Portland may hit 108-110 degrees next week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:36:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Portland may hit 108-110 degrees next week
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Portland may hit 108-110 degrees next week  (Read 818 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:17:30 AM »

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USOR0275:1:US

My god this has never happened before, and I hope this is not true as Portland all time record high is 107 and we may face two days above that.  Residents of Portland are not used to this weather like people in the Sunbelt are , so for us temperatures that high is absolutely terrible.

I hope all the posters living in Portland or in Oregon next week stay cool and dont have to go outside during the day.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:31:21 AM »

Hey, it's terrible for us too, pal. Tongue

Fortunately, I've escaped the brunt of the heat wave because I live in a very temperate coastal area.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »

Hey, it's terrible for us too, pal. Tongue

Fortunately, I've escaped the brunt of the heat wave because I live in a very temperate coastal area.

the coasts may 90+ in Oregon Wednesday and Thursday .
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 01:44:45 AM »

There's also a heatwave here in the next days ...

Not so much in the Alpine West (35°C), but more around the Vienna area in the East.

Temps could break 40°C there, or 105°F, tomorrow and on Wed.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:49:23 AM »

My god this has never happened before, and I hope this is not true as Portland all time record high is 107 and we may face two days above that.  Residents of Portland are not used to this weather like people in the Sunbelt are , so for us temperatures that high is absolutely terrible.

I hope all the posters living in Portland or in Oregon next week stay cool and dont have to go outside during the day.

Yeah--- not good. Most of us out here don't have AC, unlike when I lived in Texas, where just about everyone did out by Houston....
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:08:15 AM »

Yeah--- not good. Most of us out here don't have AC, unlike when I lived in Texas, where just about everyone did out by Houston....

I thankfully do have an AC but the weather sure cancels any plans we had to go out Wednesday /Thursday with our friends.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 02:27:22 AM »

It's a dry heat though, right? And you do have AC?

The heat of the summer is part of why I love Sacramento so much. It's going to be 105ºF on Tuesday, but the low will be 65ºF. There aren't many areas of the country that get that hot and drop that low overnight. At least it's comfortable sleeping. I can take that kind of dry heat far easier than say 85ºF with humidity. I have no tolerance for humidity at all.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:28:11 AM »

We Australians feel for you, we know what It's like, and it's not good at all.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 02:32:13 AM »

Could this create forest fires in rural OR?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 02:35:29 AM »

This is why I live in the rolling hills of Western Massachusetts. Summers rarely get above 100 (I can remember twice in the last twenty years when it was 100%, undeniably above 100 for more than a few minutes) and the mountains/hills provide good buffers from most severe weather systems.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

It's not going to be good in the Pacific Northwest at all. In Seattle, only 31% of the population and a mere 18.2% of renters have A/C in their home, yet the temperature could reach 100. I'm sure not too many more in Portland have A/C either. That could have deadly consequences for the most vulnerable. The only silver lining is that the humidity levels will be very low and nighttime temperatures will be below 70.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »

It's a dry heat though, right? And you do have AC?

The heat of the summer is part of why I love Sacramento so much. It's going to be 105ºF on Tuesday, but the low will be 65ºF. There aren't many areas of the country that get that hot and drop that low overnight. At least it's comfortable sleeping. I can take that kind of dry heat far easier than say 85ºF with humidity. I have no tolerance for humidity at all.

Yes it is dry heat ,and I thankfully do have an A/C as the home I live in wasn't made that too long ago , so it has an A/C.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »

It's not going to be good in the Pacific Northwest at all. In Seattle, only 31% of the population and a mere 18.2% of renters have A/C in their home, yet the temperature could reach 100. I'm sure not too many more in Portland have A/C either. That could have deadly consequences for the most vulnerable. The only silver lining is that the humidity levels will be very low and nighttime temperatures will be below 70.

In Portland most of the homes I believe made after 2000 do have an A/C,but the ones built before that usually don't .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »

Yes it possibly could .
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »

I'm more interested in the temperature and weather in 3 weeks. Hot will be ok if it comes with clear skies.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 11:55:08 AM »

I'm more interested in the temperature and weather in 3 weeks. Hot will be ok if it comes with clear skies.

You coming out here for the eclipse?

If so, what part of the state, if you don't mind my asking?

BTW: Usually in the Willamette Valley, when we have a heat wave (> 100 degrees) it typically will only run 3-4 days, maybe as long as a week (But rare) and then reset because of moisture coming off the Pacific Ocean.... so expect it will be fine for your visit (If that is in fact the case). Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »

BTW: Usually in the Willamette Valley, when we have a heat wave (> 100 degrees) it typically will only run 3-4 days, maybe as long as a week (But rare) and then reset because of moisture coming off the Pacific Ocean.... so expect it will be fine for your visit (If that is in fact the case). Smiley

My plan is to view it in Weiser ID across the river from OR. However, if there are clouds I may shoot into OR if that offers better viewing. I do have scientific acquaintances who will be watching from Salem OR. I expect Weiser to be hot, but it has one of the lowest probabilities of clouds anywhere along the path.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »

My plan is to view it in Weiser ID across the river from OR. However, if there are clouds I may shoot into OR if that offers better viewing. I do have scientific acquaintances who will be watching from Salem OR. I expect Weiser to be hot, but it has one of the lowest probabilities of clouds anywhere along the path.

Bummer--- you aren't going to be anywhere close to where I live... Sad

That part of Eastern Oregon/ SW Idaho is used to 100+ Degree weather in the Summer, so most likely you'll have some type of AC in your hotel, although granted Weiser, Idaho isn't a major tourist destination, so IDK.... Wink

I'm a 30 minute drive South from Salem, so if you were going to be in the 'hood would suggest maybe meeting up and grabbing a Beer or cup of coffee and talk political geography, 2020 redistricting and all that great stuff, so maybe next time! Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 03:30:36 AM »

Purely a coincidence, but I'll be leaving Portland the day of the eclipse. The plan was to head back to Vancouver right away, but I might just convince the boyfriend to let us venture a bit further south for the full show. What's the local time of the event?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »

Don't forget to drink enough water.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »

Vienna and the area surrounding it are at 100 right now, might hit 105 in the next hours.

It will likely be a bit hotter in the next days and 90+ is projected for at least the next week.

Here in the higher Alpine area it has 35°C (=98°F) right now.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »

Purely a coincidence, but I'll be leaving Portland the day of the eclipse. The plan was to head back to Vancouver right away, but I might just convince the boyfriend to let us venture a bit further south for the full show. What's the local time of the event?

At the OR State Capitol totality lasts from 10:17:20 to 10:19:15 am PDT. The partial eclipse begins at 9:05 am. I can look up totality at other places if you need them. For example at Weiser ID HS (where I expect to be) totality is from 11:25:17 to 11:27:23 am MDT. Notice that starts at 10:25 PDT as the Moon's shadow only takes 8 min to cross OR from Salem to Weiser.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:50 AM »

101°F right now (38.4°C) and sweating like a dog:

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »

Nasty temperatures almost in the entire north. Wisconsin has cooled down quite a bit though Smiley. Highest temps are in the high 70s for the next week and a half.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »

...Well great, that means the inner Bay will hit 80 at some point...ugh!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies