Is there any former POTUS, living or dead, who wouldn't be appalled by Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:31:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there any former POTUS, living or dead, who wouldn't be appalled by Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Is there any former POTUS, living or dead, who wouldn't be appalled by Trump?  (Read 2494 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »

?
Higgins
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:05:11 PM »

Nixon wouldn't be appalled, but he'd think Trump was a class A dunce. Nixon respected intellectual curiosity. I think he'd be amazed at Trump's astounding stupidity. But I think at the same time he'd find a kindred spirit in Trump re: the media and establishment politicians.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:26:22 PM »

Andrew Jackson, John Tyler, Theodore Roosevelt, and Richard Nixon would be big fans.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »

Andrew Jackson, John Tyler, Theodore Roosevelt, and Richard Nixon would be big fans.

I somewhat doubt that given where TR ended his political career...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:33:56 PM »

Nixon, Jackson, Pierce and Buchanan would love him. Not sure about Tyler or TR.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »

Even the more-populist Presidents people are listing (Nixon, Jackson, Teddy) would have found Trump's cowardice and subsequent lack of military experience made him grossly unfit for the office, and they would have indeed been appalled, if not enraged, by his treatment of women.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 11:27:07 PM »

Even the more-populist Presidents people are listing (Nixon, Jackson, Teddy) would have found Trump's cowardice and subsequent lack of military experience made him grossly unfit for the office, and they would have indeed been appalled, if not enraged, by his treatment of women.

Jackson would also probably call Trump a pussy for not genociding Muslims and Mexicans.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 11:33:05 PM »

WTH
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 11:35:54 PM »

Nixon wouldn't love him.

Nixon would constantly call him a goddamn soft rich kid whose daughter was married to a goddamned Jew and who didn't know the first f**king thing about his goddamned job and dealt with Congress like a goddamned candy-ass pansy.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 11:45:03 PM »

I don't follow this one.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 11:51:12 PM »

Maybe because he was so at odds with his own party.
Higgins
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 01:16:54 AM »

I don't follow this one.

John Tyler, the guy who betrayed this nation to the Confederacy? I can buy him supporting Trump.
Higgins
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 01:20:15 AM »

I somewhat doubt that given where TR ended his political career...

^^ This.

One also is forgetting that TR was a man who loved knowledge. He is the second most well-read President next to Jefferson. He respected a man who was a fighter. He wouldn't respect Trump's twitter tantrums. He wouldn't respect Trump's almost illiterate way of speaking. He wouldn't respect Trump's avoidance of military service; he would deem it cowardly and un-American. He wouldn't respect Trump belittling our Generals or mocking McCain; he would deem that un-American. He might agree with Trump on matters of national security, but he would otherwise likely hate him. The only area they have any similarity is on immigration. Trump's early 20th century equivalent would be little more than a thuggish Tammany Hall boor.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 01:24:06 AM »

One of the most ridiculous answers I have seen in this forum.

Teddy Roosevelt was possibly one of the most intellectual & well read US President in history. His reading habits are legendary, the man finished 1 book a day before breakfast, something unheard of for politicians globally at any era.

Not just that he was hard left in economics compared to his time & total anti-big business person. He was the trust-buster & he founded the Progressive party with hard left ideas well to the left of both major parties. Infact much of what FDR did in his New Deal when it comes to workers was borrowed/inspired from Teddy Roosevelt.

Teddy would hate Trump.
Higgins
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 01:45:26 AM »

Teddy Roosevelt was possibly one of the most intellectual & well read US President in history. His reading habits are legendary, the man finished 1 book a day before breakfast, something unheard of for politicians globally at any era.

Not just that he was hard left in economics compared to his time & total anti-big business person. He was the trust-buster & he founded the Progressive party with hard left ideas well to the left of both major parties. Infact much of what FDR did in his New Deal when it comes to workers was borrowed/inspired from Teddy Roosevelt.

Teddy would hate Trump.

Also consider he held deep disdain for those who inherited their wealth.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »

Teddy would hate Trump.

Also consider he held deep disdain for those who inherited their wealth.

Yea. Teddy Roosevelt had huge flaws when it comes to military intervention but he was a big government, strong left-leaning in economics, Bigger Central government over states rights, anti-big business, highly intellectual, well-read, progressive leader.

Trump isn't even that interventionist & is soft on Putin & Russia. Teddy Roosevelt has to be on of the most iconic & legendary US President who is totally under-rated. The man was amazing apart from foreign policy !
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 01:58:59 AM »

I think every last one of them would be appalled.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 04:33:11 AM »

Honestly given his authoritarian tendencies (Alien and Sedition Act for example), how dirty the 1800 campaign was, and that he refused to participate in the transfer of power (leaving the capitol in the middle of the night before the inauguration) I can easily see John Adams not having much of a problem with Trump's behavior.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »

Honestly given his authoritarian tendencies (Alien and Sedition Act for example), how dirty the 1800 campaign was, and that he refused to participate in the transfer of power (leaving the capitol in the middle of the night before the inauguration) I can easily see John Adams not having much of a problem with Trump's behavior.

Adams was still an intellectual though. I think you really have to be a bit of a dumb hick to not dislike someone like Trump. You could still view him as a useful idiot, but you wouldn't approve of him as a person.
#StillWithHer
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »

If we're being honest all of the Presidents before Eisenhower would love Trump for being racist and sexist. Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt would actually be supporting Trump's transgender ban.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »

I think ultimately every single one of Trumps predecessors, no matter how left or right wing they were, all had a grasp of the magnitude of the office they were in and carried themselves with a higher degree of professionalism and maturity than Trump does. If you want to make the case for Nixon as the exception thats fine, but I feel that basically everyone besides Trump had respect for the office and the symbolic and practical powers that come along with it. Trump is either too stupid or too immature to care.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »

If we're being honest all of the Presidents before Eisenhower would love Trump for being racist and sexist. Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt would actually be supporting Trump's transgender ban.

That's ludicrous.  While they might very well think there should not be women (or LGBT people) in the military or other positions, and many earlier Presidents would probably not like the modern state of race relations, projecting that into approval for a crude, whining, arrogant and egotistical man-baby failure with the manners of an oaf, the intellect of a pig in rut, and who fled from his own call to military service is a complete contradiction of everything those people were.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »

Just Andy Jackson maybe.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »

Some of them might be okay with some of his policies--as has been said, I have a feeling most of them would be okay with the transgender ban--but all of them would be absolutely appalled by his uninformed blustering. Almost all of them appreciated education and the willingness to learn. Even the less successful presidents were more well-spoken than Mr. Trump and appreciated the importance of words. I studied rhetoric in college, and we studied Mr. Nixon's "Checkers" speech, mostly as an example of a poorly-done speech. The "Checkers" speech is still miles above most of Mr. Trump's speeches.
#StillWithHer
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »

That's ludicrous.  While they might very well think there should not be women (or LGBT people) in the military or other positions, and many earlier Presidents would probably not like the modern state of race relations, projecting that into approval for a crude, whining, arrogant and egotistical man-baby failure with the manners of an oaf, the intellect of a pig in rut, and who fled from his own call to military service is a complete contradiction of everything those people were.

They would still support him politically, these are people who were brought up in a society where women couldn't vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies