Concert of Europe: Rules and General Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:25:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Concert of Europe: Rules and General Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26
Poll
Question: Which system would you prefer for calculating battles?
Dice

Random Number Generator

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Concert of Europe: Rules and General Discussion Thread  (Read 29304 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »

I'm a bit stressed about the results of this turn lol.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2017, 06:10:34 PM »

I'm a bit stressed about the results of this turn lol.

We all are, lol
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2017, 06:15:02 PM »

The turn has officially ended since 15 minutes right?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2017, 12:18:53 AM »

If there is one player that is impressing me, that is definitely Lumine.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2017, 01:53:22 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 02:02:26 AM by Spamage »

All the news events are up, and I'll begin working on the next turn's information tomorrow. I would like to have it up by Sunday.

The was has been very fun to watch and calculate so far! Great playing by all Smiley

ALSO, nice playing by X, but his subjects were not going to back switching sides so soon, especially after the others had aided the rebels against him. We've been talking and he'd like to remain in the game, though not as Poland-Lithuania. Next turn he will take on the role of Benedict XIV and attempt to steer the Vatican though what has been an interesting conflict so far.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2017, 02:21:37 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you serious???

I mean, I like him at personal level but he's going to play a character who will have such a massive impact on many players. What if he decides to excommunicate me for no reason? He always ends up betraying me in all the games we play for no ing reason. It's a very bad idea to have the Pope being playable as it could have so many consequences.

So I suppose the agreements I passed with the Pope in the beginning of the game to reform my realm will no longer in effect too?

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2017, 04:32:33 AM »

Knowing full well the situation was s**ty, I'm still surprised with Augustus getting chooped, as there was really no precedent for regicide. In fact, we long used to say "well, there are no Cromwells and Ravaillac amongs us".

But I guess first time's first.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2017, 04:43:44 AM »

I just mentioned to my mom that Augustus III got his head chopped off and at first she thought somebody in Augustów suffered this fate and got concerned if something was going on.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »

Are you serious???

I mean, I like him at personal level but he's going to play a character who will have such a massive impact on many players. What if he decides to excommunicate me for no reason? He always ends up betraying me in all the games we play for no ing reason. It's a very bad idea to have the Pope being playable as it could have so many consequences.

So I suppose the agreements I passed with the Pope in the beginning of the game to reform my realm will no longer in effect too?

I'd obviously step in if he did something as extreme and put of character as excommunicate you. I think it'll be interesting to add a player with very little military power, but in control of  perhaps the most organized social institution  in history.

Unless he voids them, the agreements between the Crown and the Church remain valid.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »

Are you serious???

I'd obviously step in if he did something as extreme and put of character as excommunicate you. I think it'll be interesting to add a player with very little military power, but in control of  perhaps the most organized social institution  in history.

Unless he voids them, the agreements between the Crown and the Church remain valid.
I have no objections anymore Smiley.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2017, 10:15:37 AM »

Are you serious???

Well I'm glad you meant what you said about not taking these games personally Roll Eyes

And I've "betrayed" you once for a perfectly understandable reason.  The game of thrones game wasn't a betrayal b/c we were never on the same side as far as I was concerned.  House Tyrell was a pawn that had developed a mind of its own and gone completely off the reservation from my in-game POV.  I never hid the fact that I completely disagreed with your plan (which ran directly counter to my own goals) and even directly told you as much IRC.  It's only natural that I opposed an early peace which would end the War of the Five Kings early and killing you was the best way to make your coalition fall apart before it solidified since I couldn't talk you out of it.  Btw, I was playing as Littlefinger so complaining about me doing that is basically like complaining about me playing IC.  And even then, I tried to exhaust all other options first.  

In this game, I "betrayed" you for completely legitimate reasons which I've already explained to you privately.  It was a gamble based on the info available to me at the time and a logical one from Poland's POV.  You didn't tell me anything about getting the Pope's help nor could I have ever foreseen that Dkrolga would essentially declare war on Catholics.  For most of my time in this game, I was a pretty good ally despite serious reservations.  I gave useful advice (which you even ended up agreeing with more than a few times), did everything I could to protect you from the mistakes other players wanted you to make (ex: going to war on the first turn), gave feedback about how you could improve your overall strength as a player, and even gathered quite a bit of useful intell.

And btw, it's a bit insulting that you're essentially trying to dictate who I'm allowed to play as before I've even done anything.  I mean, it's just game.  I could make complaints about your in-game style too, but that wouldn't really be productive right now.  Believe it or not, I don't go into these games thinking "gosh, how can I screw over Windjammer?"  You can ask Lumine, Dereich, Spamage, or really anyone who I've played these games with often, I play to have fun and that's about it.  Dereich might even argue that I focus on having fun to a fault tbh (ex: The UN game), but I'll let him speak for himself.  Do I betray folks sometimes?  Sure, but it's never personal or based on some sort of vendetta.  I always have a plan...not always a good one, but I'm always a man with a plan in these games Tongue  Sometimes you get outplayed or betrayed and that's just how it goes.  If you take things so personally, you won't enjoy the games as much.  

P.S: I wasn't planning to excommunicate you, the thought literally never crossed my mind.  Maybe it might make sense to see what I do before getting so riled up.  I might surprise you and who knows, you might end up liking what I had planned Tongue  And negative thinking yields negative results.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »

Are you serious???

Well I'm glad you meant what you said about not taking these games personally Roll Eyes

And I've "betrayed" you once for a perfectly understandable reason.  The game of thrones game wasn't a betrayal b/c we were never on the same side as far as I was concerned.  House Tyrell was a pawn that had developed a mind of its own and gone completely off the reservation from my in-game POV.  I never hid the fact that I completely disagreed with your plan (which ran directly counter to my own goals) and even directly told you as much IRC.  It's only natural that I opposed an early peace which would end the War of the Five Kings early and killing you was the best way to make your coalition fall apart before it solidified since I couldn't talk you out of it.  Btw, I was playing as Littlefinger so complaining about me doing that is basically like complaining about me playing IC.  And even then, I tried to exhaust all other options first.  

In this game, I "betrayed" you for completely legitimate reasons which I've already explained to you privately.  It was a gamble based on the info available to me at the time and a logical one from Poland's POV.  You didn't tell me anything about getting the Pope's help nor could I have ever foreseen that Dkrolga would essentially declare war on Catholics.  For most of my time in this game, I was a pretty good ally despite serious reservations.  I gave useful advice (which you even ended up agreeing with more than a few times), did everything I could to protect you from the mistakes other players wanted you to make (ex: going to war on the first turn), gave feedback about how you could improve your overall strength as a player, and even gathered quite a bit of useful intell.

And btw, it's a bit insulting that you're essentially trying to dictate who I'm allowed to play as before I've even done anything.  I mean, it's just game.  I could make complaints about your in-game style too, but that wouldn't really be productive right now.  Believe it or not, I don't go into these games thinking "gosh, how can I screw over Windjammer?"  You can ask Lumine, Dereich, Spamage, or really anyone who I've played these games with often, I play to have fun and that's about it.  Dereich might even argue that I focus on having fun to a fault tbh (ex: The UN game), but I'll let him speak for himself.  Do I betray folks sometimes?  Sure, but it's never personal or based on some sort of vendetta.  I always have a plan...not always a good one, but I'm always a man with a plan in these games Tongue  Sometimes you get outplayed or betrayed and that's just how it goes.  If you take things so personally, you won't enjoy the games as much.  

P.S: I wasn't planning to excommunicate you, the thought literally never crossed my mind.  Maybe it might make sense to see what I do before getting so riled up.  I might surprise you and who knows, you might end up liking what I had planned Tongue  And negative thinking yields negative results.

Let me be clear about something, I don't think you have a "personal vendetta" against me, but what I believe however that you are literally Cersei Lannister, a tornado that ends up screwing up everyone, including yourself with your 20 dimension chess playing.

I wouldn't have made an objection if you were playing any other countries, including Russia, because this is a game and being betrayed is a part of this game.

Howevern tearing the church apart for literally 70% of Europe is too far for me and not a risk I would like to take. How is it difficult to understand? I oppose a so strong character can be playable as it could have many many wide consequences. But since Spamage's last statement, I don't oppose you playing this strong character anymore.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 12:03:03 PM by Make Poland Great Again »

Are you serious???

Let me be clear about something, I don't think you have a "personal vendetta" against me, but what I believe however that you are literally Cersei Lannister, a tornado that ends up screwing up everyone, including yourself with your 20 dimension chess playing.

I wouldn't have made an objection if you were playing any other countries, including Russia, because this is a game and being betrayed is a part of this game.

Howevern tearing the church apart for literally 70% of Europe is too far for me and not a risk I would like to take. How is it difficult to understand? I oppose a so strong character can be playable as it could have many many wide consequences. But since Spamage's last statement, I don't oppose you playing this strong character anymore.

- I mean, you can believe whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true.  That comparison is both completely inaccurate and more than a little insulting.  I don't have time to get into all the problems with it and I know we have very different views on the character, but how am I not supposed to take that as an insult on multiple levels?  

- Here's the thing though, you don't get to dictate who I play as, period.  If you don't want me playing as a really strong character for whatever reason, with all due respect, that's too bad.  I'm sorry if you're worried I might inconvenience you, but I'm allowed to enjoy the game too.

- Believe me, I understand what you're saying; you're coming through loud and clear.  We're not having a misunderstanding, it's what you're saying that I have a problem with.  You had literally no basis whatsoever for assuming I was going to do something like that and yet you basically went on a small public tirade about how I can't be trusted with the responsibility of playing as such an important country because I'd betray you in a completely OOC way for "no ing reason."  Then when I responded, you said that I was "literally Cersei Lannister, a tornado that ends up screwing up everyone, including yourself;" again how am I supposed to take that as anything other than an insult?  And Spamage's statement shouldn't have even been necessary; I mean, give me a little bit of credit here.

The irony is that I'm pretty sure you're literally the only person who ever even considered the possibility of excommunicating the King of France.  It certainly never crossed my mind.  This is the sort of thing I meant when I said that you can get a bit paranoid in these games in a way that can alienate folks.  Fortunately, I don't take these games too personally, but if I were the type of person who did then you'd have made an enemy out of ally for no reason.

Anyway, this is probably the last post I'll be making on this subject because I don't want to derail Spamage's thread any more than we already have.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »

You pertinently know that I absolutely love this character and that this isn't meant as an insult. I seem to recall not a long time us talking via PM and I told you "I think you are literally Cersei Lannister." And you answered me by saying "Oh yes I totally agree Tongue". So I truly wonder why now you seem to throw an outrage about this suggestion, feeling insulted considering you *literally* agreed with this comparison last week, if not to try to portray me as the mean big villain and you as my victim?

And regarding as playing the Pope, well we both seem to agree on this. I wanted guarantees on this, and I have them, so have fun playing him Smiley.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »

You pertinently know that I absolutely love this character and that this isn't meant as an insult. I seem to recall not a long time us talking via PM and I told you "I think you are literally Cersei Lannister." And you answered me by saying "Oh yes I totally agree Tongue". So I truly wonder why now you seem to throw an outrage about this suggestion, feeling insulted considering you *literally* agreed with this comparison last week, if not to try to portray me as the mean big villain and you as my victim?

And regarding as playing the Pope, well we both seem to agree on this. I wanted guarantees on this, and I have them, so have fun playing him Smiley.

It sounds like we had a bit of a misunderstanding last week, I was agreeing with you that my biggest weakness as a player in these games is that I often have so many plans going on at once that there is always a major risk of one blowing up in my face.  I completely disagreed with the Cersei comparison (and remember being mildly annoyed by it even then), but I didn't press the point because it was clear from the context of the conversation that you didn't mean it as an insult.  We all have to choose our battles Tongue  However, in the context of your recent post, I'm hard pressed to see how it could be taken as anything except an insult (especially given what came immediately after it).  But in the interest of resolving this, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

This isn't a victim vs. big mean villain thing, btw.  I simply did not appreciate your tirade when Spamage announced that I was going to rejoin as Pope.  I think that's more than a little melodramatic.  Anyway, like I said, I don't think this thread is the place to do this; it's not fair to Spamage or the other players.  Honestly, I don't have the energy to expend going around and around about this, so let's just try to move on.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2017, 02:39:54 PM »

Reading the account of Augustus' downfall was like a freaking thriller.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »

Yes, it was a lot of fun.  Btw, I do hope you make more of those flag cartoons for this game at some point.  Those things were hilarious even when they were for a game I hadn't played in Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »

Yes, it was a lot of fun.  Btw, I do hope you make more of those flag cartoons for this game at some point.  Those things were hilarious even when they were for a game I hadn't played in Tongue

Those are called countryballs.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

you helped get rid of the libirum veto. You did more to help Poland by losing than you ever could had by winning.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »

Spamage, I assume we're to wait for you to post turn crisies before posting anything in the gameplay thread, right?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »

Spamage, I assume we're to wait for you to post turn crisies before posting anything in the gameplay thread, right?

I'm fine if you post stuff, I just don't want someone posting in between the multi-part prompt section as it would look sloppy.

I'm working on the prompts, I hope to have everything finished this evening.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »

With Spamage's permission, I have returned as Venice.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »

With Spamage's permission, I have returned as Venice.
Welcome back!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies