Trump spoke to 40,000 Boy Scouts about...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:15:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump spoke to 40,000 Boy Scouts about...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Trump spoke to 40,000 Boy Scouts about...  (Read 3807 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »

Please stop comparing Boy Scouts to Nazis. That's pretty disgusting.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 11:15:16 PM »

I was in scouts for 2 years with a bunch of white suburbanite families (and given that this is Orange County-the vast majority were quite religious and conservative).

I have no recollection of any sort of religious or political undertones. Did the scouts change the last 10 years or something? Why was I not indoctrinated in worshipping Mein Fuhrer President Bush?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 11:18:08 PM »

I was in scouts for 2 years with a bunch of white suburbanite families (and given that this is Orange County-the vast majority were quite religious and conservative).

I have no recollection of any sort of religious or political undertones. Did the scouts change the last 10 years or something? Why was I not indoctrinated in worshipping Mein Fuhrer President Bush?

Of course the Scouts haven't changed. This is way overblown. Trump grandstanded in a very pro-Trump state and some really enthusiastic Trumpers in the crowd gave a big applause.

Bernie could have gotten the same reaction from a Scout convention held in Vermont.
Higgins
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »

I was in the Boy Scouts during the late 1990s (1997-1999) in a rural, conservative part of NJ. I learned about knot-tying, and all the typical Boy Scout stuff. Pine Box Derbies and things like that. I don't ever remember hearing politics come up from the parents of the group, and this was during the height of the Monica affair.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »

The youth are our future and I'm quite happy that Trump took it upon himself to educate them on the pressing issues of our day.

... He bragged about his election win, threatened to fire Tom Price over healthcare, bragged about him making the effort to actually show up and berated Obama at the same time, talked about cocktail parties. You cannot possibly think this speech was in any way appropriate.

Well it's either through him or the Internet. We need to set an example for the young people of this country and Trump has proven to be a stellar role model.

Are you serious? Please tell me this is an attempt at some type of humor.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 11:27:50 PM »

I was in the Boy Scouts during the late 1990s (1997-1999) in a rural, conservative part of NJ. I learned about knot-tying, and all the typical Boy Scout stuff. Pine Box Derbies and things like that. I don't ever remember hearing politics come up from the parents of the group, and this was during the height of the Monica affair.

Perhaps that might have had something to do with the fact that any parents who wanted their female or atheist/agnostic children to learn similar skills were absent.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »

Are you serious? Please tell me this is an attempt at some type of humor.

He's just trolling Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:46 PM »

* His election win
* "Fake news"
* Yachts
* Cocktail Parties
* President Obama

To Boy Scouts

Not to mention he had them boo both Clinton and Obama.

Reminds me of Hitler youth.

But the Boy Scouts have traditionally been non-partisan. Most Boy Scouts are not going to participate in the next Presidential election because they are under 14.

John F. Kennedy, the closest analogue as an electoral winner, worked to bring Republicans to his side on issues instead of transforming them into pariahs. To get his pet agenda, including Civil Rights, he would need the support of Republicans.  Kennedy started working on that. He did not put fault on Eisenhower (who was very dissimilar) as a 'failure'. He did not vilify Nixon.

But to paraphrase the late Lloyd Bentsen, Donald Trump is "no Jack Kennedy".

"Fake news"? It's up to the youth of America to develop the rational thought necessary for discerning objective reality from propaganda. People need to determine what to trust and what not to trust. That will require paying attention to civics... and taking demanding courses in high school. Of course that will help make today's youth anything but the 'low-information voters' that Donald Trump said that he appreciated.

"Yachts"? Material display and indulgence do not make a nation great. Those are drains on the capital for potential investment; besides, a craving for these indicates a soulless person. We need to make America good for people who will never set foot on a yacht. If you want to know what made America great -- it was the sort of person who threw himself onto a live grenade to save his buddies -- who may have lived to become such 'scum' as a preacher in the ghetto, the founder of a small business, a successful farmer who took over from his father, a high-school math teacher, a state trooper, a real-estate broker who made a subdivision possible, a banker who connected people with their dreams... and the usual mass of construction and assembly-line workers.

I am sure that yachts are fun. But I prefer people who do not need them. If you ever saw The Wolf of Wall Street (which I saw only last night on cable TV)... I am glad that for all the hardships that I have known, the least of them was that I have never experienced whores, cocaine, quaaludes, or stripper parties.  

That is one of the most common descriptions of people who got Medals of Honor for "service beyond the call of duty" in World War II. Many of those heroes who died so that their buddies would live were Boy Scouts in the 1930s. To be sure, I can't imagine FDR having told Boy Scouts to be bloodthirsty militarists intent on martyrdom... he did not need to.

Cocktail parties? Cocktail parties? Boy Scouts are typically much underage for participating in cocktail parties.

President Obama? Like him or not, he had his virtues.

But let's see how Donald Trump fits the Scout Law in the United States, one still in existence for 106 years:

A Scout is ....(pregnant pause).... trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.  

How well that describes Donald Trump is for people other than me to contemplate.        

GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 11:43:20 PM »

Trump invited three cabinet members who are eagle scouts to the event, but Tillerson and Sessions, who are also eagle scouts, were not invited.

Looks like time is running out for Jeff and Rexy.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 12:37:40 AM »

Given your avatar, I believe the correct term for the behavior of maligning whole groups of people with vile epithets is, presidential.

(I will considering taking Republican comments on standards of behavior seriously after they denounce and impeach Trump and not one moment sooner. Until then, roflmao!)

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 01:15:57 AM »

Given your avatar, I believe the correct term for the behavior of maligning whole groups of people with vile epithets is, presidential.

(I will considering taking Republican comments on standards of behavior seriously after they denounce and impeach Trump and not one moment sooner. Until then, roflmao!)

1. The users of this forum have no control over whether Trump is impeached.
2. While Trump should not be talking to scouts about #fakenews, "I won!!!", and "Obama is bad!!!!". comparing it with Hitler, who literally persuaded people to want to kill "improper" individuals, is supremely overblown.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 01:51:14 AM »

1. The users of this forum have no control over whether Trump is impeached.
2. While Trump should not be talking to scouts about #fakenews, "I won!!!", and "Obama is bad!!!!". comparing it with Hitler, who literally persuaded people to want to kill "improper" individuals, is supremely overblown.

Users of this forum do have control over their avatars. If someone wishes to change their blue avatar to something else and still support some Republican positions, I can understand that. Not agree, but understand. But to my mind someone openly proclaiming their membership in the Republican Party bears the same relationship to Trump that a Nazi Party member wearing the swastika did to Hitler. The Republicans chose Trump to lead them - they do not get to pretend he's not a terrible human being and worse president whenever it is convenient for them, or whenever his banal horrors make them uncomfortable.

As for the comparison to Hitler, I find your choice of words interesting. While Trump is certainly not a 1:1 American mirror of Hitler, he is marching down the "bearing a cross and wrapped in a flag" path that was predicted for American fascism. And when it comes to "literally persuaded people to want to kill "improper" individuals", I give you the words of President Trump, for which he has never to the best of my knowledge repented nor apologized:

I can understand why his supporters don't want to admit he said this, but say it he did. Hiding from how monstrous and evil Trump is or wants to be is not something I will give anyone who identifies with the Republican Party a free pass on.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 01:56:01 AM »

^ Trump was likely talking about ISIS or Al-Qaeda there. Not saying I agree with his remarks, but it's not comparable to Hitler, who targeted the old, the very young, the sick, the disabled, and the jews, none of which were terrorists.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 01:59:11 AM »

Also, I know it's fun to compare Trump to Hitler or other ultra-extremists, but that sort of comparison only helped him during the campaign ("Hitler! Really? Wow these Hillary people are radically overreactive!"), and it was a bad move for all who did it (including myself).
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 02:07:57 AM »

^ Trump was likely talking about ISIS or Al-Qaeda there. Not saying I agree with his remarks, but it's not comparable to Hitler, who targeted the old, the very young, the sick, the disabled, and the jews, none of which were terrorists.

He says, repeatedly that he wants to kill their families. Unless you somehow think women and children deserve to be killed for who who they were married to, or who their parents were, or that parents should be killed for the actions of their children, he is indeed advocating targeting the old and the very young. He talks about Muslims much like Hitler spoke of Jews. He also mocks the disabled, and is doing his damnedest to talk proper medical care away from the sick.

While, again, I do not think he is marching in lockstep with Hitler, remember too that it took Hitler and the Nazis years to go from racism to ethnic cleansing to mass extermination. We've only had six months of Trump. (And will hopefully have given him the boot soon enough.)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 02:17:35 AM »

He says, repeatedly that he wants to kill their families. Unless you somehow think women and children deserve to be killed for who who they were married to, or who their parents were, or that parents should be killed for the actions of their children, he is indeed advocating targeting the old and the very young. He talks about Muslims much like Hitler spoke of Jews. He also mocks the disabled, and is doing his damnedest to talk proper medical care away from the sick.

While, again, I do not think he is marching in lockstep with Hitler, remember too that it took Hitler and the Nazis years to go from racism to ethnic cleansing to mass extermination. We've only had six months of Trump. (And will hopefully have given him the boot soon enough.)

In any case, rather than making any argument regarding why "Obama(care) is bad!!!", "I won!!!", and #fakenews translates to killing millions of people, you have dug up a carefully cherry picked quote from a completely different event to rationalize your view. The fact that you had to resort to that to defend yourself is evidence by itself that your Trump=Hitler line is faulty.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 02:26:18 AM »

Trump really isn't any worse at killing people than Obama or Bush.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 02:47:09 AM »

It's telling that the French Resistance made sure to never attack wives and children of German officials. Attacking such innocent people would have caused longer psychic pain to a Nazi official than would sudden death by a shooting or a bomb.

Note well, also, that the world's most effective intelligence service. Shin Beth, has an enforcer arm known as the Mossad -- and it has been in existence since 1948.  The Mossad has arrested and killed Nazi war criminals and people involved in murderous attacks on Israel and Jews -- including the Black September group that murdered the Israeli Olympic team in Munich in 1972. Black September went extinct quickly in disparate hiding places. But the Israelis went after the terrorists and not their wives and children.

I have no problem with the gangland hit upon Osama bin Laden. But the President of the time had no desire to rub out the Bin Laden family. Yes, an arrest, as the Israelis did of Karl Adolf Eichmann, was impossible. But I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Zionist strike force killed Josef Mengele, the sadistic medical researcher and war criminal.

...For good reason, educated people in America used to know certain literature. Romeo and Juliet has its tragic moral: that not even innocent love can stop a feud that has lasted centuries and whose original purpose is no longer known. Donald Trump can induce widespread hatred against America that could last for centuries.   

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »

Jeez guys. First, Hitler youth did not do anything wrong, because they were kids. So comparing these kids to them really shouldn't be seen as objectionable. And it's inaccurate to say that it's comparing them to Nazis because those kids didn't have a political party. (Even if their parents said they were "Nazis" they didn't choose that.) Second, I took the comparison as being between Trump's actions and Hitler's actions. So complain about that if you want. But don't over exaggerate what he said. Kids are impressionable and it's not a slight against them to point that out. It's just life.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 10:20:07 AM »

Obama was booed at the Jamboree he addressed in 2010 so he was speaking to a friendly crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAWsy7VV8oE

FYI, Obama wasn't being booed in person: He apparently decided to go on The View instead of attending the Jamboree in person, and that's what was being booed. It still doesn't make it great, but it makes a lot more sense to me.

In regards to Trump, that was just an awful speech, hands-down. Politics aside, I would have been bored to tears. Like, why is this guy rambling on pointlessly? It was also inappropriate for the setting, but even if that wasn't the case, it was just awful. Ugh.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »

I'm quite surprised that trump did not also talk to these young boys about the appropriateness and art of "grabbing women by the pussy."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »

Pretty funny speech.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »

Trump really isn't any worse at killing people than Obama or Bush.

Report: U.S. Air Strikes Killing Far More Civilians Under Trump

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/u-s-air-strikes-are-killing-far-more-civilians-under-trump.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2017, 11:20:28 AM »

I wonder how many will be 18 in 2020
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies