Schumer - Single Payer is on the table, target is to win back Obama/Trump voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:31:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Schumer - Single Payer is on the table, target is to win back Obama/Trump voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Schumer - Single Payer is on the table, target is to win back Obama/Trump voters  (Read 1141 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2017, 12:32:41 PM »
« edited: July 23, 2017, 12:34:42 PM by Shadows »

“We’re going to look at broader things [for the nation’s health care system.] Single-payer is one of them,” Schumer said to ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos on “This Week” Sunday. “Many things are on the table,” Schumer said. “Medicare for people above 55 is on the table. A buy-in to Medicare is on the table. Buy-in to Medicaid is on the table.”

“This is sharp, bold, and will appeal to both the old Obama coalition and the Democratic voters who deserted us for Trump,” the New York senator said. “The number one thing we did wrong is we didn’t tell people what we stood for,” the senator said. “When you lose an election, you look yourself in the mirror and say, 'What did we do wrong?'” The economic plan is “just the beginning,” Schumer said. “Week after week, month after month, we're going to roll out specific pieces here that are quite different than the Democratic Party you heard in the past.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democrats-open-single-payer-health-insurance-party-leader/story?id=48791105
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »

I'll remain cautiously optimistic until they're in a position to enact their new policy agenda and actually follow through with it. We see how easy it was for Republicans to vote for repealing the ACA when they knew President Obama wouldn't sign it.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »

Damn Chuck Schumer wasn't f**king around when he said after the GA-06 special election concluded that the Democratic Party would come out with a bold new populist economic vision for the country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:35:11 PM »

Going populist will cause them to get crushed in the suburbs like they used too meaning GOP will do better .

Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:37:40 PM »

Going populist will cause them to get crushed in the suburbs like they used too meaning GOP will do better.

When was the last time Democrats got crushed in the suburbs during a Presidential election? 1988 I'm guessing?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »

Going populist will cause them to get crushed in the suburbs like they used too meaning GOP will do better.

When was the last time Democrats got crushed in the suburbs during a Presidential election? 1988 I'm guessing?

Which was the last election before the New Democrats took over the party and moderated the party .
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »

Pelosi said that they aren't looking for a course correction, so I wouldn't get my hopes up here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/343344-dems-to-announce-a-better-deal-economic-agenda-on-monday-report

Which was the last election before the New Democrats took over the party and moderated the party .

And that's almost exactly when their 40 year control of the House came to an end.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »

I'll grant you this: Democrats need a crisis to win with a clear mandate in order to get their progressive populist agenda through. Reagan needed stagflation, Roosevelt needed the Great Depression, etc. These events don't happen easily and right now there's very little desire to do anything big. Our Government was purposely and deliberately designed to be slow moving and big things change only when we're forced to confront something head on ala 1980 and 1932.

So this populist agenda is go big or go home message. I don't think we'll get "crushed" in 2020 though even if we lose.

Pelosi said that they aren't looking for a course correction, so I wouldn't get my hopes up here.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/343344-dems-to-announce-a-better-deal-economic-agenda-on-monday-report

We need Tim Ryan.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »

And that's almost exactly when their 40 year control of the House came to an end.

Would you rather go back to a time when republicans had a huge advantage in presidential races so the democrats are dominant in congress .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2017, 10:55:17 PM by Old School Republican »

I'll grant you this: Democrats need a crisis to win with a clear mandate in order to get their progressive populist agenda through. Reagan needed stagflation, Roosevelt needed the Great Depression, etc. These events don't happen easily and right now there's very little desire to do anything big. Our Government was purposely and deliberately designed to be slow moving and big things change only when we're forced to confront something head on ala 1980 and 1932.

So this populist agenda is go big or go home message. I don't think we'll get "crushed" in 2020 though even if we lose.

We need Tim Ryan.

Populist will work in 2020 but in 2024 it will cause a huge defeat .

In my opinion You are right 2024/2028 will be a realignment ,just your wrong on which one it will be .
In my opinion 2 consecutive administrations of far right (2017-2021) and far left failures (2021-2025 /2029) it will result in a centrist realignment.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »

Would you rather go back to a time when republicans had a huge advantage in presidential races so the democrats are dominant in congress .

George HW Bush had a 40% approval rating on election day. You didn't need a Clintonite to defeat him. Mario Cuomo would certainly have done the job.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »

In my opinion You are right 2024/2028 will be a realignment ,just your wrong on which one it will be .
In my opinion 2 consecutive administrations of far right (2017-2021) and far left failures (2021-2025/2029) it will result in a centrist realignment.

Centrism isn't a coherent ideology; it's something that morphs with the times. Eisenhower Republicanism in the 1950's was created by the New Deal just as Third Way Democratic politics was created by the Reagan Revolution.

Our system of governance (along with the human psyche) is far too reactive to events that hit us hard. Any kind of centrism in the 2030's will be crafted by the GOP adopting to the new era.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »

We need social, economic, and environmental justice. Smiley
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 11:01:23 PM »

George HW Bush had a 40% approval rating on election day. You didn't need a Clintonite to defeat him. Mario Cuomo would certainly have done the job.

You didn't answer my question of would u rather go back to a time when the GOP Dominated most presidential elections for democrats dominating congress again .
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 11:02:56 PM »

You didn't answer my question of would u rather go back to a time when the GOP Dominated most presidential elections for democrats dominating congress again .

I reject the idea that only a 3rd wayer can win for the Democrats. Are you really going to claim that George HW Bush and his 40% approval rating would have beaten Mario Cuomo?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:10:37 PM »

In my opinion 2 consecutive administrations of far right (2017-2021) and far left failures (2021-2025/2029) it will result in a centrist realignment.

Centrism isn't a coherent ideology; it's something that morphs with the times. Eisenhower Republicanism in the 1950's was created by the New Deal just as Third Way Democratic politics was created by the Reagan Revolution.

Our system of governance (along with the human psyche) is far too reactive to events that hit us hard. Any kind of centrism in the 2030's will be crafted by the GOP adopting to the new era.

I mean centrism like this

The vast majority of Republicans being like John Kasich /John McCain and the furthest right republicans being like George W Bush and furthest left being Bill Clinton (his policies not his personal views)

Most democrats being like Barack Obama with furthest left being like Jerry Brown (his current Cali tenure)and furthest right like Cory Booker
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »

The vast majority of Republicans being like John Kasich /John McCain and the furthest right republicans being like George W Bush and furthest left being Bill Clinton (his policies not his personal views)

Most democrats being like Barack Obama with furthest left being like Jerry Brown (his current Cali tenure)and furthest right like Cory Booker

How much in common is a George W. Bush style conservative gonna have with a Democrat who agrees with California governor Jerry Brown? That's still a very polarized political environment and doesn't really lend itself to a centrist political atmosphere.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 11:13:40 PM »

I reject the idea that only a 3rd wayer can win for the Democrats. Are you really going to claim that George HW Bush and his 40% approval rating would have beaten Mario Cuomo?

Would hw approval be so low without Perot keep attacking him (who may haven't run without a third way dem ) and his approval rose above 50 percent when he left office . Anyway if he won Dems wouldn't make the long term gains in presidential election they did under clinton .

So will u trade long term advantages for presidential elections for congressional and local elections .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »

How much in common is a George W. Bush style conservative gonna have with a Democrat who agrees with California governor Jerry Brown? That's still a very polarized political environment and nothing of that describes a centrist political atmosphere.

Except in this case they are the furthest right and left in their parties and not the dominant.

The overwhelming dominant will be Obama style Dems vs Kasich/McCain style dems
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »

Would hw approval be so low without Perot keep attacking him (who may haven't run without a third way dem ) and his approval rose above 50 percent when he left office . Anyway if he won Dems wouldn't make the long term gains in presidential election they did under clinton .

So will u trade long term advantages for presidential elections for congressional and local elections .

Now you want  Perot to not run? Perot drew a lot of his votes from the Democrats, and perhaps wouldn't have gotten as many Democratic votes against a Democrat running a more populist campaign talking about the city that isn't the "shining city on the hill".
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 11:23:36 PM »

I don't think so. The underlying causes and aftereffects of the 2008 financial crisis haven't been adequately addressed beyond financial reform and it's gonna take us to get hit hard again to restructure our macroeconomy in a way that fixes it for good. And that President who solves it will be as beloved as Reagan and Roosevelt were and their legacy and policies will force the opposition Party to moderate.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 11:24:33 PM »

We need Tim Ryan.

Populist will work in 2020 but in 2024 it will cause a huge defeat .

In my opinion 2 consecutive administrations of far right (2017-2021) and far left failures (2021-2025 /2029) it will result in a centrist realignment.

Centrism is by definition the current orthodoxy. A realignment to centrism is like saying I circumnavigated the globe by sitting in place
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 11:28:44 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2017, 11:41:23 PM by Old School Republican »

I don't think so. The underlying causes and aftereffects of the 2008 financial crisis haven't been adequately addressed beyond financial reform and it's gonna take us to get hit hard again to restructure our macroeconomy in a way that fixes it for good. And that President who solves it will be as beloved as Reagan and Roosevelt were and their legacy and policies will force the opposition Party to moderate.

I think these are the only things that need to be fixed : reinstate glass stegall and have Feds rate rates a few times . Other then that the current system will be fine.

Anyway people who live in the suburbs are usually benefit least from populism and there is no way Dems can win without the suburbs.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 11:43:06 PM »

Good to see Democratic leadership readjusting. Screw 'centrism;' it's gotten neither party far. All you need is a centrist image.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 11:48:30 PM »

Democrats do need a messaging correction, but embracing single payer would only hurt them. Plus, it's a socialist, unamerican system.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies