Press Room
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:50:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Press Room
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Press Room  (Read 1417 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »

Did you threaten to overrule him?

Press Room:

And here is the thread I imagine some players might end up abusing. Here is where you talk to the press, either via interviews, appeareances on shows, speaking to journalists across the country or outside Westminster, and so on. You can start posting reactions to the election here.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 05:23:03 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:32:38 PM »

DUP Leader Arlene Foster Outside of Stormont

"The DUP have had a massive success in this election, seating 7 MPs. Although that is down from our 8 after the 2010 election, I still feel we can consider it a success given our thorough victory in the popular vote. The DUP came out 8% ahead of Sinn Fein, and 24% ahead of the next largest Unionist Party, the UUP. One would think, with such a commanding vote lead, we would have a larger margin between the number of MPs, but that is simply the nature of the game now. I whole heartily congratulate the slate of newly elected DUP MPs: myself, Nigel Dodds, Ian Paisley, Jr., Jeffrey Donaldson, Pam Lewis, Gregory Campbell, and Norah Beare.

On the matter of forming a government, it clear that the support of the DUP and the Northern Irish Unionist parties will be crucial for Mrs. May as she begins the process of finding the votes to form a Government reflective of the results of this election. We are ready to talk and to listen, in hopes of establishing a government in Westminster that works for Northern Ireland and works for the whole of the United Kingdom. It is my intention to lend my assistance in any way possible to create a secure and stable Government."
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:24:08 PM »

Leader Nuttall Responds to Election Results

We here at UKIP, are very excited after seeing the final election results with our party gaining almost fifty seats. I'd like to congratulate Mrs. May and our great friends and allies in the DUP on their results in the election. This election showed that the British public in both Northern Ireland and the Britain are fully fed up with the Labour. I'm very happy that our people saw through the lies and deception of Labour and saw that they no longer support our working class. We'd be interested in a coalition with Mrs. May and specifically working very closely with Mrs. Foster to achieve our common goals but we will never enter a coalition without a guarantee for a referendum to leave the European Union. I'm very excited to do the work of the pepole of the North East in parliament as their statesman and I am humbled with the grace that the Lord gave me. I'm looking forward to working with all 48 other UKIP members in Parliament!
CMB222
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2017, 03:55:29 PM by Representative CMB222 »

Green Party Press Release

"I have just been astonished by how well the Green Party did in the election earning 9 MPs to serve. But the surprises keep coming as I received a call from Jeremy Corbyn. He wishes to join our party. I said I would gladly accept him and just like that our numbers had increased further. I will now go into Westminster not alone like I did in 2010 but with 9 other friends to help me along. I will leave you all with the touching words of Mr. Corbyn and his view on the failed Labour campaign."

(You can deal with this as you wish Lumine)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »

Robertson reflects on election results
It's been a difficult election for the party and there's a lot of lessons to be learned. The SNP will work with other progressive parties in order to do what's right for the country. Our MPs will always work in the interests of Scotland and will always do what we have been elected to do.

17% of the Scottish vote is similar to what we've achieved in the previous few Westminster elections; but it's not what we were hoping for. However, 10 MPs is our best showing since October 1974 and we hope to have some influence in Parliament in the upcoming term.

I congratulate the Conservatives on being the largest party in this election, as well as the Liberal Democrats on finishing as the second largest party. I hope that a government is able to be formed, with only a coalition between the two largest parties being an option for a two party majority. The SNP is open to helping the formation of a government.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »

To tell you the absolute truth, I am bitterly disappointed with the Labour Party. The Liberal Democrats ran to the left, and Labour didn't try to go where it should've to counter them. We should've gone leftwards; that  is the only way to win the youth vote and the working class vote. We only barely held the north, which is supposed to be our traditional heartland.

I cannot stay as a member of a party that has forgotten where it came from. To so readily abandon the left flank to the Liberal Democrats  . . .  it was insanity. We were outflanked to the left, and that is something we should've been trying to actively counter. Instead, we almost gave up the fight.

I am also gravely disappointed in John McDonnell. I nominated him in our leadership race. I campaigned and voted for him. I defended him in a House of Commons hostile to his politics, yet he sent Owen Smith to a debate instead of going himself. That is not the mark of a good leader,  or even a decent one.

With a heavy heart, I am announcing my withdrawal from the Labour Party, and will be taking my seat with the Green Party, one of the few truly progressive parties left. Thank you.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »

I was at a camp in Boston, and busy with class/homework nearly 24/7. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2017, 12:47:28 PM by Barnes »

Patrick McLoughlin, Chief Whip, speaking to journalists outside of Number 12 Downing Street.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »

Clegg gives first post election press conference

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 04:35:18 AM »

DUP Chief Whip Nigel Dodds speaking to reporters

"I have spoken with Sir Patrick McLoughlin on behalf of the First Minister about the Democratic Unionist Party offering confidence and supply to a Conservative minority government. Put plainly, we are not there yet. At the outset of these negotiations, the DUP clearly laid out three main points that must be met by the Conservatives for us to support their government. We've already compromised on one of those points in hopes of spurring the process along. We're willing to work with the Conservatives, we want to form a Government for the whole of the United Kingdom, it's just not happening yet. I hope we can get there, in time for the Queen's Speech, but at this point we're not there."
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 03:11:31 AM »

Ashdown warns over Tory-UKIP-DUP coalition; 'it would sent us back to 1959'.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »

PRESS RELEASE: UKIP TO VOTE FOR QUEENS SPEECH; BREXIT DEAL HAPPENING

"I just got off the telephone with Prime Minister May and we have a deal to lead the British people it seems. We believe that we received the best end of the bargain with us fulfilling two campaign promises, which we will hold the Conservatives to. Mrs. May and the Conservatives agreed to vote for a bill to create a referendum to leave the European Union by the dissolvement of this session of Parliament. We will also have a date by the end of this session and hopefully we will be out by the end of this session! Mrs. May and the Home Secretary also pledged to cut all non-EU immigration down to at most 50,000 a year for the next five years which will put our people back to work. We will fervently hold the Conservatives to their promises and we look forward to fighting for the British people during this session of Parliament."
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »

Smith : SNP "Betrayed" Scotland In Queen's Speech Vote

"In spite of the fact that an overwhelming majority of Scots — and mind, that includes nearly all those who voted for the SNP — have made abundantly clear that they do not want a Tory government in Westminster, Nicola Sturgeon and her party have formed ranks with the likes of UKIP and the DUP to approve the Queen's Speech and put Mrs. May in Number 10. In light of the fact that theirs will very likely be the deciding vote, it seems the time has come to ask whether the SNP stands for anything other than power for itself. There is something very funny about a party that claims to speak for the Scottish people and then votes to install Scotland's literal last choice as Prime Minister. This is quite simply a betrayal of Scotland and a betrayal of all the SNP claims to stand for, and I tremble at the audacity with which Mdm. Sturgeon would ignore the voice of her people."
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

Shadow Scottish Secretary Alastair Carmicheal on Daily Politics.

SNP will have committed act of monumental act of self-harm on Scotland.

'We all know that the SNP had a long track history of pulling stunts like this but none of us expected them to commit such a blatant act of self-harm on the very people that they're suppose to represent in Scotland. Frankly I don't know how the SNP are going to look the Scottish people in the face and tell them they've just voted to allow the most bigoted, the most reactionary and the most divisive Queens Speech this country has seen.

Ignore the fact that it was written by the most right wing parties we have in Britain, and just look at what it commits us to; a referendum on the membership of the EU. People in Scotland don't want a referendum; they want jobs, they want investment, they want a fairer type of politics. 42% of Scotlands exports go to the EU, £15.8 billion of investment is brought in by EU investment, our great Scottish Universities like Heriot Watt depend on the EU.

And why did they do; simply because the SNP were offered more powers. There's no point having control over the car if the previous owner has sold the engine, slashed the tires and nicked the radio. They say don't look a gift horse in the mouth; frankly this horse is going to bite them in the right in backside.

I want the SNP to know that when every Sure Start centre is closed, when our hospitals start clogging up, and when UKIP and the DUP push through their ugly, ugly agenda, that they'll have to tell every voter in Scotland that they supported it.

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »

Vince Cable discusses the government formation on the BBC's Sunday Politics

Cable: SNP have let Scotland down
'It's clear that the SNP have betrayed their own voters by voting in favour of a Conservative government. Their sudden conversion towards the Tories goes against the social democratic policies that the party claims to have. It appears that the nationalists are committing self harm; following a disastrous election for the party, they've decided to do a deal with the devil to receive limited powers for Scotland.

The Liberal Democrats are committed to devolution, while the Conservatives did everything they could to prevent the creation of a Scottish Parliament. How can they be trusted to deliver on their promise of extra powers to the Celtic nations when they opposed devolution in the first place?

We've always supported home rule; the SNP have decided to vote for a penny when they could've had a gold mine. Trusting the Conservatives to deliver on extra devolution to Scotland is like giving a fox a mandate to guard a chicken pen. The nationalists will find that the chicken will be missing by the end of this parliament.

The people of Scotland won't forgive the SNP for this; it's very likely that they'll lose their majority in Holyrood in the next Scottish election. Indeed, it's possible that their majority will be lost long before that with defections as a result of this deal. The people of Scotland don't want to have a Conservative government trust upon them. It's clear that the Tartan Tories are back.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies