North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:38:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78321 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

On one hand, im somewhat glad Trump is calling Kim Jung-Un's bluff. On the other hand, its Trump, who has proven to be unpredictable and a poor decision maker.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #426 on: August 11, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2017, 02:50:56 PM by Santander »

North Korea only exists because of China. I wish China were more anti-North Korea, but if they were, they would have enforced sanctions against North Korea more harshly a long time ago. Fact is, the Chinese believe if they didn't protect North Korea in event of an attack, they'd be throwing away the hard-won sacrifices they made during the Korean War (1950-53), and the PLA wouldn't find that tolerable.

Thinking China will just walk away from North Korea over sanctions or a few political flames is just pure bourgeois decadence. Most people on Atlas (and for that matter, our Western leaders) cannot even comprehend China's geopolitical motivations.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #427 on: August 11, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

Since January the "Doomsday Clock" is set at two and a half minutes to midnight, which is closest approach to midnight since 1953.

Just a trivia.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #428 on: August 11, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »

I don't believe there will be any deliberate nuclear strike. What (moderately) worries me is the slim possibility of some idiot looking at the radar and thinking he saw something that wasn't really there.

Btw, there are large Russian military excercises taking place in Belarus. Putin must be loving the distraction.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #429 on: August 11, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »

Point Of Order: Does anybody seriously think that ChinaRussia will throw away everything they've built over the past decades to defend North KoreaSerbia? I mean really?

I know they have to suggest as much but if it came down to it I highly doubt they would actually go to war with the USAAustro-Hungarian Empire (thus triggering the instant collapse of their economy) over this issue. I mean c'mon, they aren't anywhere near stupid enough to do that.

It isn't 19501860 anymore. If anything they would back-stab the DPRKSerbs and invade themselves to secure a buffer zone for refugees and humanitarian concerns after the fall.

FIFY.  This is what happens when we stop teaching history.

Has it ever occurred to you that China might see this in a different light? That perhaps they could see it as a chance to deal a body-blow to a weakened and incompetently-led United States, establishing themselves as the rising global power heading into the 21st Century? (And claim to be on the right side of international law while doing it.) That the people making the decisions have imperfect understanding of their opposite numbers, and can just be wrong about what the other players will do and when they will do it?

mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #430 on: August 11, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »

Point Of Order: Does anybody seriously think that ChinaRussia will throw away everything they've built over the past decades to defend North KoreaSerbia? I mean really?

I know they have to suggest as much but if it came down to it I highly doubt they would actually go to war with the USAAustro-Hungarian Empire (thus triggering the instant collapse of their economy) over this issue. I mean c'mon, they aren't anywhere near stupid enough to do that.

It isn't 19501860 anymore. If anything they would back-stab the DPRKSerbs and invade themselves to secure a buffer zone for refugees and humanitarian concerns after the fall.

Has it ever occurred to you that China might see this in a different light? That perhaps they could see it as a chance to deal a body-blow to a weakened and incompetently-led United States, establishing themselves as the rising global power heading into the 21st Century? (And claim to be on the right side of international law while doing it.) That the people making the decisions have imperfect understanding of their opposite numbers, and can just be wrong about what the other players will do and when they will do it?

Prior to WW1 everyone thought WW1 would be a short and decisive war. And the way people looked at war was much different pre-WW1 than now. Everyone agrees that a war between China and the US would be catastrophic and that we should do everything to prevent it, which definitely wasn't the case in the years before WW1.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #431 on: August 11, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2017, 04:08:35 PM by Blue3 »

http://i.imgur.com/c37bk1b.jpg

and

Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #432 on: August 11, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »

Now that's just terrifying
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #433 on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »

Prior to WW1 everyone thought WW1 would be a short and decisive war. And the way people looked at war was much different pre-WW1 than now. Everyone agrees that a war between China and the US would be catastrophic and that we should do everything to prevent it, which definitely wasn't the case in the years before WW1.

Step back and think about what you're saying here. You're arguing that China would never go to war with the US because war between heavily-armed nuclear states in unthinkable, when the casus belli for such a conflict would be the US going to war against a heavily armed nuclear state (even if it is a backwards one). If nothing else, a war against North Korea would practically be begging the Chinese to deniably nuke a couple of navy or army groups  and say the North Koreans did it.

Relying on Everyone Knows in moments of crisis is a great way to end up with disaster.

If the US goes to war with North Korea under the assumption that China couldn't possibly join, we will be making it more attractive for them to weigh in.

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #434 on: August 11, 2017, 05:11:42 PM »

Congress needs to reconvene immediately to pass legislation prohibiting Trump from ordering a first strike without Congressional approval. This seems quite urgent, doesn't it?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #435 on: August 11, 2017, 05:14:14 PM »

Congress needs to reconvene immediately to pass legislation prohibiting Trump from ordering a first strike without Congressional approval. This seems quite urgent, doesn't it?

I've never been on the side of impeachment until now. He's going to get so many Americans killed with his rhetoric, if not outright starting multiple wars on different fronts.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #436 on: August 11, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »

I've never been on the side of impeachment until now. He's going to get so many Americans killed with his rhetoric, if not outright starting multiple wars on different fronts.
I agree, but if he is removed using the 25th amendment that would be quicker, although unlikely since Pence would have to act.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #437 on: August 11, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »

His statement thanking Russia for dismissing US diplomats seems bizarre and could be used as evidence that he is unfit to be POTUS as per the 25th amendment.

It may have only been a sick joke, but who really knows?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »

US Intelligence: North Korea's ICBM Reentry Vehicles Are Likely Good Enough to Hit the Continental US
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #439 on: August 11, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »

Kind of like how US Intelligence concluded Iraq was developing WMDs and Iran would possess a nuclear weapon by 2007?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #440 on: August 11, 2017, 07:44:51 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if we're at war with NK this time next year. That's what the GOP is really about nowadays anyways. It's all they have aside from covert oppression as a political device.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #441 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:22 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2017, 08:10:17 PM by The Saint »

I trust President Trump and the generals around him to protect us from any threats. If we have advanced notice of a NK attack on US land, we should attempt to stop it, preferably by an air strike.

Trump is right in telling North Korea to back off. If intelligence suggests they will attack, that is the only time we should attack first: to defend the homeland. Anything other than that in terms of pre-emotive strike should not happen. And won't happen.

I am strongly against war and hope it does not happen.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #442 on: August 11, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »

His statement thanking Russia for dismissing US diplomats seems bizarre and could be used as evidence that he is unfit to be POTUS as per the 25th amendment.

Did you say the same thing with Bill Clinton?
Bosnia, Haiti, Somalia, Kosovo

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #443 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »

Did you say the same thing with Bill Clinton?
Bosnia, Haiti, Somalia, Kosovo

The Kosovo intervention was illegal under international law. Trump hasn't done anything as bad as that, yet.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #444 on: August 11, 2017, 09:37:41 PM »

Trump just called the governor of Guam... and congratulated him on Guam now being famous. That's what it's always about with Trump, isn't it? Fame and fortune.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #445 on: August 11, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »

ISIS is probably trying to figure out how to make it look like North Korea just attacked Guam.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #446 on: August 11, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »

Trump just called the governor of Guam... and congratulated him on Guam now being famous. That's what it's always about with Trump, isn't it? Fame and fortune.
He also said he was 1000% with Guam but whatever.

The governor also thanked Trump and was happy with him as president.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #447 on: August 11, 2017, 10:42:26 PM »

Just remember who we're dealing with here folks:

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #448 on: August 11, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »

I'm certain that wasn't because Trump is the sort of petty tyrant who would pay back anything but utter sycophancy by taking it out on the people of Guam.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #449 on: August 11, 2017, 10:58:39 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2017, 11:43:25 PM by The Saint »

I'm certain that wasn't because Trump is the sort of petty tyrant who would pay back anything but utter sycophancy by taking it out on the people of Guam.
Well then good thing it was just a governor thanking a president for standing with Guam. So you're right--it wasn't because trump is some "tyrant" or anything else
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies