Trivia about your state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:25:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Trivia about your state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trivia about your state  (Read 199 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »

MI was the first English-speaking governed area to abolish capital punishment (in 1846).

Jackson, MI was the birthplace of the GOP in 1854

MI was one of 3 states to vote Humphrey - Ford (the other two were ME and WA; all 3 are among the most northerly states).

Of the most populous 75 counties in the US, Macomb Co., MI is the only one without a university (though it does have a University Center and numerous satellite campuses).

Of the most populous 75 counties, Macomb, MI and Oakland, MI are tied for 1st as far as the percentage of commuters who drive alone to work (87.4%)

I thought MI had the only McGovern - Ford county in the nation (Washtenaw), but I believe Pitkin, CO also fits that description, and I find it hard to believe there are none in SD.

40% of households in Livingston Co. have 3 or more cars. 1/3 of Detroit households do not have a running car.

There's a Hell in MI, but no Heaven. Go figure.....
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »

As recently as 18 years ago, Democrats still had majority control of both chambers of the Missouri General Assembly, and there were many Democrats elected from predominantly rural state legislative districts. But now Republicans outnumber Democrats by more than two-to-one in both chambers; there are no rural Democratic state senators, and only one rural Democratic state representative (Ben Harris, who is not eligible to run for re-election next year.) There are only nine Democratic state senators, six of them are from the St. Louis area, the other three from the Kansas City area. Of the 46 Democrats who were elected to the House last November, 26 are from the St. Louis city/county area, 15 are from Kansas City and its suburbs, 2 are from Columbia, 1 from St. Joseph, 1 from Springfield, and the 1 that I mentioned, Ben Harris, from a rural area just outside of St. Louis metro area.

~~~~

Regarding incorporated cities/towns/villages that have a population of at least 100, ....
We love our saints in Missouri. Besides the obvious St. Louis and St. Joseph, we have St. Ann, St. Charles, St. Clair, St. Elizabeth, St. George, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Paul, St. Peters, St. Robert, and St. Thomas.
There are municipalities named California, Louisiana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.
There are municipalities named Amsterdam, Cairo, Milan, Paris, Vienna, and Warsaw.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »

Some Korea-related trivia about New Jersey

Both South Korea and New Jersey have similar population densities (1,329 mi2 versus 1,210 mi2, respectively).

Both North Korea and New Jersey lie on 40 degrees N latitude.

All Top 10 US municipalities by Korean population are in Bergen County, New Jersey.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:24:11 PM »

Some Korea-related trivia about New Jersey

Both South Korea and New Jersey have similar population densities (1,329 mi2 versus 1,210 mi2, respectively).

Both North Korea and New Jersey lie on 40 degrees N latitude.

All Top 10 US municipalities by Korean population are in Bergen County, New Jersey.
Interesting! Other than staying a few nights in a hotel in Iselin, I have never visited NJ.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies