-motivated boycotts is harmful and subversive to the national interest.
Which Americans actually benefit from the "national interest?" Why should it be a felony to not support a foreign government? What about America's government policies that are hateful towards Palestinians?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »

Which Americans actually benefit from the "national interest?" Why should it be a felony to not support a foreign government? What about America's government policies that are hateful towards Palestinians?
Please explain how American foreign policy is hateful towards Palestinians. The US is the leading funder of UNRWA, has always supported a two-state solution, does not endorse Israeli settlements in the West Bank, and engages with Palestinian leaders.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »

Zealous, no-compromise support for Israel is the biggest red flag politically for me. Anyone who can rationalize this bill is unAmerican scum.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »

F[inks] AIPAC.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »

I feel like SCOTUS would reject this if it were brought to them. This is brazenly unconstitutional.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »

Assuming, of course, it's accurate. The article loses its credibility from the starts when it claims there's a witch hunt against pro-palestinian activists on campuses. That's a joke, and in fact the exact opposite is true, with Jewish students being denied seats on student government unless they pledge their loyalty to BDS.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 03:02:24 PM »

Assuming, of course, it's accurate. The article loses its credibility from the starts when it claims there's a witch hunt against pro-palestinian activists on campuses. That's a joke, and in fact the exact opposite is true, with Jewish students being denied seats on student government unless they pledge their loyalty to BDS.

I understand you not liking The Intercept, they have a very clear demonstrated bias against nations that constantly commit war crimes and have a secret unregulated nuclear problem.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »

... in fact the exact opposite is true, with Jewish students being denied seats on student government unless they pledge their loyalty to BDS.

Where are you getting this info ?
Please post a link.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »

... in fact the exact opposite is true, with Jewish students being denied seats on student government unless they pledge their loyalty to BDS.

Please post a link.

That's definitely a thing, folks don't like to talk about it, but anti-Semitism in the U.S. is currently a bigger problem on the left than it is on the right (although it's a problem there too).  The anti-Semitic left just uses Israel as excuse to say how they really feel about Jews under the guise of sticking up for so-called victims of of oppression like good little liberals.

-Schumer
-Wyden
-Cardin
-Gillibrand
-Cantwell
-Blumenthal
-Coons
-Peters
-McCaskill
-Menendez
-Donnelly
-Manchin
-Bennet

A corresponding bill in the House has gained the support of Steny Hoyer, Adam Schiff, Ted Lieu, and Eric Swalwell.

Traitors to what?  The anti-Semitic whackjobs at BDS?  Hamas-coddling fellow travelers like Jeremy Corbyn?  You're gonna have to be a little more specific there.  Last time I checked, members of Congress don't pledge allegiance to the PLO, but maybe times have changed.  There are plenty of legitimate reasons that this bill is an abomination.  How is it that you manage to come across so badly when you're criticizing something this awful?  

Oh and before anyone claims I'm just an AIPAC apologist or whatever it is folks use these days to try to shut down debate whenever a liberal doesn't tow the radical left's line on anything Israel related (or to just discredit Jews who dare to disagree with the anti-Semitic left on...well...anything), I actually called all three of my congressional representatives to express my opposition to the House and Senate versions of this obviously horrible bill (and got two others to do the same) before this thread was even created and while that's admittedly not going to change much, I'm pretty sure it's more than most of the slacktivists b!tching in this thread about "muh evil AIPAC" have done.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »

Putting Americans in jail for saying bad things about a foreign government is treasonous IMO.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »

Please post a link.

That's definitely a thing, folks don't like to talk about it, but anti-Semitism in the U.S. is currently a bigger problem on the left than it is on the right (although it's a problem there too).  The anti-Semitic left just uses Israel as excuse to say how they really feel about Jews under the guise of sticking up for so-called victims of of oppression like good little liberals.

-Schumer
-Wyden
-Cardin
-Gillibrand
-Cantwell
-Blumenthal
-Coons
-Peters
-McCaskill
-Menendez
-Donnelly
-Manchin
-Bennet

Traitors to what?  The anti-Semitic whackjobs at BDS?  Hamas-coddling fellow travelers like Jeremy Corbyn?  You're gonna have to be a little more specific there.  Last time I checked, members of Congress don't pledge allegiance to the PLO, but maybe times have changed.  There are plenty of legitimate reasons that this bill is an abomination.  How is it that you manage to come across so badly when you're criticizing something this awful?  

I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect the the traitor label coming up because the Congresscritters are perceived to be doing this to curry favor with a foreign power, not from the interests or desires of their constituents.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect the the traitor label coming up because the Congresscritters are perceived to be doing this to curry favor with a foreign power, not from the interests or desires of their constituents.
Traitors support enemies. Standing up for an ally and against hate does not make one a traitor.

If you call the bill's supporters "traitors", you are saying that Israel is the enemy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »

It's not about allies; it's about right or wrong. Israel is an illegal colonialist settler state and must be abolished and replaced with a single state solution where Jews and Arabs can live in peace under secular government.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »

Putting Americans in jail for saying bad things about a foreign government is treasonous IMO.

Israel is basically America, which makes this our national pastime.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 03:51:25 PM »

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/720

From the Summary:

"The bill prohibits U.S. persons engaged in interstate or foreign commerce from:

requesting the imposition of any boycott by a foreign country against a country which is friendly to the United States; or
supporting any boycott fostered or imposed by an international organization, or requesting imposition of any such boycott, against Israel."

Jesus that is really vague and overbroad. Should not survive the courts if its passed.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »

Traitors support enemies. Standing up for an ally and against hate does not make one a traitor.

If you call the bill's supporters "traitors", you are saying that Israel is the enemy.
That's Cheney talk.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 04:03:50 PM »

That's Cheney talk.
The definition of a traitor is someone who betrays their country by supporting the enemy. Israel is not the enemy. If you call someone a traitor because you perceive their actions to be "too pro-Israel", you are literally saying that Israel is the enemy.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »

That's Cheney talk.
The definition of a traitor is someone who betrays their country by supporting the enemy. Israel is not the enemy. If you call someone a traitor because you perceive their actions to be "too pro-Israel", you are literally saying that Israel is the enemy.
I never called Israel supporters "traitors." If you support Israeli aggression against Palestinians, then you're calling Palestinians the enemy according to your logic.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »

Ye gods. Regardless of what one thinks of Hamas or Israel this is grossly unconstitutional. This wouldn't pass legal muster if it similarly criminalized expressing support for Isis
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies