Bernie in OK and WV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:04:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie in OK and WV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would Bernie have won a county in both states?
Yes.
Only OK.
Only WV.
No.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Bernie in OK and WV  (Read 3918 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »

Oklahoma and West Virginia were the only states, all of whose counties Trump won.
In the primaries he won both states with an overwhelming majority.
Do you think Bernie could have won at least one county in either state?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:52:36 PM »

Doubt he'd win a county in either but West Virginia's the far more likely of the two.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »

Clinton's "best" county in West Virginia was Monongalia Ct., which she lost by 10.16%.
Her "best" county in Oklahoma - by far!!! - was Oklahoma Ct., which she lost by "only" 10.5%.
This is Eharding, guys
ossoff2028

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »

No, but he would have a much higher chance in West Virginia.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2017, 04:17:48 PM by RINO Tom »

I think he'd win one coal county or something in WV ... no chance in OK.

EDIT: It would be REALLY interesting if all of the Southern states had closed primaries ... it would certainly have a fascinating effect on our primary process.  If that many people in Oklahoma are still registered Democrats, I imagine there would be even more in other Southern states, specifically Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »

Clinton's "best" county in West Virginia was Monongalia Ct., which she lost by 10.16%.
Her "best" county in Oklahoma - by far!!! - was Oklahoma Ct., which she lost by "only" 10.5%.
Bernie would not have done very well in Oklahoma County, but I think he might have done better than Hillary in Monongalia County.
This is Eharding, guys
ossoff2028

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:04 PM »

Tom, Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, and Louisiana have closed Democratic primaries.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »

Bernie would not have done very well in Oklahoma County, but I think he might have done better than Hillary in Monongalia County.

I went out on a limb and voted yes on both....

As others have noted Monongalia County and Oklahoma County would be the two that I think would have flipped.

Monongolia County is a major University County.... Oklahoma County has a major bulge in prime Bernie age Demographics 18-35 years olds, many of whom either sat out the election or voted for 3rd Party Candidates.

I have a hard time seeing Bernie performing worse than Clinton in either, and see it entirely plausible that he would have been able to eke out a narrow win in both.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »

As others have noted Monongalia County and Oklahoma County would be the two that I think would have flipped.

Monongolia County is a major University County.... Oklahoma County has a major bulge in prime Bernie age Demographics 18-35 years olds, many of whom either sat out the election or voted for 3rd Party Candidates.

I have a hard time seeing Bernie performing worse than Clinton in either, and see it entirely plausible that he would have been able to eke out a narrow win in both.

I firmly believe Bernie would have won the overall election, but I just don't think Oklahoma County would have flipped for any Democrat, not even Biden. Monongalia maybe for Biden, but that's about it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

Both would've lost all counties in OK and WV.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »

I doubt he would have won any in Oklahoma, since he probably wouldn't have done significantly better in Oklahoma county. Monongalia, WV might've gone for him, though.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »

I firmly believe Bernie would have won the overall election, but I just don't think Oklahoma County would have flipped for any Democrat, not even Biden. Monongalia maybe for Biden, but that's about it.

Both would've lost all counties in OK and WV.

Ok--- to keep the thread going, and continue the time honored Atlasian fashion of taking contrarian positions....

Trump narrowly captured over 50% in both Monongalia County (50.14%) and Oklahoma County (51.7%).

In the case of the former, it is pretty clear that there were a significant number of 3rd Party Voters, many of whom likely would have backed Bernie in a GE against Trump... (5% Libertarian, 2% Green,  1.5% Write-Ins (Bernie?).

Additionally, one needs to consider the increased turnout among Millennial voters in a College Town with Bernie running at the top of the Dem ticket. Also, one should also consider the economic populist appeal and messaging to WWC voters that could likely have flipped 2-3% of the voters that backed Trump mainly because of his economic protectionist messaging, that typically tend to vote Democratic on pocketbook issues.

Admittedly, Oklahoma County would be a slightly tougher slog....

As I covered elsewhere, you did have a bit of a swing towards HRC in Upper-Income precincts in Oklahoma County. Would those same voters have supported Bernie, or instead voted Libertarian or stayed home?

Still, Johnson scored 7.1% in Oklahoma County, many likely from younger voters, without any ballot option for Green or Write-In candidates. Also, as I noted there is a significant age spike among the 18-35 year old population in this County, many of whom likely did not vote at all.

Despite Oklahoma's stereotype as one of the buckles on the Bible Belt, there is also a strong residual economic populist strain that I suspect might have caused 2-3% of Trump voters in Oklahoma County to defect....

Anyways--- just throwing this out there, and looking forward to seeing y'all poke some holes in my contrarian argument. Wink
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »

Yeah, he would've had a chance in some of the college towns
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »

The last Democrat to win any counties in OK was Gore in 2000. In addition, the last Democrat to win Oklahoma County was Johnson in 1964, while the last Democrat to win Tulsa county was Roosevelt in 1936. Thus, I think it would have been difficult for any OK counties to flip.

On the other hand, the last Democrat to win any counties in WV was Obama in 2008. Given the effects of Hillary's anti-coal comment, as well as Bernie's ability to appeal to working-class voters, I think it is plausible that he could have at least avoided being "shut out" like Obama in 2012 and Hillary in 2016.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »

OK is too religious.  WV is likelier, though, given The Bern's working-class appeal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »

WV but not OK.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »

No, no, no and another no. Something like half of his primary voters said they would vote for Trump in the general, which doesn't translate into winning a county.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »

No, no, no and another no. Something like half of his primary voters said they would vote for Trump in the general, which doesn't translate into winning a county.

Citation needed
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 09:40:47 PM »

He might have won a county or two in WV against Trump. He would have won 5-10 or so vs Cruz and 15-20 vs Jeb. He wouldn't have won any in OK. 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »

Citation needed

Clearly you didn't pay much attention to the CNN exit polls.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »

Citation needed

I definitely paid attention to the CNN exit polls, and they showed that Bernie beat HRC 70-25 among the 18-29 Demographic and 62-23 among the 30-44 Demographic in West Virginia.

Hence my argument that Monongalia County would likely have flipped....

35% of the County is 18-29, and 17% is 30-44.

There are no Exit Polls for the General Election in WV, and I have a  vague hunch that Millennial turnout was pretty low with high 3rd Party support among that demographic.

Regarding the "DINOs" and Pro-Trump Democrats in the Primary, it should also be noted that only 5% of WV residents aged 18-29 voted essentially for none of the above, the lowest of any age group.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 11:26:24 PM »

Citation needed

Bernie wins his voters almost 2-1 there, and wins the primary voters by 18 points in the gereral, compared to only 8 points for Hillary.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »

Pardon me, it was the CBS exit poll http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279430-nearly-half-of-sanders-voters-in-west-virginia-would-vote
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »

That's if Hillary was the nominee. We already know that Hillary did poorly in WV.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2017, 12:00:51 AM by Invisible Obama »

Sanders would have totally won West Virginia. Berniebros are so realistic.

No one who really is progressive would vote for Trump under any circumstances. Most of them were the same types that voted for a convicted felon in prison over Obama.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies