Would pardoning himself and others under investigation badly hurt Trump's image?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:18:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would pardoning himself and others under investigation badly hurt Trump's image?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For Trump supporters: if Trump pardoned himself and others in his orbit under investigation, would you turn on him or lose faith in his presidency?
Yes

No

Unsure, but probably

Unsure, but probably not

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Would pardoning himself and others under investigation badly hurt Trump's image?  (Read 927 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »

The idea here is that if he didn't commit any crimes, he does not need a pardon. Ditto for the people around him. If he were to issue pardons, it would indicate something did happen, whether it is or isn't related to the Russia scandal. Otherwise, as annoying as Mueller + the Congressional investigations are, there is ultimately no need for any pardons.

Surely that would have to make a difference when it comes down to reevaluating support for him.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »

The idea here is that if he didn't commit any crimes, he does not need a pardon. Ditto for the people around him. If he were to issue pardons, it would indicate something did happen, whether it is or isn't related to the Russia scandal. Otherwise, as annoying as Mueller + the Congressional investigations are, there is ultimately no need for any pardons.

Surely that would have to make a difference when it comes down to reevaluating support for him.

I voted for Probably Not. I can see his cultists now:
"He's just doing it to make the Democrats stop their witch hunt, so he can Make America Great Again."
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »

"He's just doing it to make the Democrats stop their witch hunt, so he can Make America Great Again."

Runeghost,
I thought the poll specifically was "for trump supporters" only.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 07:44:13 PM »

Basically, it would be a coup.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »

Of course
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »

Runeghost,
I thought the poll specifically was "for trump supporters" only.

Oops. I didn't realize the poll was different from the thread title. I still think my statement stands.  (And it's not like anyone reading my posts is going to mistake my position vis-a-vis the Outrageous Orangeness).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »

Oops. I didn't realize the poll was different from the thread title. I still think my statement stands.  (And it's not like anyone reading my posts is going to mistake my position vis-a-vis the Outrageous Orangeness).

I wonder if EnglishPete was the 2nd No vote Tongue
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »

Trump can literally do no evil according to his followers, and they're the only ones who support him anymore, so no.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »

I wonder if EnglishPete was the 2nd No vote Tongue

I was tempted to vote no, because at this point, we're almost down to the people at the nut house who think Trump is doing a good job and is innocent

Cult 45!
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »

I would probably improve his image with his followers. They don't tolerate him despite his personality - they love that he's a toxic narcissist because so many of them are too.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »

Can a president even pardon himself? If Trump tries to do that it'll destroy his image.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 03:17:50 AM »

Can a president even pardon himself? If Trump tries to do that it'll destroy his image.

Trump can pardon himself from federal prosecution but it does not exempt him from impeachment or state prosecution, and would cause an unprecedented constitutional crisis.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 05:31:06 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2017, 06:05:14 AM by Shadows »

Not among his base, not to the people who watch Fox, Breitbart, Infowars - They will consider it a witchhunt against Trump by the liberal media & the Washington Corrupt establishment.

If the economy goes south, or stagnates, if people lose healthcare & so on - In other words if his supporters see no rise in wages, higher insurance premiums, poor job opportunities etc, stuff which directly affects them, then they will revise their opinion of Trump (with time - Probably After 2018 onwards)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:51:31 AM »

Yes. It would bring Trump down to his core supporters. The ones that supported him in the primaries plus the extremely partisan hacks who will say or do anything to prevent a democrat in the white house. Probably around 25% of the voters in total, 30% tops. Most of the elected republicans outside of dark red house districts will have to turn on him this time around.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 11:15:27 PM »

Not a Trump supporter, but in his own words:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »

Trump can pardon himself from federal prosecution but it does not exempt him from impeachment or state prosecution, and would cause an unprecedented constitutional crisis.

It could embolden Democratic state(s) (notably New York) to try and bring some sort of criminal action against him, and I'm somewhat unsure of exactly how much Republicans in Congress would tolerate from Trump at that point. I don't think anyone can say for sure, as Trump pardoning himself and others around him to avoid criminal liability would be completely uncharted territory. I think it is possible he could get tossed out as Republicans know a more stable/reliable Pence is waiting to take over.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »

It could embolden Democratic state(s) (notably New York) to try and bring some sort of criminal action against him, and I'm somewhat unsure of exactly how much Republicans in Congress would tolerate from Trump at that point. I don't think anyone can say for sure, as Trump pardoning himself and others around him to avoid criminal liability would be completely uncharted territory. I think it is possible he could get tossed out as Republicans know a more stable/reliable Pence is waiting to take over.

Like this?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dc-attorney-general-challenging-trump-on-emoluments-clause-its-a-chaotic-unconstitutional-and-unlawful-situation/article/2629106
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »

I'm not sure, and that's the thing, who knows what crimes Trump has committed over the course of his "career." Say what you want, but Trump does not strike me as the kind of person who cares about rules. I think if he felt he could get away with something, he'd do it. So with enough time, resources and manpower from someone like the New York or New Jersey AG (2018-on), it is possible he finds himself charged at the state level.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »

Rather telling that Saint is the only even remote Trump supporter who dare to Post his opinion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies