WV: Justice rejoining GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV: Justice rejoining GOP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: WV: Justice rejoining GOP  (Read 7895 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »

WV is only simple majority veto override for non-budget bills right? This seems pretty insignificant in terms of actual WV policy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 04:45:05 PM »

He's my favorite Democratic Governor, so he's welcomed back to the fold by me - plus it helps that my entire family until my generation is basically from WV.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »

Political parties: so wonderful, we need to have laws to keep people from deciding to leave.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »

No, it's not. The party and its supporters elect a candidate. Without them, a candidate wouldn't be in office. They ran as a member of that party, deliberately used its resources, and was elected by their constituents with the expectation that they would serve as a member of that party. To switch parties mid-cycle is false advertising and a breach of contract with both the public and the party.

Exactly. The voters elect a CANDIDATE. Not a party.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »

No, it's not. The party and its supporters elect a candidate. Without them, a candidate wouldn't be in office. They ran as a member of that party, deliberately used its resources, and was elected by their constituents with the expectation that they would serve as a member of that party. To switch parties mid-cycle is false advertising and a breach of contract with both the public and the party.

Exactly. The voters elect a CANDIDATE. Not a party.

95%+ of voters in this country go into the voting booth for one specific reason: to elect the candidate representing one particular party. Surely this has become obvious to all over the past few cycles, with the endless parade of crap-kickers and absolutely terrible human beings who have been elected - even in nominally-competitive districts - based on the letter beside their name and nothing else.

Voters don't care about "candidates", and those candidates don't get elected without a party backing them. Candidates are merely an empty vessel elected to do as they're told by the electorate, with the electorate inevitably making its decision based on which letter is branded onto their foreheads.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »

Yeah, from a political standpoint this decision makes little sense IMO. Justice would have been a near lock for reelection and could have won a Senate race in 2020 or 2024. His chances of winning the Republican primary aren't nearly as good, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe he doesn't have a good relationship with the legislature. If Republicans unite behind one strong challenger, I think they could beat him in the primary (and remember, the WV Republican primary electorate is still fairly conservative/less "populist" and less dependent on WV-3).

It will be interesting to see if he governs more from the right from now on.
That's assuming if by 2020 registered Democrats don't re-register as Republicans, while there's a modest shift in the opposite direction in the DC exurbs of the eastern panhandle. Jefferson and Berkeley counties are the fastest growing counties in the state, and these aren't the kinds of voters who generally like Trump. They usually work in the DC area. Meanwhile, coal counties in southern WV are losing population fast.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »

Manchin is the sole Donkey in the state
Cashew
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »

I feel good now for "endorsing" the Green/Mountain Party candidate on the Atlas mock elections thingy.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »

Yeah, from a political standpoint this decision makes little sense IMO. Justice would have been a near lock for reelection and could have won a Senate race in 2020 or 2024. His chances of winning the Republican primary aren't nearly as good, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe he doesn't have a good relationship with the legislature. If Republicans unite behind one strong challenger, I think they could beat him in the primary (and remember, the WV Republican primary electorate is still fairly conservative/less "populist" and less dependent on WV-3).

That's assuming if by 2020 registered Democrats don't re-register as Republicans, while there's a modest shift in the opposite direction in the DC exurbs of the eastern panhandle. Jefferson and Berkeley counties are the fastest growing counties in the state, and these aren't the kinds of voters who generally like Trump. They usually work in the DC area. Meanwhile, coal counties in southern WV are losing population fast.

Yes, but all that matters is how voters are registered, and the DC exurbs are the most Republican(-registered) areas of the state while the coal counties in Southern WV are the most Democratic(-registered) areas of the state.  The DC exurbs are very important to a Republican in GOP primaries, and coal counties are nothing short of essential for a Democrat in the Dem primaries.

It would take a MASSIVE shift in registration to change that even in the next 15 years.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »

Yes, but all that matters is how voters are registered, and the DC exurbs are the most Republican(-registered) areas of the state while the coal counties in Southern WV are the most Democratic(-registered) areas of the state.  The DC exurbs are very important to a Republican in GOP primaries, and coal counties are nothing short of essential for a Democrat in the Dem primaries.

It would take a MASSIVE shift in registration to change that even in the next 15 years.
I know it's unlikely, but that seems to be the way things are heading. It may take decades for this realignment to happen.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »

Shame on that brute.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »

Do you think Justice will endorse Manchin for re-election now?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »

Good riddance!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »

Manchin is the sole Donkey in the state

Wrong. The state treasurer of WV, a statewide elected position, reelected a democrat with the majority of the vote last year. John Perdue (D).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »

I know it's unlikely, but that seems to be the way things are heading. It may take decades for this realignment to happen.

That "realignment" would need to, of course, hold for decades.  I think that's doubtful.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »

I'll also concede this: this is the only time when "cuck" would be an appropriate. WV Dems literally got cuckolded.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »

He's my favorite Democratic Governor, so he's welcomed back to the fold by me - plus it helps that my entire family until my generation is basically from WV.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Thankfully they got out.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2017, 09:54:21 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Democrats like you are why Illinois was practically the only state not on a coast carried by Clinton.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »

“Et tu, Brute?”
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:16 PM »

Democrats like you are why Illinois was practically the only state not on a coast carried by Clinton.

See what I'm up against?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:22 PM »

See what I'm up against?

I mean, I was never a fan of Justice...
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »

"If they didn't wanna be called stupid, they shoulda voted Democrat. Now why won't they vote Democrat? Please vote Democrat..........please?"
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2017, 10:45:59 PM »

Because Dems should cater to the racist fantasies of the voters.  That will definitely go over well with people.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

Because Dems should cater to the racist fantasies of the voters.  That will definitely go over well with people.

They shouldn't be calling entire states stupid either.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »

Oozing intelligence.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies