US Detects North Korea Missile Launch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:08:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US Detects North Korea Missile Launch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: US Detects North Korea Missile Launch  (Read 1256 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »

Yawn.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »

Shoot the next one down with THAAD, BMD, and if it means war, so be it. Kim's games are getting old and if it landed inside Japan's EEZ, expect hell from the Japanese diplomatic side of things.

We are only prolonging the inevitable now. And before Atlas jumps my sh*t for saying what needs to be said, know that I would be recalled into it so no need to do the neo-con chickenhawk!! bit.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »

Shoot the next one down with THAAD, BMD, and if it means war, so be it. Kim's games are getting old and if it landed inside Japan's EEZ, expect hell from the Japanese diplomatic side of things.

We are only prolonging the inevitable now. And before Atlas jumps my sh*t for saying what needs to be said, know that I would be recalled into it so no need to do the neo-con chickenhawk!! bit.

I keep forgetting that war is always the answer to every problem the world has ever faced, especially war with a nuclear power /s
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »

SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »

I keep forgetting that war is always the answer to every problem the world has ever faced, especially war with a nuclear power /s

War should only be the option of last resort and diplomacy should always be first but this is NK and a highly unstable Kim at the helm. We could take out his nukes if we needed to, the main concern would be Seoul, SOF, see my responses in other threads on NK on this.

The NK situation is like a raging fire next to a gas tank, sooner or later it will explode.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »

S.

War should only be the option of last resort and diplomacy should always be first but this is NK and a highly unstable Kim at the helm. We could take out his nukes if we needed to, the main concern would be Seoul, SOF, see my responses in other threads on NK on this.

The NK situation is like a raging fire next to a gas tank, sooner or later it will explode.

This is the problem with the US. You know why your reputation is suffering abroad? Because you're such a bellicose nation that's always looking for a war.

And the example of a fire near a gas tank is a stupid one too. You're advocating for blowing up the gas tank now. Those who are a little more sane are advocating for dousing the fire.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »

S.

This is the problem with the US. You know why your reputation is suffering abroad? Because you're such a bellicose nation that's always looking for a war.

And the example of a fire near a gas tank is a stupid one too. You're advocating for blowing up the gas tank now. Those who are a little more sane are advocating for dousing the fire.

Well let's let the fire burn then. Btw, the range to hit Australia is shorter than going across the Pacific. Kim has said he would hit Australia, Japan, other US allied nations in the past so let's just cross our fingers.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »

Here ya go GoTfan http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-22/north-korea-accuses-australia-of-blindly-following-the-us/8464252
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »

Australia operates offshore detention camps and follows the US into every war. Its reputation abroad is no better than the US in countries where the US is disliked.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »

You could have said the same thing about war with the Soviet Union during the Berlin Crisis, during the Korean War and countless other moments. But the Cold War (which we won) is over, and no nuclear weapons have been used in war since Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There is no need to be hasty on creating megadeaths.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2017, 11:11:55 AM by VirginiaModerate »

You could have said the same thing about war with the Soviet Union during the Berlin Crisis, during the Korean War and countless other moments. But the Cold War (which we won) is over, and no nuclear weapons have been used in war since Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There is no need to be hasty on creating megadeaths.

THAAD and/or BMD are conventional to take down his missiles. Any nuclear response would be done by NK and not by the US.

Also understand that the Russians were a moderate, rational actor when it came to big plays. NK is not a rational actor so the fear that they would do a strike is real and indeed warranted.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »

Yeah, I don't think provoking Kim would do any good. However, we are in an awkward spot. Killing Kim would lead to turmoil and possibly result in a war-hawk general or someone much more hardline and taking power with the goal of going to war. Right now, Kim is just a loose cannon, but if we let them develop nuclear weapons, who's to say they won't use them?

We just need to find the right solution that will lead to less turmoil than the others.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »

The crazy fat kid likes to launch big missiles to make up for his tiny penis size it seems........ugh.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »

Yeah, I don't think provoking Kim would do any good. However, we are in an awkward spot. Killing Kim would lead to turmoil and possibly result in a war-hawk general or someone much more hardline and taking power with the goal of going to war. Right now, Kim is just a loose cannon, but if we let them develop nuclear weapons, who's to say they won't use them?

We just need to find the right solution that will lead to less turmoil than the others.

They already have ~30 or so and have threatened to use them. The only thing stopping that is that they need to master the warhead tech. Here's a timeline for Australia (next year) http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/north-korea-able-to-launch-nuclear-strike-on-australia-as-early-as-2018/news-story/6602ff2c8575b1cd5d7c8dcb93577096
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »

They won't use them. While nothing is impossible, to think they would use them is a deep misunderstanding of North Korea's role in the region and China's motivations.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »

They won't use them. While nothing is impossible, to think they would use them is a deep misunderstanding of North Korea's role in the region and China's motivations.

Do you trust DPRK to be a rational state actor? Yes or no?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 11:21:51 AM »

Totally unprecedented!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »

We have watches, they have time.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »

They already have ~30 or so and have threatened to use them. The only thing stopping that is that they need to master the warhead tech. Here's a timeline for Australia (next year) http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/north-korea-able-to-launch-nuclear-strike-on-australia-as-early-as-2018/news-story/6602ff2c8575b1cd5d7c8dcb93577096
Oop sorry that's what i meant
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 11:24:15 AM »

Answer the question, yes or no.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »

There are plenty of options besides war. Beefing up missile defense and conventional defense, a serious attempt to get Russia and China to tighten the screws, dismantling North Korea's network of overseas contacts and suppliers, and so on. Also, opening direct talks without preconditions is always an option, that I know gets dismissed, but it is there.

At the end of the day, it's clear North Korea sees its weapons program as a means of self-preservation, not launching strikes which would result in their own swift destruction. If Kim Jong Un wanted to kill himself, he could do it at any time. If he wanted to use his weapons, he could do so at any time, as well. He's not suicidal.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »

That is answering the question. We cannot discuss countries in that part of the world in the same way that we discuss countries like Iran or Russia. Their thoughts and behaviors do not translate into our "language" of politics and diplomacy.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »

That is answering the question. We cannot discuss countries in that part of the world in the same way that we discuss countries like Iran or Russia. Their thoughts and behaviors do not translate into our "language" of politics and diplomacy.

Highly naive and dangerous at best. The only real "language" of IR is realism. NK understands that just perfectly which is why they are pushing their nuclear ICBM program to stay in existence but yet they continue to push out statements that say other countries will "burn in ash and fire yada yada". Rational states don't do that.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »

Highly naive and dangerous at best. The only real "language" of IR is realism. NK understands that just perfectly which is why they are pushing their nuclear ICBM program to stay in existence but yet they continue to push out statements that say other countries will "burn in ash and fire yada yada". Rational states don't do that.

Sure, go ahead and think that. China deals in idealism. It always has, it always will. North Korea is a client state and knows its place.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies