Why the (once) failing New York Times loves Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:39:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why the (once) failing New York Times loves Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the (once) failing New York Times loves Trump  (Read 1001 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »

The paper that disgraced itself in a rush to cheerlead the Iraq war and partnered with Bannon to attack Hillary Clinton loves Donald Trump, their investment in him has paid off:

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »

This is not particularly useful information in a vacuum. Do you have information on their print subscription dropoffs?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »

Gotta love how one man has had the ability to change the entire planet. I love it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »

This is not particularly useful information in a vacuum. Do you have information on their print subscription dropoffs?

They are certainly dropping off at the same rate, but it doesn't matter, as overall earnings are up and Times corporate undoubtedly views digital as their future.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Certainly. By strengthening the corporate establishment and consolidated media.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »

They are certainly dropping off at the same rate, but it doesn't matter, as overall earnings are up and Times corporate undoubtedly views digital as their future.
Well, of course digital is the future. (actually, it's the present) But the main reason I was interested in print dropoffs is that as a news organization, advertising and subscription revenues pay the bills, but the number of eyeballs that read your stories play a big role in determining how relevant you are.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »

Really? This is best you have? I wonder why a paper might want to get early access to a potential story about someone running for President.

Did they run any articles "confirming" what's written in Clinton Cash? Did they try to sow doubt in people's minds about Hillary using that book's claims? If no to both of those questions, then you have no case.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »

Really? This is best you have? I wonder why a paper might want to get early access to a potential story about someone running for President.

Did they run any articles "confirming" what's written in Clinton Cash? Did they try to sow doubt in people's minds about Hillary using that book's claims? If no to both of those questions, then you have no case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »

They and the Post sign an "exclusive deal" with the hyperpartisan author for access to his book  that cited fake press releases and inflated speaking fees, in exchange for only following the slant he wanted. That's so unusual, even the Times' own Public Editor criticized it. Their campaign coverage certainly was devastating for Clinton, blowing open the negative image of her as corrupt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/23/us/politics/election-clinton-foundation.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/us/politics/hillary-clinton-presidential-campaign-charity.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/27/us/politics/bill-hillary-clinton-foundation-wikileaks.html
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »

Gotta love how one man has had the ability to change the entire planet. I love it.

So did Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun. Shouldn't in the quality of the change involved matter at all?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:50 AM »

So did Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun. Shouldn't in the quality of the change involved matter at all?

Of course, don't be stupid. But strong leaders are needed in the world. We have catered lately to the weak and indeed, we have been good societies, but strength is a great leadership attribute, too. Isn't it?
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »

So much for the "liberal media".
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 11:55:30 AM »

I must admit, I loved how every speech he gave anywhere pre-empted Hillary's last year during the campaign.

"While Secretary Clinton speaks to her supporters...oh yes....sorry John...Donald Trump is speaking now, let's listen in."

Then 30 minutes of Trump. It was wonderful. Now he is the most powerful person on the planet. God what a good election.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »

Apropos of nothing, it feels like the Trumpists are clinging to the election as a safety blanket and ignoring everything that came after it. It's quite interesting.

TRUMPISTS: "WE WON THE ELECTION."

*complete disaster of a first six months ensues, as even Naso acknowledges*

TRUMPISTS: "REMEMBER THE ELECTION!"

You realize that if the election were held tomorrow, he might well win again. I'm guessing he'd take Ohio, quite possibly Florida, North Carolina, Iowa and Pennsylvania all over again. Wisconsin too. He'd win despite you all claiming what a disaster he's been.

He just had 20,000+ at a damn rally an hour away from me two nights ago. It's like we are living in alternate realities, only mine is real.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »

The President, if he were remotely - and be honest - as successful as you imagine him in your dreams - would be far more successful six months in. And yet, your major counterpoint is his ... Electoral college victory?

YES. A win is a win is a win.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »

Admit it, Naso, straight up. You want to beat the left more than advance the Right's goals. Or well, actually you did. 
This is the goal of the vast majority of conservatives.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »

Admit it, Naso, straight up. You want to beat the left more than advance the Right's goals. Or well, actually you did. 

No, it's the goals of nihilists who think that beating the Left is somehow about not advancing our own agenda. This is the problem with the modern American Republican Party or rather the Trumpists who seized it.

It's also the hand of losers. If you're just stopping them when they win and cement their gains, it's going to be about stopping THAT. And then when they win again and cement even more gains, it'll just be about stopping THAT. That line is that line, but oh wait, it's not really the line where we make a stand.

I seem to find that more progress has been made by President Trump himself than the do-nothing spineless congressional Republicans.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »

He just had 20,000+ at a damn rally an hour away from me two nights ago. It's like we are living in alternate realities, only mine is real.

LOL.
Someone still talking about The Clown's "rally" size.
As if that means anything.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 12:40:03 PM »

https://amgreatness.com/2017/07/25/polls-dont-tell-tale-trumps-support-deep-here2/
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »

Apropos of nothing, it feels like the Trumpists are clinging to the election as a safety blanket and ignoring everything that came after it. It's quite interesting.

TRUMPISTS: "WE WON THE ELECTION."

*complete disaster of a first six months ensues, as even Naso acknowledges*

TRUMPISTS: "REMEMBER THE ELECTION!"

You realize that if the election were held tomorrow, he might well win again. I'm guessing he'd take Ohio, quite possibly Florida, North Carolina, Iowa and Pennsylvania all over again. Wisconsin too. He'd win despite you all claiming what a disaster he's been.

No, Clinton would win by 7 points.

But I get it. "FAKE NEWS LIBRUL MEDIA RIGGED POLLINOG SAID HILLARY WOULD WIN!!1!111!!" lol
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »

No, it's the goals of nihilists who think that beating the Left is somehow about not advancing our own agenda. This is the problem with the modern American Republican Party or rather the Trumpists who seized it.

It's also the hand of losers. If you're just stopping them when they win and cement their gains, it's going to be about stopping THAT. And then when they win again and cement even more gains, it'll just be about stopping THAT. That line is that line, but oh wait, it's not really the line where we make a stand.

I seem to find that more progress has been made by President Trump himself than the do-nothing spineless congressional Republicans.
What progress exactly? His executive action has been relatively muted and his strongest measures have been gutted by the courts.

The ten bills Congress has passed thus far are much more inspiring.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »

Of course, don't be stupid. But strong leaders are needed in the world. We have catered lately to the weak and indeed, we have been good societies, but strength is a great leadership attribute, too. Isn't it?

Yes strength is great leadership attribute, but it is one Trump utterly lacks. Like all bullies, he struts and huff and preys upon those who can't fight back, yet when the going gets tough, he gets going.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies