John McCain apology thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:00:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John McCain apology thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: John McCain apology thread  (Read 2944 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 07:19:05 AM »

So McCain has gone from the most hated person on atlas to this huge massive FF maverick. Can't say I didn't see this coming. Like always, I think he's a FF
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 07:52:17 AM »

Today is the day John McCain became President.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »

Given the sad Pub performance on this, and the way Obamacare was passed in the first instance, this is a good reminder that for very important social safety net legislation, it is far better to try to craft something with substantial bipartisan consensus. Neither party has tried very hard to move in that direction. It is all about demonizing the other party. And a lot of folks are being hurt in the process.

A corollary to this, is that crafting legislation of this complexity that fits into the reconciliation loophole to avoid a filibuster, usually means bad legislation. The Dems when they passed Obamacare, knew it had technical problems, but to fix them, would not comport with the reconciliation rules, after their numbers dropped to 59 Senators.

One day perhaps, it will dawn on folks, that all must be insured, with premiums subsidized on a means tested basis, out of the general treasury, and not by forcing some to pay too much, to subsidize others. And the whole system needs to move to an HMO system to boot, to disincentive over treatment, and to do things, like say, handling some problems over the phone, rather than having to actually see a doctor (that is the way HMO's do it now, but outside of that system, the financial incentive is to force patients to drag their butts down to the doctors office, and then wait for often irritatingly long periods, to get seen). Sad!

And yes, yet again, force drug companies to charge the same for drugs to US consumers, as they do when their sell to rich foreign governments, with a single payer system (and thus have monopsony buying power). I am continually amazed why that fix is not discussed in the public square, other than by me. Very, very sad! Boo! Sad

Anyway, if I were still a Pub, and a Senator, I would  have voted no on all of this garbage from day one. What the Pubs have come up with is ludicrous.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 08:44:50 AM »

Just because you voted against what was an obvious HB and you have brain cancer doesn't make up for the past 30 years of complete partisanship mixed with fake PR about being a "maverick".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »

Sure you aren't cosplaying as an Aaron Sorkin character rn, TD?

Well, it's well worth saying. I think that he acted with courage. And to be fair, it should be said. It's nice when people act with courage and moral values instead of bowing to the God-Emperor.

I'd like to believe this is the beginning of the resurrection of the pre-Trump Republican Party and even a hearkening back to a different GOP.

Dude, this healthcare fiasco was caused because GOP POLITICIANS couldn't muster a vote for a bill THEY crafted.

See my point about WH leadership.
You are a delusional hack.

And you're a troll. Small world
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »

Anywho, he better enjoy the attention and praise he gets. He has a plane crash in hell coming up soon. Hows that for edgy?

Maybe after your brother and literally tens of millions like him survive decades longer because his health insurance is continued St Peter just possibly might cut him a mulligan for not blindly backing Donald Trump.

Which after all, is nowadays the primary conservative litmus test for religious piety.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »

Anywho, he better enjoy the attention and praise he gets. He has a plane crash in hell coming up soon. Hows that for edgy?

Maybe after your brother and literally tens of millions like him survive decades longer because his health insurance is continued St Peter just possibly might cut him a mulligan for not blindly backing Donald Trump.

Which after all, is nowadays the primary conservative litmus test for religious piety.

b-but the mexicans and globalists
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »

Maybe after your brother and literally tens of millions like him survive decades longer because his health insurance is continued St Peter just possibly might cut him a mulligan for not blindly backing Donald Trum

Illegals are a threat to my brother's care. Consume resources paid for by his parent's taxes that should go to their son.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2017, 10:46:15 AM by The Mooch! »

Considering his record on everything else, including support for the bombing deaths of children across the globe, I'd wager he's gonna need a hole-in-one on every green. Kim Jong Il style.

Lastly, you know I opposed this bill right? I'm pissed at how McCain operates, not how he voted.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »

Maybe after your brother and literally tens of millions like him survive decades longer because his health insurance is continued St Peter just possibly might cut him a mulligan for not blindly backing Donald Trum

Illegals are a threat to my brother's care. Consume resources paid for by his parent's taxes that should go to their son.

LOL.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »

Apologize for what?
Doing the right thing when you have nothing to lose doesn't make you a hero.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »

Apologize for what?
Doing the right thing when you have nothing to lose doesn't make you a hero.
Yeah by this logic Jay Rockefeller, who took money from coal for thirty years, suddenly blasted the industry in his final speech, is also a maverick.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »

I have nothing to apologize for to John McCain.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »

Why don't we have a thread to praise Collins and Murkowski, who never wavered or grandstanded, but were equally responsible for the result of the vote?

And while we're at it, let's congratulate voters in North Dakota, West Virginia, Missouri, and Montana for sending Democrats to the Senate to make up the 48.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »

I can't wait for a "George W. Bush apology thread" filled with our liberal posters' sudden praises. All that's matters now is that he isn't pro-Trump (and I'm saying this as somebody who detest Trump).
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »

The far-left and far-right love to alternate from hating and loving McCain when it suits them (i.e. when he does stuff they like).

Bunch of hypocrites. I can be pretty critical of McCain, but I know that he is capable of doing both good and bad things. I do not alternate from wishing brain cancer on him to utterly kissing his ass like a decent chunk of our friends here.

It's utterly despicable, and it shows the true hyperpartisanship of America.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 11:36:45 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2017, 11:40:09 AM by Badger »

Considering his record on everything else, including support for the bombing deaths of children across the globe, I'd wager he's gonna need a hole-in-one on every green. Kim Jong Il style.

Lastly, you know I opposed this bill right? I'm pissed at how McCain operates, not how he voted.

I didn't. Or rather now that you mention it I had forgotten. Fair enough. My bad

On that note, in response to the OP I will include my thank you to this thread, but not an apology. McCain regularly poses as a Maverick or a moderate but almost never follows through when the chips are down or when it's politically expedient to throw such things by the wayside. Yes all politicians do that, but he is supposed to be the Maverick, not to mention he poses as one more than any other politician.

That said, good on him to shoot this POS bill down

OMG! That last sentence was a very poor choice of words to thank former Navy pilot n p o w John McCain. 😬
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »

Well sh**t, I was wrong
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »

I didn't. Or rather now that you mention it I had forgotten. Fair enough. My bad

On that note, in response to the OP I will include my thank you to this thread, but not an apology. McCain regularly poses as a Maverick or a moderate but almost never follows through when the chips are down or when it's politically expedient to throw such things by the wayside. Yes all politicians do that, but he is supposed to be the Maverick, not to mention he poses as one more than any other politician.

That said, good on him to shoot this POS bill down

OMG! That last sentence was a very poor choice of words to thank former Navy pilot n p o w John McCain. 😬
It was showing what an actually edgy post would look like. That's the point. Anywho you're inovocation of my brother was somewhat relative to the conversation this time, so hard feelings.

Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »

The "I like Brain cancer because it's killing John McCain" was pretty edgy. You're just trying too hard.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »

The "I like Brain cancer because it's killing John McCain" was pretty edgy. You're just trying too hard.
I came up with that on the fly. Clearly I'm not trying too hard.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »

Mazie Hirono has Stage IV kidney cancer and also voted no, and her no was never in doubt. Where's her standing ovation?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »

Mazie Hirono has Stage IV kidney cancer and also voted no, and her no was never in doubt. Where's her standing ovation?

Off topic, but wow, I didn't know that. I like Hirono. Sad
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »

She wasn't the deciding vote.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »

She wasn't the deciding vote.
Every vote was the deciding vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies