Trump bans transgenders from military service
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:11:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump bans transgenders from military service
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: Trump bans transgenders from military service  (Read 11550 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »

Anyways, next order of business. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »

Yes. Reversing this order.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »

in 2021
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »

Now now, don't get strange on me Grumps. Come on.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »

I'm trying to give Badger hope.  Wink
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »

Is there even an order to reverse at this point?  Dunford says that a tweet isn't an order, and that he's not going to actually change anything until Trump explains what he means in an order to Mattis:

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/344107-joint-chiefs-chairman-no-change-in-transgender-policy-until-trump-sends

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »

Joint Chiefs had no idea this was coming, including Gen Dunford. They are asking the WH for guidance on what to do next (admin seps, keep them in, etc.) http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/trump-military-transgender-ban-joint-chiefs/index.html

So Trump tweeting this out to only score political points with the religious right members of Congress that wanted the Ash Carter guidance tweaked makes sense.

Or to put it another way, Trump is so stupid and such an incompetent that he can't even successfully conduct bigotry.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »

JCS: no change to the status quo until they get the guidance from the WH and promulgate amongst the services (which is the normal route). http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/27/trump-transgender-military-ban-no-modification-241029

I can see Trump asking for Dunford's resignation after this. What a sh#tshow.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »

Joint Chiefs had no idea this was coming, including Gen Dunford. They are asking the WH for guidance on what to do next (admin seps, keep them in, etc.) http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/trump-military-transgender-ban-joint-chiefs/index.html

So Trump tweeting this out to only score political points with the religious right members of Congress that wanted the Ash Carter guidance tweaked makes sense.

Or to put it another way, Trump is so stupid and such an incompetent that he can't even successfully conduct bigotry.

It's not bigotry, it's common sense.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »

I'm not going to do an Atlas back and forth on this, but let me put if this way. If a trans SM, has a critical MOS/rate, it definitely isn't common sense to ban them due to the cost of retraining a brand new SM. Surgeries and all that aside, it costs way more to retrain/retool billets especially for critical training pipelines.

Now that said if they can't hack it due to other reasons, sure, sep them but it makes no sense to do a blanket ban on politically motivated stances.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »

I'm not going to do an Atlas back and forth on this, but let me put if this way. If a trans SM, has a critical MOS/rate, it definitely isn't common sense to ban them due to the cost of retraining a brand new SM. Surgeries and all that aside, it costs way more to retrain/retool billets especially for critical training pipelines.

Now that said if they can't hack it due to other reasons, sure, sep them but it makes no sense to do a blanket ban on politically motivated stances.

I don't know anything you just said. Something about a Trans-am.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »

Then maybe you shouldn't speak about military issues then if you don't know anything about it and only rebut with smartass replies. Do some Googling.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: July 27, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »

Then maybe you shouldn't speak about military issues then if you don't know anything about it and only rebut with smartass replies. Do some Googling.

It's called sarcasm, Virginia "moderate".
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »

This isn't even happening:

I think Trump will go off now. "What?! They won't comply and MAGA? Well let me see about that." and asks for JCS resignations.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »

If trump/Bannon had some mysterious "plan" hoping this would help them (somehow, someway) ... It sure looks like it is backfiring big time.
The GOP in the Senate and House hate it.
trump's own military personnel hate it and are publically making trump look like an idiot (in the media), as they are saying they know nothing about it and don't know how to implement it.

All an example of more excellent work from the Orange-Haired Clown.
You cant just make this stuff up.
LOL.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2017, 02:19:26 PM by Devout Centrist »

It hasn't even been enacted yet. In fact nothing has been proposed yet.

Is any of this real anyway? Eh,  it, we should split a bottle of Smirnoff.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »

How likely is it that Pence, Bannon, and a few hard-line Culture Warriors in the White House (and perhaps Congress as well) were lobbying for the transgender ban behind the scenes when Trump tweeted this uh, "policy announcement?" I'm thinking it might have went down like this:

PENCE/BANNON, et.al: Mr. President, we want you to push for a ban on transgender people serving in the military
TRUMP: OK, whatever guys! Sounds terrific!
*tweets*
PENCE::"...that's...not the proce"
BANNON: "Shut up Mike, don't second-guess the Commander-in-Chief!"
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »

Honestly, Donald Trump is a piece of sh-t and anyone who voted for him is a stupid f-ck. I don't even care. Anyone with half a brain could have seen the bullsh-t of the last six months coming, and if you actually like what he's done with and to the presidency, there's categorically something wrong with you.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »

This isn't even happening:

I think Trump will go off now. "What?! They won't comply and MAGA? Well let me see about that." and asks for JCS resignations.

And then North Korea will launch a missile. And without anyone prompting, every single American citizen, and all our allies and rivals, can think about what  it means that the President of the United States is more concerned about trolling liberals over who uses what bathroom than he is about the defense of the nation.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »

Meanwhile while America takes two steps back, China takes one step forward:

Transgender activists in China just scored a historic victory

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »

Honestly, Donald Trump is a piece of sh-t and anyone who voted for him is a stupid f-ck. I don't even care. Anyone with half a brain could have seen the bullsh-t of the last six months coming, and if you actually like what he's done with and to the presidency, there's categorically something wrong with you.

^^ Well, this.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »

...didn't you vote for Stephen Harper?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2017, 04:39:56 PM »

I have never cast a ballot for Stephen Harper in my life. And to equate the Conservative Party of Canada or any other mainstream conservative with Trump and his brand of politics is assinine. Do people really think we're just spouting cheap lines when we say that Trump is uniquely bad? We're not.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »

This is just pandering to social conservatives.

[Weak Theory - probably not true but interesting to think about] Maybe the GOP were worried about the more populist tone of the Democrats taking back some of the working-class going into 2018, so they wanted to pass this bill to increase the loyalty of working-class social conservatives.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »

This is just pandering to social conservatives.

[Weak Theory - probably not true but interesting to think about] Maybe the GOP were worried about the more populist tone of the Democrats taking back some of the working-class going into 2018, so they wanted to pass this bill to increase the loyalty of working-class social conservatives.

Oh, I think this is absolutely a credible theory. The more time Democrats spend talking about this, the less time they spend talking about populist policies (not that they should shy away from trans issues, but it's easier for Republicans to put them on defense here).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies