Politico: Republicans brewing Russian scandal to target greens
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:06:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico: Republicans brewing Russian scandal to target greens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico: Republicans brewing Russian scandal to target greens  (Read 953 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2017, 12:34:25 PM »

Allegations the Kremlin is bankrolling U.S. anti-fracking activists are ludicrous, groups say. But lawmakers want Treasury to investigate.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/23/fracking-russia-republicans-240834

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »

I will not say anything as to the accuracy of the charges, but I will say this. Nothing has historically hampered, hindered and destroyed Russia's Geopolitical position more then collapses in the price of oil.

Consider that, and then take into consideration Russia's meddling in foreign elections to produce perceived favorable results for Russia, it is not too big a stretch that Russia would try and also meddle to produce policies that would keep the price of oil high as well as Russia's oil market share high as well.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »

Certainly plausible.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Russia has been doing this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »

Amazed at the hatred for the green movement in the US
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:58:40 PM »

You're amazed by that?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »

I'm not sure people are saying environmentalists and other anti-fracking groups would knowingly take the money, just that Russia could indeed be funneling money to the groups secretly. Personally, I'm supportive of many of these anti-fracking efforts but at the same time I wouldn't put it beneath Russia to covertly direct funding to some groups if they thought it might help their cause.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »

I'm not sure people are saying environmentalists and other anti-fracking groups would knowingly take the money, just that Russia could indeed be funneling money to the groups secretly. Personally, I'm supportive of many of these anti-fracking efforts but at the same time I wouldn't put it beneath Russia to covertly direct funding to some groups if they thought it might help their cause.

While that's obviously something we should attempt to discover, I worry how it'd inevitably be politicized by Republicans. That's yet another excuse for them to oppose environmental issues and attempt to deflect attention away from the Trump team's alleged Russian collusion.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »

If one thing has been drawn attention to lately, its Russia's ability to funnel money into various places without people realizing.

The same way they have a knack for compromising people without them realizing it until it is too late.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »

The same way they have a knack for compromising people without them realizing it until it is too late.

You're not talking about Trump & Co, are you?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 10:54:06 PM »

Ridiculous conspiracy theories by the Democrats to deflect from their terrible candidate's bad campaign.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 10:59:47 PM »

There's a difference between the little g green movement and big G Green "movement."

Anyway, Stein is useless. I think she burned any goodwill she may have ever had with the whole recount debacle where she just pocketed everyone's money and ran.

(and lol@ jfern for [maybe?] reading an article that lists Republicans bringing back up conservative allegations and just defaulting to screaming about Democrats because... bad reading comprehension?)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »

Ridiculous conspiracy theories by the Democrats to deflect from their terrible candidate's bad campaign.

What are you talking about? The article clearly says it is coming from "conservative circles" and being pushed by Republican House members. It says that in the first paragraph.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 11:04:58 PM »

What are you talking about? The article clearly says it is coming from "conservative circles" and being pushed by Republican House members. It says that in the first paragraph.

Well, it's awfully similar to when Hillary claimed that anti fracking activists were Putin operatives. Obviously both parties don't really care for the environment.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »

Well, it's awfully similar to when Hillary claimed that anti fracking activists were Putin operatives. Obviously both parties don't really care for the environment.

k
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:14:50 PM »

As much as I liked Jill Stein, the Green party is a joke. Every third party in the U.S. is a joke. The only viable option for reform is to infiltrate one of the two existing parties. Your name will not live on, but your policies might.

Oh, and it's hilarious to see Democratic partisan hacks abusing this. So much for a "united resistance against Trump", lmao. Implying that the Greens secretly wanted a climate-science-denying conservative billionaire to get into power because...uh...wait this doesn't make any logistical sense whatsoever.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 01:37:07 AM »

Oh, I don't mind environmentalists as a whole, and I appreciate their efforts.

That said, the Green Party is a joke, and besides Nader, most of their presidential candidates have been loons and fools.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 02:07:49 AM »

As much as I liked Jill Stein, the Green party is a joke. Every third party in the U.S. is a joke. The only viable option for reform is to infiltrate one of the two existing parties. Your name will not live on, but your policies might.

Indeed, the New Deal, Civil Rights, and same-sex marriage all happened without third parties. Generally, American third-parties = unelectable loons.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 05:11:02 AM »

Indeed, the New Deal, Civil Rights, and same-sex marriage all happened without third parties. Generally, American third-parties = unelectable loons.

Yeah. It's not like we directly elect our Senators instead of having state legislatures appoint them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 05:26:20 AM »

Oh, and it's hilarious to see Democratic partisan hacks abusing this. So much for a "united resistance against Trump", lmao. Implying that the Greens secretly wanted a climate-science-denying conservative billionaire to get into power because...uh...wait this doesn't make any logistical sense whatsoever.

Notice this is greens with a lowercase g.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 06:16:53 AM »

Yeah. It's not like we directly elect our Senators instead of having state legislatures appoint them.

Well I'm talking about right now; during the 19th century, and even the first part of the 20th century, this wasn't true. That said, keep in mind that WJB ended up integrating the Populist Party's platform into the Democratic Party, and Teddy Roosevelt made progressivism mainstream in the Republican party (until 1912).
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »

Makes sense from a geopolitical standpoint, but the Russians are smart enough to know that the US is a two party country. Maybe this was a "well wth not?" by the FSB.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 08:07:42 AM »

Makes sense from a geopolitical standpoint, but the Russians are smart enough to know that the US is a two party country. Maybe this was a "well wth not?" by the FSB.

The allegation is not that they're funding the irrelevant Green Party, but environmental groups. The only purpose in funding the Green Party would be to undermine Democrats and help Republicans.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Russia has been doing this.

Edit: I've heard of Qatar and UAE involved in these kinds of shenanigans, never Russia though. What I'm agreeing is that I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, not that I'm convinced it is
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »

k

Jfern is turning into Putin's sock. Whoddathunk? Sad!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies