IQ Scores
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:05:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  IQ Scores
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IQ Scores  (Read 1337 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:20:35 AM »

Mine is 126.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:45:49 AM »

They really are meaningless.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:41:55 AM »

And I really hate groups like MENSA. I mean, the top 2% only? What about the other 97% of us!? Jeez.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:04 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2017, 08:54:34 AM by Jacobin American »

And I really hate groups like MENSA. I mean, the top 2% only? What about the other 97% of us!? Jeez.

How the hell would not being part of the top 2% equal 97%? There are only 60 minutes in an hour. So, 60 minus 2% would be 58. Open a damn math book because you're talking like a freaking retard.

*Obvious joke is obvious
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2017, 08:52:41 AM by dead0man »

I'm 96% sure that was supposed to be a joke.

and IQ scores are not meaningless, they just aren't a complete measure of intelligence.  They are a great  measure of how well one takes an IQ test though.

edit-also, asking for them online is like asking for dick size or a woman's weight....you often ain't getting the truth.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »

I'm 96% sure that was supposed to be a joke.

If that is aimed at me, I know Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

^^ Pretty much this. IQ tests are extremely limited, not to mention largely culturally relative. There are notable limitations to an IQ test. Ironically, it's usually the least intelligent who promote IQ tests and claim to have the highest results...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »

^^ Pretty much this. IQ tests are extremely limited, not to mention largely culturally relative. There are notable limitations to an IQ test.
sure, but, if a person scores a 150, they are likely going to be pretty smart.  They still might not be able to play well with others or not be able to pay attention to unimportant things like whether they left the stove on or not.  And yeah, you can learn a lot from a dummy...I mean ahhh, someone with a low IQ score.  It's certainly not "largely culturally relative".  Yeah, there may be some questions where the wording would favor middle class Americans over non-middle class Americans but there is no cultural limitations on 2+2=4 or "what will this box look like if it's unfolded?".

(unless you want to talk about how some cultures favor education and others discourage it, but that's a hole 'nother thread and not really one that can be fixed by changing how we measure intelligence or by the cultures that favor education explaining to the others why they should too)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 02:26:07 PM »

Never taken an actual scientific test, but the online ones peg me somewhere between 140 and 160. As others have said, these are largely devoid of meaning, and I'm living proof
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »

i can usually get the jist of someone's intelligence within a few minutes of conversation.  I'm good at weeding out the stupid ones.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »

If you're asking what my average score on an IQ test would be I'm fairly sure it has three digits.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »

Higher than 60
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »

The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »

I suspect few if any have actually had a formal IQ test. Formal tests typically have multiple parts and include oral exam questions as well as written ones. I had one when I was about 7, and it was used for class and grade placement as my family moved frequently when I was in elementary school.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »

Mine is higher than 0 and lower than 200, I think. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »

How much does your IQ go down when one gets old I wonder (assuming you don't yet suffer from dementia)?
Rjjr77
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »

95, only A Ive ever gotten on a test.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »

Critical thinking skills are more important than IQ for making good decisions in life
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »

I usually score between 105 and 125 in these tests.

In high-school, we had an extensive one and I scored 122 or something.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »

I suspect few if any have actually had a formal IQ test.
I have. 125. It was several years ago, but they tend to vary by a point or so over time, if that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »

sure, but, if a person scores a 150, they are likely going to be pretty smart.  They still might not be able to play well with others or not be able to pay attention to unimportant things like whether they left the stove on or not. 

In the book Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell talks about IQ and how the people at the far top end of the scale don't dominate achievement like you expect they would if IQ counted for as much as people think it does. There are many other factors that are important in determining achievement (or ability to function in society for that matter), including things such as upbringing and creativity.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »

sure, but, if a person scores a 150, they are likely going to be pretty smart.  They still might not be able to play well with others or not be able to pay attention to unimportant things like whether they left the stove on or not. 

In the book Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell talks about IQ and how the people at the far top end of the scale don't dominate achievement like you expect they would if IQ counted for as much as people think it does. There are many other factors that are important in determining achievement (or ability to function in society for that matter), including things such as upbringing and creativity.

I have read that IQ matters insofar as for certain professions it is very hard to enter them without having at least a certain analytical level of intelligence, which IQ approximates.  Everybody knows that not everyone can become a pure maghematician or theoretical physicist, for instance.  However, once in a career, future success deends far more on other factors such as conscientiousness and extroversion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »

I have read that IQ matters insofar as for certain professions it is very hard to enter them without having at least a certain analytical level of intelligence, which IQ approximates.  Everybody knows that not everyone can become a pure maghematician or theoretical physicist, for instance.  However, once in a career, future success deends far more on other factors such as conscientiousness and extroversion.

Insofar as IQ is important, it breaks down into a few strata that roughly correspond to a capacity for scholastic achievement (which you allude to by referring to "at least a certain analytical level of of intelligence". Someone with an IQ of 100 probably cannot complete a degree in Physics while someone with an IQ of 130 is far more likely to have the capacity to do so. However, someone with an IQ of 160, while in principle far more brilliant, is actually not much more likely to have the ability to complete advanced training and develop a career in a technical field than the person with an IQ of 130 is. Instead, there are other factors that are more important in determining who succeeds and who fails when we get to numbers at that level.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies