Nawaz Sharif resigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:54:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nawaz Sharif resigns
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nawaz Sharif resigns  (Read 679 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:48:25 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40750671
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:13:56 AM »

Not that he had any choice, being disqualified from holding office.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »

Hilarious that it all started with Calibri font. Talk about sans Sharif.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »

Not true, Pakistan has a long history of coups.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »

His potential successors may be better. Ideally, I'd like to see a former member of the PPP and current member of the PTI or PML-Q, such as Shah Mehmood Qureshi(PTI).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »

Not true, Pakistan has a long history of coups.

Yeah, but the military intervening to keep Sharif in power would be a very odd twist, to put it mildly.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 11:03:05 PM »

Does nobody besides me care who succeeds Sharif?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:11:10 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2017, 02:13:45 AM by Zioneer »

Does nobody besides me care who succeeds Sharif?
I care, I just have about the same amount of knowledge of Pakistani politics as I have knowledge of living on Venus. None.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 05:09:34 AM »

I'm not sure if I can size up Shehbaz Sharif yet.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2017, 01:57:25 PM by پیکچو »

His potential successors may be better. Ideally, I'd like to see a former member of the PPP and current member of the PTI or PML-Q, such as Shah Mehmood Qureshi(PTI).

Is there really any reason to think that they'd be any better, especially considering the history of the country and its political leadership? Not that I know much, if anything about Pakistani politics and potential successors, but some quick searches seem to indicate that PTI is an Imran Khan personality cult, the PML-Q is a militarist party with no saving graces other than hating Nawaz Sharif, and the PPP is just corruption running relying on a rural Sindhi vote bank.

Basically, every option sucks, and the only worthwhile preference imo is 'not a coup' (and that being said, the military is more powerful than the civilian government anyway).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »

Is there really any reason to think that they'd be any better, especially considering the history of the country and its political leadership? Not that I know much, if anything about Pakistani politics and potential successors, but some quick searches seem to indicate that PTI is an Imran Khan personality cult, the PML-Q is a militarist party with no saving graces other than hating Nawaz Sharif, and the PPP is just corruption running relying on a rural Sindhi vote bank.

Basically, every option sucks, and the only worthwhile preference imo is 'not the military'.

Unfortunately, pro-militarism and "personality cults" are the best option in a country like Pakistan.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »

Basically, every option sucks, and the only worthwhile preference imo is 'not the military'.

Unfortunately, pro-militarism and "personality cults" are the best option in a country like Pakistan.

I struggle to see how either represents a better option than Nawaz Sharif? I mean, I guess I can see the appeal in Imran Khan for not being dynastic, but it's more likely than not he's going to be incompetent and corrupt, and PTE's done an unexceptional job in the one province they do govern. Beyond that, I can't see which will cause Pakistan's civic institutions to erode the fastest a better option compared to any of the mainstream parties (which tbf will do the same thing, but I get the impression they like elections and democracy a little bit more?)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »

Imran bhai's appeal is not merely that he's not a dynastic politician - he is Pakistan's most beloved hero who delivered them the Cricket World Cup in 1992 and set up the biggest cancer hospital in the country.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 04:51:51 PM »

I think Imran Khan has every chance of being a disaster owned by the military (indeed Sharif's only saving grace is that he's always at loggerheads with the military dipsticks - the military is basically the key reason Pakistan has been a basketcase for decades now), but tbh if I was Pakistani I would probably cheerlead for him over the Sharif-fest in PML (N) and the mini-Bhutto that runs PPP at the moment. Also, why the hell are talking about PML (Q)? Aren't they basically dead at this point?

By the way, did anybody take notice of the crazy infighting in MQM (i.e. Possibly the most criminall of all Pakistani parties) earlier this year?
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 06:49:02 PM »

Fujimori disagrees
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »

Isn't Khan basically in bed with Islamists at this point?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies