North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:00:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78312 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: September 03, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

(source)

So, uh, China?

Does anyone in China believe Trump is actually calling the shots in his administration? Or that he's capable of following through on anything?

I'll also point out that for all Trump's whining that diplomacy doesn't work, he has never actually engaged in any.
Diplomacy is rubbish, only an idiot does not see it after the failure of Obama and Bill

The glorious success of W. Bush's warmongering is evident for all to see!
pikachu
United States

« Reply #501 on: September 03, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »

(source)

So, uh, China?

Does anyone in China believe Trump is actually calling the shots in his administration? Or that he's capable of following through on anything?

I'll also point out that for all Trump's whining that diplomacy doesn't work, he has never actually engaged in any.

If the goal is to denuclearize North Korea, Trump's probably right that diplomacy won't work - there's really way it's in the self-interest of the North Korean regime to give up their nuclear weapons and tbh it's not like they negotiate in good faith anyway. The more pertinent question now is whether we're willing to live with the status quo of North Korea having nuclear weapons which can hit the US. Not that I think Trump has handled this well and I don't have faith in him doing the right thing, but it's not his fault that we're at a point where we're choosing between a very bad situation and an absolutely awful one.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #502 on: September 03, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »

(source)

So, uh, China?

If the goal is to denuclearize North Korea, Trump's probably right that diplomacy won't work - there's really way it's in the self-interest of the North Korean regime to give up their nuclear weapons and tbh it's not like they negotiate in good faith anyway. The more pertinent question now is whether we're willing to live with the status quo of North Korea having nuclear weapons which can hit the US. Not that I think Trump has handled this well and I don't have faith in him doing the right thing, but it's not his fault that we're at a point where we're choosing between a very bad situation and an absolutely awful one.
Kim doesn't want to end up like Saddam Hussein. They will NEVER give up their nukes. Also, we already live under the Chinese, Russian, and Pakistani nuclear threats. We should just isolate that regime, cut all trade, and leave them to rot alone. America will be fine.
seb_pard
« Reply #503 on: September 03, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »

(source)

So, uh, China?

List of countries that trade with North Korea

China
India
Philippines
Taiwan
France
Mozambique
Russia
Brazil
Burkina Faso
Mexico
Germany
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Chile
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #504 on: September 03, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »

War in three months, China intervenes in 6 months,  Armageddon in 9 months.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #505 on: September 03, 2017, 06:37:53 PM »

Maybe, no and no.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #506 on: September 03, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #507 on: September 03, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »

Maybe, no and no.

I've got money on all three. Trump will end the world simply to satiate his own ego.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #508 on: September 04, 2017, 12:35:08 AM »

Also note that Trumpot has just implicitly endorsed the death of civilian control of the military when he referred to Secretary of Defense Mattis and Chief of Staff Kelly as military leaders. Given that Trumpot himself is mostly a (very loud, and obnoxious) figurehead, from a certain perspective we're really seeing the end of civilian government. It's just obscured by how awful the leader of the Republican Party is.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #509 on: September 04, 2017, 04:12:27 AM »

(source)

So, uh, China?

Diplomacy is rubbish, only an idiot does not see it after the failure of Obama and Bill

You should be in the front-line fighting against Kim. I am sure his bravery will help win the war & scare Kim into surrendering.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #510 on: September 04, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »

Maybe, no and no.

I've got money on all three. Trump will end the world simply to satiate his own ego.

But how will you collect if you're right?
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #511 on: September 04, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »

Kind of nervous that the US will order a strike on NK.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #512 on: September 04, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »

We can only go ahead with a strike if South Korea gives us the okay. And if South Korea is in a position to give the okay, than the situation is worse than I thought.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #513 on: September 04, 2017, 05:00:34 PM »

We can only go ahead with a strike if South Korea gives us the okay. And if South Korea is in a position to give the okay, than the situation is worse than I thought.
This. We will only strike if something really is going to happen.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #514 on: September 04, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »

At this point the US-South Korea alliance is not helping anyone. From the South Korean perspective, the US presence is an excuse for North Korea to keep building more weapons, and prevents them from having any talks with North Korea. Further, they fear bearing the brunt of any war started by the US. From the US perspective, we have to take into account casualties in South Korea as well as agree with the South Koreans on military action, or be seen as betraying the alliance. It would be optimal for both parties to split up at this point, and for South Korea to develop its own nukes. The advantage for South Korea is, it leaves them in control of their own destiny, the advantage for the US would be that we get out of the peninsula altogether, the North Korean threat is gone as far as we are concerned, and we no longer have a dog in the fight. The whole reason for the alliance to begin with, was domino theory where Truman thought South Korea falling to communism would mean next Japan, and so on. That concern is ancient history.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #515 on: September 04, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »

The Swiss have offered to mediate discussions

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11917139
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #516 on: September 04, 2017, 06:08:25 PM »

At this point the US-South Korea alliance is not helping anyone. From the South Korean perspective, the US presence is an excuse for North Korea to keep building more weapons, and prevents them from having any talks with North Korea. Further, they fear bearing the brunt of any war started by the US. From the US perspective, we have to take into account casualties in South Korea as well as agree with the South Koreans on military action, or be seen as betraying the alliance. It would be optimal for both parties to split up at this point, and for South Korea to develop its own nukes. The advantage for South Korea is, it leaves them in control of their own destiny, the advantage for the US would be that we get out of the peninsula altogether, the North Korean threat is gone as far as we are concerned, and we no longer have a dog in the fight. The whole reason for the alliance to begin with, was domino theory where Truman thought South Korea falling to communism would mean next Japan, and so on. That concern is ancient history.

I cant even...
pikachu
United States

« Reply #517 on: September 04, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »

(source)

So, uh, China?

Kim doesn't want to end up like Saddam Hussein. They will NEVER give up their nukes. Also, we already live under the Chinese, Russian, and Pakistani nuclear threats. We should just isolate that regime, cut all trade, and leave them to rot alone. America will be fine.

Lol I didn't proofread- meant there's no way in NK's self-interest to let go of nukes. To what Beet's saying, Kim will just find new excuses to build weapons. Even if the US leaves, the fundamental calculus for the regime doesn't change - possession of nukes is the only way to guarantee regime survival in case there's any external or internal threat.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #518 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:28 AM »

Well that's it then. We'll be at war in the morning.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #519 on: September 05, 2017, 04:41:37 AM »

It would be optimal for the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty to be de facto destroyed by the US encouraging its allies to develop nuclear weapons? Are you insane?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #520 on: September 05, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »

Well that's it then. We'll be at war in the morning.

Congrats on the paranoia.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #521 on: September 05, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »

I guess there's not enough news happening today.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #522 on: September 05, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »

That situation could cause a DOW on 9/11...wow
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #523 on: September 05, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2017, 11:40:42 PM by Frodo »

Oh, that is fascinating.

I wonder how we should react if North Korea lobs a nuclear missile at China, instead of Guam or the continental United States.  More importantly, how would China respond?  Would it flood troops into North Korea, and effectively annex it after annihilating the Kim dynasty root and branch?  
pikachu
United States

« Reply #524 on: September 06, 2017, 12:08:26 AM »

Oh, that is fascinating.

I wonder how we should react if North Korea lobs a nuclear missile at China, instead of Guam or the continental United States.  More importantly, how would China respond?  Would it flood troops into North Korea, and effectively annex it after annihilating the Kim dynasty root and branch?  

I think they would invade, but I can't see a scenario where annexation is a plausible long-term solution. With annexation + presumable liberalization of North Korea that comes with that, there's no way that North Koreans will want to live under Chinese rule when they people who are culturally more similar them, who they feel a sense of nationhood with are to the south. On the Chinese side, I find it hard to believe they'll feel enthusiastic to inherit the mess that North Korea is, especially when you how unwilling South Korea is. On a similar note, it's also an open question on how South Korea will feel about China invading territory they technically claim.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies