NY-11 Michael Grimm considering primary challenge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:04:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-11 Michael Grimm considering primary challenge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NY-11 Michael Grimm considering primary challenge  (Read 4141 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »

http://nypost.com/2017/08/02/fraudster-ex-congressman-grimm-wants-his-job-back/

Former Congressman Michael Grimm, who served seven months in prison for tax fraud, has told Republican power brokers in Staten Island that he plans to run for his old seat. However he has to beat incumbent Dan Donovan in the Republican Primary.

Five Democrats are running for the seat (at least according to Wikipedia), including retired boxer Boyd Melson (who lives in Manhattan according to Wikipedia, and is the only person in the race with a wiki profile).

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:20:51 AM »

Interesting. Grimm was a decent congressman before his legal issues took the stage. Not sure which Republican I would back here, but I am weary of a convicted man trying to return to congress.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »

Interesting. Grimm was a decent congressman before his legal issues took the stage. Not sure which Republican I would back here, but I am weary of a convicted man trying to return to congress.
The legal issues alone would make me back Donovan. No convicted former members returning, please.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »

The DCCC should try to recruit Michael McMahon to run here.  I think he could definitely win and he's currently the Richmond County District Attorney, so it's not like this would be an Evan Bayh situation or something.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

The DCCC should try to recruit Michael McMahon to run here.  I think he could definitely win and he's currently the Richmond County District Attorney, so it's not like this would be an Evan Bayh situation or something.

Someone who voted against the ACA is DOA in a blue state Democratic primary now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:51:44 PM »

Someone who voted against the ACA is DOA in a blue state Democratic primary now.

You don't know very much about Staten Island, do you?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »

Well, he was elected District Attorney as a result of negotiations between the shady machines in Staten Island: in exchange of not running for congress, they would let him get this office.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:59:08 PM »

The legal issues alone would make me back Donovan. No convicted former members returning, please.

Normally I'd agree, but Dan Donovan is absolute scum. Also I'm obviously a Democrat.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »

I'd prefer Grimm to Donovan on ideological issues tbh
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 08:03:52 PM »

Well, he was elected District Attorney as a result of negotiations between the shady machines in Staten Island: in exchange of not running for congress, they would let him get this office.

Which tells you the GOP was scared of him running.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2017, 08:08:24 PM by Chief Justice windjammer »

The DCCC should try to recruit Michael McMahon to run here.  I think he could definitely win and he's currently the Richmond County District Attorney, so it's not like this would be an Evan Bayh situation or something.

Which tells you the GOP was scared of him running.
Oh indeed they were lol.

And apparently Donovan has pissed off many Trumpists by voting against Trumpcare
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »

I'd prefer Grimm to Donovan on ideological issues tbh

^ This.

Also, I don't hate Donovan, but his role in the Eric Garner case has long made me uneasy. I am normally very pro-law enforcement, but I didn't like Donovan's decision AT ALL as DA.

Also, I wanted Nicole Malliotakis to take Grimm's seat but the party machine chose Donovan, sadly.

So, again, I'm undecided for now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

Grimm may seek the Conservative line given strong GOP support for Donovan. Molinari's egging him on.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »

The mobbed up, petty grudge-driven and fiefdom-based politics of the SI GOP is always a Wonder to behold
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »

The mobbed up, petty grudge-driven and fiefdom-based politics of the SI GOP is always a Wonder to behold
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »

D+1.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:03 PM »

Um, he knows this likely hands the seat over to the Democrats, right?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »

That could be big if he wins it. The NY conservative party is arguably the strongest NY fusion party. It'd be interesting to see how that unfolded.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 05:17:39 PM »

Probably, and that could suit he and Molinari just fine. Remember the deal they made to make Democrat McMahon DA in exchange for a pass on running for Congress?

And why would sinking a fellow Republican matter enough to so ignore party lines?

Exactly.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »

That could be big if he wins it. The NY conservative party is arguably the strongest NY fusion party. It'd be interesting to see how that unfolded.

It would probably unfold as D+1.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »

It would be wonderful if Grimm got the Conservative line. It would be so grim for Rs, and hopefully another brick that goes towards the goal of a Dem House majority.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 05:23:33 PM »

Original story says he'd run in the GOP primary.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »

It would probably unfold as D+1.

Yeah, maybe but usually the GOP and the conservative candidate are the same person, so some people vote on the conservative line to show the candidate that they want them to support that platform.  Kind of like how some people vote for democrats on the working families line for the same reason. Having a different candidate on the conservative line would test how loyal those voters really are to the conservative party.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »

Why not both?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »

If there was any justice in this world, Dan Donovan would be sharing a cell with him right now.
Why would Grimm have to share with Donovan? He already served out his sentence.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies