Who will replace Tillerson and Sessions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:41:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who will replace Tillerson and Sessions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who will replace Tillerson and Sessions?  (Read 1398 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »

Just as the title says, in case of a resignation or firing, who are the likeliest candidates to replace Tillerson as the state department and/or Sessions at the DOJ?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »

Ideally Nikki Haley and Patrick Fitzgerald

Likely Rudy/John Bolton and Judge Jeanine
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »

Two saps who will more than likely be fired or will resign, after 6 months on the job.
Which two saps ? To be continued .....
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »

Pretty sure Nikki Haley would become the new Secretary of State.

I'm not sure about the Justice Department. Maybe Pam Bondi or Kris Kobach.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »

John Bolton for SoS and Kris Kobach at AG.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »

When he goes, Tillerson's most likely replacement will be Haley.

If/when Trump fires Sessions or the man walks away from the job he gave up his Senate seat for, any replacement will need to be someone who can convince a paranoid and cowardly senile narcissist that they will violate their public oaths in order to protect his private (and likely criminal) interests, and who can simultaneously convince an increasingly skeptical US Senate that they will both do the job and won't do exactly what Trump will be demanding they do.

Who can get through that keyhole, I have no idea. But I doubt anyone else with a successful public career will want to throw it away on working for an ungrateful egomaniac.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

I don't know, but do people really think Kobach is going to abandon his shot at governor in order to go be a dancing monkey holding fig leaves for a demonstrably disloyal and mercurial Trump?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »

Two saps who will more than likely be fired or will resign, after 6 months on the job.
Which two saps ? To be continued .....

This. Trump has proven himself to be mentally unstable and irrational. He wants loyalty and gives what in return? Nothing I want, and nothing any rational person should want. He'll turn on you on a dime!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »

If Bolton gets in, I'm jumping off the train for my personal safety. Everything he touches turns into a near nuclear war.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:49:05 AM »

If Trump nominates Bolton for State, he won't be confirmed. Haley or Romney are the most likely options with a nearly 100% chance for confirmation.

Kris Kobach won't be Attorney General since he's running for governor. Either Pam Bondi or Rudy Giuliani. Dark horse: Michele Bachman.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:31:18 AM »

Like with most appointments in the Trump administration, there will be a lot of speculation about big names but it will up being some minor RNC functionary that no one has ever heard of.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:39:06 AM »

Haley will be SoS. They're grooming her to be the perfect 2024 candidate I think. She probably becomes SoS somewhere in 2019. If Trump wins reelection she retires in late 2022 or early 2023 to focus on a presidential campaign, if Trump loses reelection she has her hands free to run in 2024. It still would be a very uphill battle though, Haley probably isn't the ideal candidate to win a GOP primary and once she runs her favorability ratings will drop to "normal" levels (like Hillary's ratings dropped). And she'll either after 8 years of an unpopular president (ask McCain how that ends up) or she'll face an incumbent Democratic president. Unless Bernie or Biden wins in 2020

I don't know who will be AG. Giuliani probably doesn't want it, if he wanted to be in the administration he already would have had a cabinet job. Kobach is running for governor like someone else said. Maybe Ted Cruz? The GOP can appoint someone more popular (they can't afford losing Texas) and Cruz gets actual power. He has been getting more cooperative lately btw.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »

Haley will be SoS. They're grooming her to be the perfect 2024 candidate I think. She probably becomes SoS somewhere in 2019. If Trump wins reelection she retires in late 2022 or early 2023 to focus on a presidential campaign, if Trump loses reelection she has her hands free to run in 2024. It still would be a very uphill battle though, Haley probably isn't the ideal candidate to win a GOP primary and once she runs her favorability ratings will drop to "normal" levels (like Hillary's ratings dropped). And she'll either after 8 years of an unpopular president (ask McCain how that ends up) or she'll face an incumbent Democratic president. Unless Bernie or Biden wins in 2020

I don't know who will be AG. Giuliani probably doesn't want it, if he wanted to be in the administration he already would have had a cabinet job. Kobach is running for governor like someone else said. Maybe Ted Cruz? The GOP can appoint someone more popular (they can't afford losing Texas) and Cruz gets actual power. He has been getting more cooperative lately btw.

The rumor was that Giuliani DID want a cabinet post but they didn't give it to him for some infighting related reason.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

I don't get the Haley popularity. Her politics aren't Trumpy, she says stuff like "everyone knows Russia meddled in our elections", which I suspect isn't that popular with Republicans (and Democrats won't care in a few years), and won't endear her to Trump. Also, there's the fact that Pence would be a sitting Vice President, and will probably run. Unlike Cheney or Biden, he isn't super-old and could easily follow the path of previous Vice Presidents, like Bush Senior or Gore. Finally there's the fact that Haley endorsed Marco Rubio in the South Carolina primary, and he came in third.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »

I don't get the Haley popularity. Her politics aren't Trumpy, she says stuff like "everyone knows Russia meddled in our elections", which I suspect isn't that popular with Republicans (and Democrats won't care in a few years), and won't endear her to Trump. Also, there's the fact that Pence would be a sitting Vice President, and will probably run. Unlike Cheney or Biden, he isn't super-old and could easily follow the path of previous Vice Presidents, like Bush Senior or Gore. Finally there's the fact that Haley endorsed Marco Rubio in the South Carolina primary, and he came in third.
I was very critical of her appointment to begin with. She's a snake in the henhouse.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »

Haley and Giuliani (but he may not want it)
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »

I am not sure that Sessions will quit, and if Trump fires him, it may cause open revolt on the GOP side.  But, if he goes, Trump would almost certainly nominate Giuliani or Christie.  He probably feels that he should have done that from the start, and will not hesitate now.  Whether they can get confirmed is anyone's guess.

I am also sceptical that Tillerson would resign, without at least a good public reason.  So far, we haven't seen it.  As for SoS replacement, if there is one, no way is he nominating Haley.  It will be either an olive branch towards the GOP (Romney or Corker) or, if he is totally gone by then, it could be someone like Kushner.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »

The rumor was that Giuliani DID want a cabinet post but they didn't give it to him for some infighting related reason.

Bannon's counting any of Kushner's loss as his gain. Now he has to keep them all playing nice with each other.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 10:55:36 PM »

Haley and Giuliani (but he may not want it)

I don't think Trump will even consider Giuliani after he defended Sessions' recusal.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »

Christie for Attorney General (with Pence providing the tie-breaking vote), and Rohrabacher for Secretary of State.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies