North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:29:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78340 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: October 27, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »

This is the single most likely sign of war I've seen. Far more ominous than belligerent tweets.

Trump will be in South Korea in a week. I really just think its a show of power.

Anyone think that Kim might choose Trump's visit to make some kind of demonstration (nuke or missile test)?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #676 on: October 27, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »

This is the single most likely sign of war I've seen. Far more ominous than belligerent tweets.

Trump will be in South Korea in a week. I really just think its a show of power.

Anyone think that Kim might choose Trump's visit to make some kind of demonstration (nuke or missile test)?

Absolutely.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #677 on: October 27, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »

Yes.

I also think it would be profoundly dangerous for Trump to visit the DMZ
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #678 on: October 27, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »

So....war is going to happen now?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #679 on: October 27, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »

No...

At least not yet anyway.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #680 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »

I give it 10 days at the earliest, unless they have invented teleportation for the military families and non-essential personnel.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #681 on: October 27, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »

I give it 10 days at the earliest, unless they have invented teleportation for the military families and non-essential personnel.

You cant see it right now but I'm rolling my eyes.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #682 on: October 27, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »

Depends on if the White House babysitters can hide The Football better than they hide cell phones.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #683 on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »

Well that’s just wonderful
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #684 on: October 28, 2017, 07:16:27 AM »

"Chinese geologists have warned North Korea that the consequences could be catastrophic if it conducts another test at the mountainous Punggye-ri nuclear facility, the South China Morning Post reports."

http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-verge-catastrophe-nuclear-test-site-china-warns-695256?utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Would certainly be ironic.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #685 on: October 31, 2017, 07:05:39 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2017, 07:07:39 AM by GoTfan »

Tunnel at Punggye-Ri has collasped; reportedly 200 dead. Also, a lot of worry regarding the radiation that can leak from the site.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/north-korean-nuclear-test-site-tunnel-collapse-reportedly-kills-200-2017-10?r=US&IR=T
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #686 on: October 31, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »

Tunnel at Punggye-Ri has collasped; reportedly 200 dead. Also, a lot of worry regarding the radiation that can leak from the site.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/north-korean-nuclear-test-site-tunnel-collapse-reportedly-kills-200-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

If their test site has become unuseable, would that not provide an additional incentive to conduct the threatened missile-based test over the Pacific somewhere? Should the North Korean government decide it needs a test, I mean.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #687 on: October 31, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »

Report that NK hacked Daewoo Shipbuilding and got warship blueprints https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/31/north-korea-hacked-daewoo-shipbuilding-took-warship-blueprints-south-korea-lawmaker.html

SK needs to up their cyber game in a big way to prevent this. Second strike for SK failing to protect mil docs.

The news about China being mad about this came out before the news about this actual event.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #688 on: October 31, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »

Report that NK hacked Daewoo Shipbuilding and got warship blueprints https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/31/north-korea-hacked-daewoo-shipbuilding-took-warship-blueprints-south-korea-lawmaker.html

SK needs to up their cyber game in a big way to prevent this. Second strike for SK failing to protect mil docs.

NK’s hacking abilities are insane. Call me paranoid, but there’s no way they’re not getting outside help.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #689 on: October 31, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »

Once they learned from Russia and China they really don't need anyone else to keep the training program going.

NK’s hacking abilities are insane. Call me paranoid, but there’s no way they’re not getting outside help.

Likely but they have an entire hacking academy that trains kids up from like age 8 or so. It's like the Spartans but hackers.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #690 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »

Once they learned from Russia and China they really don't need anyone else to keep the training program going.

Likely but they have an entire hacking academy that trains kids up from like age 8 or so. It's like the Spartans but hackers.

That's a nice stereotype but I doubt it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #691 on: October 31, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »

Bear in mind who their patron is, and how good said patron is at the same thing
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #692 on: October 31, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »

Kaspersky?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #693 on: October 31, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »

Neither of these sources claim they are training kids from age 8, or anything close to it. It shouldn't be any surprise that they have hacking agencies, as do all countries with any significant security interests. What is unusual is how an isolated country with a GDP the size of Gabon has, in a few years, developed the ability to hack into central government nerve centers of G20 countries, and ICBM abilities comparable to China and India.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #694 on: October 31, 2017, 06:18:38 PM »

Neither of these sources claim they are training kids from age 8, or anything close to it. It shouldn't be any surprise that they have hacking agencies, as do all countries with any significant security interests. What is unusual is how an isolated country with a GDP the size of Gabon has, in a few years, developed the ability to hack into central government nerve centers of G20 countries, and ICBM abilities comparable to China and India.

"It would be arrogant to assume North Korea doesn’t have the ability. Today, the nation’s brightest youngsters are groomed from age seven or eight to be hackers. First they are drilled in the standard sciences at some of the 290 elite middle schools dotting the country. Then, the top 50 of each year are picked to attend the prestigious Kumsong [High] School, where 60% of the curriculum concerns computers. The most accomplished continue their studies at top colleges."

http://time.com/4781809/ransomware-attack-north-korea-wannacry/

A.k.a., kids learn math and science in Middle School. What is the curriculum in these "290 elite middle schools"? If it's stuff like algebra, it's not much different than many U.S. schools. Again, if an accelerated math curriculum was all it took to design ICBMs and hack into military secrets, countries like Iran would have done it long ago.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #695 on: October 31, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »

"It would be arrogant to assume North Korea doesn’t have the ability. Today, the nation’s brightest youngsters are groomed from age seven or eight to be hackers. First they are drilled in the standard sciences at some of the 290 elite middle schools dotting the country. Then, the top 50 of each year are picked to attend the prestigious Kumsong [High] School, where 60% of the curriculum concerns computers. The most accomplished continue their studies at top colleges."

http://time.com/4781809/ransomware-attack-north-korea-wannacry/

A.k.a., kids learn math and science in Middle School. What is the curriculum in these "290 elite middle schools"? If it's stuff like algebra, it's not much different than many U.S. schools. Again, if an accelerated math curriculum was all it took to design ICBMs and hack into military secrets, countries like Iran would have done it long ago.

Standard sciences so yes, the above would be included. Then it goes on "The Kim Il Military Academy, established in 1986, has a five-year program to train students in software programming, technical reconnaissance and electronic warfare." They train and excel at hacking and have been shown to be proficient on a great power level. It's all in the Time article. Did you read it?

Yes, I did. A five-year program to train students in programming suggests they don't have a Spartan-like program training hackers from age 8... if they did, a five-year program would be useless. This is describing the equivalent for a four-year degree in cybersecurity from any baccalaureate institution. I'm not denying that they have hacking abilities, just that the sophistication of those abilities is unusual for a country so small and ostensibly isolated.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #696 on: October 31, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »

I agree that it is unusual but it is both literally and figuratively their economic and national security bread and butter. They have been at this since the 80s.

Hacking? Actually, they haven't earned significant money from hacking until very recently. Their main sources of revenue have been coal exports and remittances. To keep things in perspective, South Korea spends about $3 billion annually on cybersecurity. To match that, North Korea would have to spend about 19% of its entire 2016 GDP, or about seven-eighths of its entire military budget, on hacking. And South Korea presumably has assistance from the U.S., Japan, and other countries. Which is why more likely than not, they are getting some outside assistance.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #697 on: October 31, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »

That IT security is hard, and that the US government has consistently worked to make online security worse for easier spying has more to do with it. We reap what we sow.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #698 on: October 31, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »

That IT security is hard, and that the US government has consistently worked to make online security worse for easier spying has more to do with it. We reap what we sow.

You can definitely thank the National Insecurity Agency there.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #699 on: November 01, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »

More like the Korean Leopold III.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length