Lower the age of majority to 16?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:07:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Lower the age of majority to 16?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should the age of majority be lowered to 16?
sure

don't care

no

for certain things only

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Lower the age of majority to 16?  (Read 2916 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »

How would you feel about lowering the age of majority to 16?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »

Big advocate.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »

Hell no, I don't want to be an adult (At least, not yet).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »

They aren't mentally ready. I vote NAY on the motion to proceed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

no way
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »

Nyet.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »

They aren't mentally ready. I vote NAY on the motion to proceed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »

Considering the recent social and cultural trends towards delaying the onset of adulthood, a proposal to reduce the age of majority is quite bizarre.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »

It already is in Scotland, but not much is really different.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »

Considering the recent social and cultural trends towards delaying the onset of adulthood, a proposal to reduce the age of majority is quite bizarre.
Not everyone likes those social and cultural trends. Ever hear the term, "Millenials"?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »

Voting age != age of majority.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »

Treating people like children will not help the process. Give them occupations, good Christian upbringings, and basic rights, such as voting.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »

Age of majority should be based on competence, not a number.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »

Who will develop the competency test?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »

Who will develop the competency test?

I have one in the works:

1. Are you a straight, white male over 21, with an income of over $250,000?
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

The right says everyone who says no is incompetent, the left says the opposite.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 06:42:07 PM »

At no point in history have people under 18/21 been as restricted as they are now. It could be argued that black female lesbian 17-year-olds had more freedom in the 1950s than white male straight 17-year-olds do today. There's going to be a point at which people under 18/21 are going to say, "enough!"
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »

At no point in history have people under 18/21 been as restricted as they are now. It could be argued that black female lesbian 17-year-olds had more freedom in the 1950s than white male straight 17-year-olds do today. There's going to be a point at which people under 18/21 are going to say, "enough!"
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »

Treating people like children will not help the process. Give them occupations, good Christian upbringings, and basic rights, such as voting.

Certainly, but giving legal rights to people who lack the maturity to make use of them responsibly seems backwards. This project needs to begin in society, with parents giving their children better upbringings with more autonomy.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »

Certainly, but giving legal rights to people who lack the maturity to make use of them responsibly seems backwards. This project needs to begin in society, with parents giving their children better upbringings with more autonomy.
You estimate the degree to which people assume that the law is correct. Parents often deny their children autonomy because the law says that they're children. Plenty of parents are fine with their kids drinking at a younger age on a trip to Europe.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:24 PM »

You estimate the degree to which people assume that the law is correct. Parents often deny their children autonomy because the law says that they're children. Plenty of parents are fine with their kids drinking at a younger age on a trip to Europe.

If that hypothesis held, we would expect helicopter parenting to end when the children go off to college. My experience both as student and as staff at a university would tend to contradict that. It is certainly diminished, but given the difference in distance that exists between high school and college (few parents have the means to visit a professor in person) some of the displays I have seen of helicopter parenting are nevertheless astonishing.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 10:12:14 PM »

Yes and no.  I certainly hate that we have (as a society) been delaying marriage and having kids to later and later in life.  No one should reach their late 20s and still not be settled down with kids.  I think our mainstream pop culture and TV shows glorifying the 30 year-old single lifestyle has to be at least partially to blame.  At the rate our society has moved to delaying adulthood, the concept of a grandparent will be a thing of the past soon enough.  I'm fortunate enough to have known all four of my grandparents into adulthood (and three of them are still with us), but I wonder how many more generations will be able to say that.

I think treating people as adults at age 16 could be a useful tool to fixing this issue.  Honestly, I would probably be OK giving most or all rights of adulthood at 16, as it largely has been (if not younger) throughout human history.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 12:15:09 AM »

I certainly hate that we have (as a society) been delaying marriage and having kids to later and later in life.  No one should reach their late 20s and still not be settled down with kids.  I think our mainstream pop culture and TV shows glorifying the 30 year-old single lifestyle has to be at least partially to blame.  At the rate our society has moved to delaying adulthood, the concept of a grandparent will be a thing of the past soon enough.  I'm fortunate enough to have known all four of my grandparents into adulthood (and three of them are still with us), but I wonder how many more generations will be able to say that.

It's also interesting to me how teenagers today seem to be very docile and timid. No longer do they argue with their parents, no longer do they dress in ways that piss off their parents, no longer do they stay out late, no longer do they throw house parties, no longer do they have sex, etc.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 02:59:25 AM »

Voting age != age of majority.

The legal age of majority is 16 and has been for some time. The voting age for all but Westminster elections was brought down to 16 only recently.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »

it is legal in most states for parents to let under age children drink alcohol on private property.  cite
You must be logged in to read this quote.
In 8 states it's legal to do it in bars:Connecticut, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Most people/parents are totally ignorant of this though....I don't know why.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »

No, I'm oppsed to that. I think 18 is just right. There are lots of studies that say that average men and women are psychologically "an adult" at around 25. Not that I say this has to be the majority age. And for sure there are exceptions. Some folks are more mature at 16 than others at 50. Therefore I would leave it at 18.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies