August 21st, American Solar Eclipse, will you be watching?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:53:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  August 21st, American Solar Eclipse, will you be watching?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Will you be watching the eclipse?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: August 21st, American Solar Eclipse, will you be watching?  (Read 3548 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »

I was watching in Nashville at the park by the capitol building, and the sun appeared through a hole in a big cloud just as it reached totality. Amazing experience.

Most of Nashville was clear, but there was that one big cloud near downtown.  I was west of downtown, so I had no issues.  At the Sounds' stadium, 10,000 people missed over half of totality before it finally moved away just in time.  Unfortunately, for the people downtown on Lower Broadway, they missed totality entirely.  Here, I didn't miss any of totality or the parts around it at all!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »

the virgin eclipse viewing

THE CHAD GAZE
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »

This photo made my day. Cheesy
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »

Watched it around 10:20 AM. I don't think I fully realized just how bright it would be but it was certainly worth it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »

The skies were beautifully clear this morning in Weiser, ID. Venus and a few other bright stars were visible during totality. My signature shows the view of Baily's Beads just before totality.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »

The thick cloud cover cleared up just barely enough to see it in the parking lot of a Baptist Church in Fayette, Missouri. Really was an amazing experience.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »

The skies were beautifully clear this morning in Weiser, ID. Venus and a few other bright stars were visible during totality. My signature shows the view of Baily's Beads just before totality.

We saw 100% totality in Albany/Salem area with no cloud cover or massive smoke from various Forest Fires that have been messing with visibility in the Valley these days, other than the usual suspects of Grass Seed farming burns, that tends to hit my rural ag region every Summer...

Photo of totality in my sig below... just a few Miles down the Road from where I live... Smiley

Meanwhile a Minor League Baseball team had record ticket sales for a Non 4th July Ball game, and is now officially on record as the first professional BB game to have ever been delayed on account of a solar eclipse (!!!!)

http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/08/2017_solar_eclipse_totality_wo.html

Meanwhile I-5 is so delayed that it was running 2 1/2 hours to Drive from Salem to Portland, and about 2 Hours 15 Mins to Eugene... Fortunately we didn't run out of gas, bottled water, cell phone service, etc that was expected as a "worst case scenario" for the region to first experience the 100% of totality.

http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/08/epic_traffic_snarks_follow_201.html

So anyways, here are some of the best photos of the Eclipse from Oregon that have recently filtered into the major "State Newspaper"... There a few other sites that had some pretty cool visuals from the Oregon Coast (Depoe Bay, Newport), and some places with awesome shots from Madras area, but it's like finding music videos of big stadium rock shows from well known Hard Rockers, it tends to take a few days to get the best of the best with "amateur videos"....

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/08/the_best_photos_from_oregons_s.html
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2017, 09:01:22 PM »

I took a walk during the eclipse, which here was like a sunset at midday. I could feel it more than I could see it - the sunlight on my skin was weak, which made a pleasant walk.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2017, 11:35:40 PM »

Take days off work, get kid out of school, drive 2.5 hours with car full of family, rent a house and we saw the first 3 minutes through the clouds and about 15 seconds through the clouds maybe a minute before totality.  Everything else was 100% overcast. 

It was still cool, but also disappointing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2017, 07:42:19 AM »

Theory: traffic wasn't as bad as the internet feared because local media sources conned people into believing the partial eclipse was good enough
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »

I saw some of it, but I did not have the proper glasses to view correctly.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »

I had a really great viewing experience in Shaniko, Oregon after driving down early yesterday morning. It was a totally rural area, and you could see the Cascades in the distance, so it made for some pretty spectacular viewing. The corona was really clear, and much bigger and more colorful than I had anticipated.

This was the best picture I got with my phone:

Theory: traffic wasn't as bad as the internet feared because local media sources conned people into believing the partial eclipse was good enough

Traffic was terrible where I was. It took about 5.5 hours to drive down to where I saw the eclipse (which is pretty normal) but about 13 to drive back.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies