Why does Trump inspire so much loyalty?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does Trump inspire so much loyalty?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why does Trump inspire so much loyalty?  (Read 1925 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »

Fox broadcast a LGBT presser from some NY group.  These are just a few of the reactions.  I'd say 90% of the thousand plus reactions are like these.  Perhaps they just like him, even if you can't understand why:

Give me a SINGLE justifiable reason we should foot the bill for that.
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 148 · 2 hrs
Manage
9 Replies · 1 hr

Diane Mcginley · 2:09 They only want to use the military to pay for their operations
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 123 · 2 hrs

Chris Hurt · 0:47 The military is not a place for social PC experimentation..... The focus needs to be on the mission and not sensitivity training and crap like that too...

Jen Porter · 9:04 STFU! Transgenders do NOT belong defending our freedom. Don't blame this on our awesome POTUS. Senior military officials made this decision. Together. Deal with it.
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 110 · 2 hrs

Paula J Drummond · 1:42 Transgender does not belong in the military. The American people should not have to pay for their choices.

Ivy Bastardia · 2:26 You want me to accept you as a woman but you couldn't accept yourself as a man

So the answer is.... Morons?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »

The first time that I saw Trump in the debates, I recognized the archetype that he was: the Model UN power delegate. Someone whose ideas may or may not be BS, but because of their charisma - and yes, it's often because they are tall, imposing white men - they get a lot of people on their side.

Obviously I didn't fall for it, but compared to the staidness of Hillary Clinton and most other politicians, I can see why millions would fall in love with him.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »

Fox broadcast a LGBT presser from some NY group.  These are just a few of the reactions.  I'd say 90% of the thousand plus reactions are like these.  Perhaps they just like him, even if you can't understand why:

Manage
9 Replies · 1 hr

Diane Mcginley · 2:09 They only want to use the military to pay for their operations

Chris Hurt · 0:47 The military is not a place for social PC experimentation..... The focus needs to be on the mission and not sensitivity training and crap like that too...

Jen Porter · 9:04 STFU! Transgenders do NOT belong defending our freedom. Don't blame this on our awesome POTUS. Senior military officials made this decision. Together. Deal with it.

Paula J Drummond · 1:42 Transgender does not belong in the military. The American people should not have to pay for their choices.

Ivy Bastardia · 2:26 You want me to accept you as a woman but you couldn't accept yourself as a man

Morons who vote, and who Trump courted, and in states Dems thought were untouchable.  Hate him all you want, he ran a brilliant campaign.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »

You can call us that, but we're proud of it. Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »

He ran an unprecedentedly abstract campaign allowing each of his supporters to apply their own wishes and desires to his image. Thus, to every person in this country, Trump stands for a completely different slate of goals, all either the most terrific and amazing or abhorent and treasonous imaginable  depending on whether they are a supporter or detractor.

This is largely true and not talked about nearly enough.  Just going off of two people in my family, Trump represented a TOTALLY different candidate, yet both voted for him.  My dad is a very upper-middle class professional with a graduate degree, has rather culturally liberal views, a staunch fiscal conservative and voted for Trump because he saw him as a new face who didn't have to "play the game" and wouldn't compromise with Democrats on issues like defecit reduction like McConnell and his lifetime politician buddies always did in the end.  My grandmother, on the other hand, was a lifelong Democrat from a working class family, didn't go to college, has a very populist outlook and culturally conservative views, would come across as very "intolerant" to many younger people and she voted for Trump because she thought Hillary didn't respect people like her.  However, they'd both be grouped by Atlas in this "Trumpist" group and be assigned the various attributes that the forum has decided describe *Trump voters* simply because they didn't have the *common sense* to vote for Hillary Clinton for President.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »

Manage
9 Replies · 1 hr

Morons who vote, and who Trump courted, and in states Dems thought were untouchable.  Hate him all you want, he ran a brilliant campaign.

This is what I spent all last year trying to tell these idiots. They completely ignored the facts. Trump voters are the white, grown-ups who raised my crappy generation.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »

Adolf Hitler, Rafael Trujillo, Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier, and Hugo Chavez also ran brilliant campaigns. Donald Trump may not he that bad, but he is the first demagogue to get so far in an allegedly well-educated, technologically-sophisticated country since the Antichrist won in Germany.

Some people wanted to believe in a man and his nebulous slogan "Make America Great Again" that they can interpret to mean whatever they want it to mean.

A basic rule: it is the politician who offers such a phrase who decides what it means.  
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »

Someone doesn't remember the period from late 2001 to like, 2005-2007ish (depending on how you measure these things).

Not new.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »

To elaborate: there's been a clear tendency for the Republican Party to become more deeply partisan and more loyal to a Republican President ever since Barry Goldwater won the Republican nomination in an upset victory over Nelson Rockefeller (and with it, Rockefeller's brand of Republican politics; notice how even the less "Reaganist" Republicans like Nixon, Ford, and George Bush the Elder were moving to the Right in the post-Goldwater era).

However, with each Republican presidential loss from Goldwater on (Ford, Bush Sr, Dole, McCain, Romney) both ideological rigidity and partisan discipline got stronger within the party. And this, of course, was also hardened by both increasingly unanimous (or very close to unanimous, anyway) opposition to Democratic Presidents as well as rallying around Republican Presidents. And in cases where an unpopular Republican President was unseated by a Democrat (Ford, Bush Sr.) or had their Presidency end in unequivocal disgrace (Nixon, Bush Jr.) this same tendency was solidified even more.

All of this, naturally, had the effect of driving comparatively "moderate" Republicans away from the party (even if they were only temperamentally moderate) - that is to say, Republicans who are/were more receptive to bipartisanship or interested in even the basics of governance. Which has had entirely predictable consquences.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »

Because he acts like and expects people to think he is the Donfather.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »

Daddy issues?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies