CNN: Videos Suggest Russia Arming Taliban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:29:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CNN: Videos Suggest Russia Arming Taliban
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CNN: Videos Suggest Russia Arming Taliban  (Read 1680 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:47:18 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/asia/taliban-weapons-afghanistan/index.html

Jesus...
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:52:43 PM »

But we should be best friends with Russia, duh!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »

Okay, I really don't buy this
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:44 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:04:10 AM »

From the viewpoint that we need to be in Afghanistan, this is awful.

A neutral outsider might observe that the Russians let us screw up in Afghanistan much longer and much worse before they started giving the locals weapons...
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »

This is what I thought at first, but why not? The US armed the Taliban's predecessor to hurt the Russians, so it doesn't seem too far fetched that they would return the favor.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 06:58:20 AM »

Oh irony, thou art a fickle beast indeed.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 07:01:29 AM »

Wow. The Russian government is idiotic
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 07:13:04 AM »

Wow. The Russian government is idiotic

Yeah. That's why I don't buy this.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:52:46 AM »

If they are doing this, they are playing the payback card for what we did in Afghan in the 80s.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »

If they are doing this, they are playing the payback card for what we did in Afghan in the 80s.

And think the payback will be the highest and the risks the lowest? ...because the President will maybe bomb an airfield but eventually let you have whatever your want?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »

The Pashtuns are unconquerable people. We can only pray for the Tajiks and other minorities who are destined to live under their tyranny.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »

The Pashtuns are unconquerable people. We can only pray for the Tajiks and other minorities who are destined to live under their tyranny.

While I never know if you're serious or not, there's some truth to that. You can never win a war until the enemy considers themselves defeated. The Pashtun people seem unwilling to give up. And considering the half-hearted effort we've made, the terrain, and the long history of the Graveyard of Empires, they have good reasons to be optimistic.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »

Who are the Pashtuns, anyway?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2017, 09:14:35 AM by Santander »

While I never know if you're serious or not, there's some truth to that. You can never win a war until the enemy considers themselves defeated. The Pashtun people seem unwilling to give up. And considering the half-hearted effort we've made, the terrain, and the long history of the Graveyard of Empires, they have good reasons to be optimistic.
Look at Pakistan. The Punjabi majority lives in fear of the Pashtun minority. (perhaps this is a slight exaggeration, but in practice, it's not that far from the truth imo) There are about as many Sindhis as Pashtuns in Pakistan, but they are nowhere near as politically relevant as Pashtuns. FATA is the most terrifying place in the world for an outsider other than perhaps Somalia outside Mogadishu.

The Pashtuns are a tribal ethnic group native to Afghanistan and northwest Pakistan. They are the dominant ethnic group in Afghanistan and one of the two main minorities in Pakistan. Generally speaking, they have fiercely nationalistic and militaristic traditions. I suppose you could compare them to the Japanese in that regard.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »

Look at Pakistan. The Punjabi majority lives in fear of the Pashtun minority. (perhaps this is a slight exaggeration, but in practice, it's not that far from the truth imo) There are about as many Sindhis as Pashtuns in Pakistan, but they are nowhere near as politically relevant as Pashtuns. FATA is the most terrifying place in the world for an outsider other than perhaps Somalia outside Mogadishu.

The Pashtuns are a tribal ethnic group native to Afghanistan and northwest Pakistan. They are the dominant ethnic group in Afghanistan and one of the two main minorities in Pakistan. Generally speaking, they have fiercely nationalistic and militaristic traditions. I suppose you could compare them to the Japanese in that regard.

Were they always there? Ate they somethung like the Kurds?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »

They've "always" been there to the extent that any ethnic group can be. Afghanistan is a Pashtun nation-state, although there is a Tajik minority that is quite influential due to their concentration in the cities, playing a role similar to Chinese Malays in Malaysia.

I wouldn't say they're really like the Kurds. Pashtuns have resisted and repelled conquerors for centuries, while the Kurds have lived under the rule of others.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »

CNN on the air said there is no proof whatsoever of actual Russian government involvement. So, once again, fake news. I'm sure in 2028 we'll find out it was the CIA all along for some reason.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »

They've "always" been there to the extent that any ethnic group can be. Afghanistan is a Pashtun nation-state, although there is a Tajik minority that is quite influential due to their concentration in the cities, playing a role similar to Chinese Malays in Malaysia.

I wouldn't say they're really like the Kurds. Pashtuns have resisted and repelled conquerors for centuries, while the Kurds have lived under the rule of others.

And they are like a Persian people? J2? R1b?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 07:08:03 PM »

CNN on the air said there is no proof whatsoever of actual Russian government involvement. So, once again, fake news. I'm sure in 2028 we'll find out it was the CIA all along for some reason.

Roll Eyes God emperor cultist in this one is strong
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »

And they are like a Persian people? J2? R1b?
They are related to Iranians, but I don't know or care about the genetic stuff... I'll leave that to the alt-right and whoever else cares. Based on their history, I would guess the answer is "it's complicated", though.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 11:20:35 PM »

We should've set off tactical nukes at the source of every watershed in those mountains when we had the chance.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 12:39:49 AM »

We should've set off tactical nukes at the source of every watershed in those mountains when we had the chance.

What, and start a nuclear war?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »

What, and start a nuclear war?
Not a nuclear war if your enemies can't fire back.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies