Why was Carter unable to work with Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:50:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why was Carter unable to work with Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was Carter unable to work with Congress?  (Read 493 times)
Higgins
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »

I have read that Carter was almost as inept as Trump is with getting any of his agenda passed, and that he had a very hostile relationship with Congress. I have also read Democrats had buyers' remorse as early as the fall of 1977. Is any of this true? If so, why was he so unable?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 12:25:19 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2017, 02:04:30 AM by Adam T »

Certainly don't know everything about this, but he brought in outsiders to his Presidential Office who knew nothing of the Congressional legislative process and he was uninterested in developing a relationship with House Speaker Tip O'Neill.  

I'm less certain of this, but, despite the revisionist history of Carter as some far left liberal, he was probably easily the most conservative Democrat since before FDR and the new guard New Deal Democrats who were elected as a result of Watergate in 1974 and the traditional New Deal Democrats who were around before them, were disappointed that Carter wasn't interested in helping them pass much of their agenda.

Edit to add: This article goes into more detail and backs up most of what I wrote.  I'd say it's a genuinely fair and balanced article.  (It's a shame that Fox 'News' turned the phrase 'fair and balanced' into a joke)

https://carterthepeanutfarmer.wordpress.com/anti-carter/relationship-with-congress/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies