S1: The Modification of the Southern Heritage Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S1: The Modification of the Southern Heritage Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S1: The Modification of the Southern Heritage Act (Statute)  (Read 723 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2017, 04:02:45 PM »
« edited: September 01, 2017, 10:21:18 PM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Sponsor: West_Midlander
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »

I think this is a good bill, esp. considering that the Southern region includes a few former Union states (as well as many former Confederate).
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »

I'm against this bill as well.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »

I will support this bill
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »

Let me express my thoughts on this legislation.
Namely, I think the Southern Heritage Act is a good piece of legislation. i think it helps preserve the past and ensures that shenanigans like we saw in New Orleans and other places aren't repeated. I think it protects one side very well. I'm no fan of treating one side of the Civil War in that fashion. Remembering the past matters. We need to protect all parts of our Southern Heritage, including the unsavory parts. Anything less is rather insulting especially to those whose ancestors fought for the Confederacy, or have family ties someway or another to that side of the conflict.

However, it needs work. Why fly only the Stars and Bars? We need to commemorate and remember the past. The Civil War just didn't involve the Confederacy. Many thousands of Southerns fought for the Union too. Union-supporting Southerners in Eastern Tennessee, Northern Virginia, breakaway West Virginia, Kentucky, and other areas, took up arms and fought in the Union Army. Why not recognize their side of the story as well?

It's important to tell the full story. The fact is that we need to recognize both sides. The Civil War divided the South, divided families, divided siblings. The story of a Union infantrymen from Johnson CIty fighting at Chattanooga and other battles in Middle Tennessee is as Southern as the story of a Virginia cavalrymen fighting under Lee's banner for years till Appomotax. Some of Mary Todd Lincoln's relatives fought and died for the Confederacy, and Robert E. Lee had a pro-Union sister. Our shared heritage is valuable and needs preservation and this is why we should pass this bill.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 11:04:13 PM »

Why fly only the Stars and Bars? We need to commemorate and remember the past. The Civil War just didn't involve the Confederacy.

If you read the version of the bill that was passed, it was tied to Confederate Memorial Day. That's why.

People whose families fought and died for the union don't have to worry as much about their graves being desecrated, or anything that symbolizes their history at risk of being erased.

That's fine that you want to promote unity, but grossly ignoring WHY choosing the Stars and Bars isn't really the way to do it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 11:17:32 PM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

Why fly only the Stars and Bars? We need to commemorate and remember the past. The Civil War just didn't involve the Confederacy.

If you read the version of the bill that was passed, it was tied to Confederate Memorial Day. That's why.

People whose families fought and died for the union don't have to worry as much about their graves being desecrated, or anything that symbolizes their history at risk of being erased.

That's fine that you want to promote unity, but grossly ignoring WHY choosing the Stars and Bars isn't really the way to do it.
I agree that it's blatantly unfair that people on the Confederate side have greater risk of things important to them being threatened or erased. That's why I specifically told the author of this legislation that I opposed allowing municipalities to remove Confederate monuments for instance - shenanigans like potentially taking down the Lee statue in New Orleans. The parts protecting the Confederate elements of our heritage are unharmed by this bill, and if that wasn't the case I wouldn't be supporting it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »

It should also be noted that the final version of the bill received support from both sides of the aisle (1 ACP + 2 fed +1 labor), with only one delegate voting and voicing against it.

So clearly it wasn't anything too unreasonable or crazy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 11:21:27 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 11:23:00 PM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

It should also be noted that the final version of the bill received support from both sides of the aisle (1 ACP + 2 fed +1 labor), with only one delegate voting and voicing against it.

So clearly it wasn't anything too unreasonable or crazy.
Well, that's I guess more evidence why it's a good piece of legislation; I think this is a common sense improvement of the bill that doesn't dilute its purpose, so it likewise deserves support. I don't know how many delegates support allowing municipalities to take down Confederate memorials (like how New Orleans would likely want to do), but i sure as hell ain't in that group.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:25 PM »

So confederate memorial day is April 26th and Civil War memorial day is May 9th. It shouldnt be difficult to fly the flags on different days, especially as they are only like 2 weeks apart.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »

I'm calling for a final vote. Delegates have 48 hours.
diptheriadan

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »

Aye
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 10:56:28 AM »