Opinion of people who say "the Ukraine"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:51:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of people who say "the Ukraine"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of people who say "the Ukraine"
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Opinion of people who say "the Ukraine"  (Read 2819 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »

Actually it's pretty useful...it lets you identify the Putinbots very easily. Why else use a slur started by Stalin to delegitimize Ukraine's status as an independent nation?

But obvious HP.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »

In the German-speaking countries, everyone says "Die Ukraine" (the Ukraine) or "... in der Ukraine" (in the Ukraine).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 08:38:59 AM »

In the German-speaking countries, everyone says "Die Ukraine" (the Ukraine) or "... in der Ukraine" (in the Ukraine).

Yes, it's proper in German, but not in English. No other country has a "the" in front of it. It was popularized by Stalin to imply that it wasn't a real country, the term literally means "the borderlands", basically the implication is that Ukraine is just a region of Russia. Ukrainians find it HIGHLY offensive, but it's still used by Anglophone Putinbots to this day.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »

Dude...it's a Seinfeld reference. Please. Become cultured
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »

It's slightly funny, akin to consciously using anachronistic names for other countries and regions; Byelorussia, Ruthenia, the Orient, Hibernia, Iberia, Turkistan, Rupert's Land...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »

Wait, I never hear:  In United States today, blah blah blah......it's always "In the United States, or in the U.S."......it's always "the"......so what's "the" problem, Red?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »

Yes, it's proper in German, but not in English. No other country has a "the" in front of it. It was popularized by Stalin to imply that it wasn't a real country, the term literally means "the borderlands", basically the implication is that Ukraine is just a region of Russia. Ukrainians find it HIGHLY offensive, but it's still used by Anglophone Putinbots to this day.

Wrong. Even your own country has a "the" in front of it. You can either use it with or without it.

I don't see the problem with using "the". I often use it myself when writing posts (in German and English).

The only exception is (or are ?) "the Netherlands": I only write Holland, because I'm too lazy to write "the Netherlands" ...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »

Wait, I never hear:  In United States today, blah blah blah......it's always "In the United States, or in the U.S."......it's always "the"......so what's "the" problem, Red?

That's because the United States doesn't really have a name beyond a "description" of the country, the shorthand used is "America" but this is quite inaccurate. Same with "the United Kingdom" or while not a country "the European Union". But no one ever says "the Canada", "the Mexico", "the Germany", "the France", etc.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2017, 09:25:49 AM by Santander »

That's because the United States doesn't really have a name beyond a "description" of the country, the shorthand used is "America" but this is quite inaccurate. Same with "the United Kingdom" or while not a country "the European Union". But no one ever says "the Canada", "the Mexico", "the Germany", "the France", etc.

The Netherlands
The Philippines
(although these are both technically descriptions)
The Gambia

The Congo, more colloquially. That's just off the top of my head.

Of course, I hate people saying "the Ukraine" too, but you are making ludicrous arguments. It's incorrect - that is the right reason.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2017, 09:19:24 AM by Jacobin American »

How about we ditch the name The Ukraine altogether and just go with the more accurate name - Malorus, since it's really just Little Russia. Or maybe Kievan Rus. And you Little Russians should stop trying to steal Gogol, who's Russian, just because you want to pretend like you've contributed something to European literature.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »

How about we ditch the name The Ukraine altogether and just go with the more accurate name - Malorus, since it's really just Little Russia. Or maybe Kievan Rus. And you Little Russians should stop trying to steal Gogol, who's Russian, just because you want to pretend like you've contributed something to European literature.

Ruthenia is the correct answer. Though I will allow for Galicia-Volhinia.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »

Zaporizhia!
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

Indifferent in every way
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »

Zaporizhia!

My memory fails me- is that the race of Cossacks that ran the Hetmanate after 1648?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »

Zaporizhia!

My memory fails me- is that the race of Cossacks that ran the Hetmanate after 1648?

Yep - the Zaporizhian Host.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »

Zaporizhia!

Yep - the Zaporizhian Host.

I knew half-skimming Cold War-era texts on Ukraine from the campus library would do me some good!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »

I'm a FF, so yea.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »

I was honestly unaware of this being an offensive thing. Learn something new every day.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »

I was honestly unaware of this being an offensive thing. Learn something new every day.

Everything is offensive.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »

Everything is offensive.

Only in Trump counties, you see.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:56 AM »

Dude...it's a Seinfeld reference. Please. Become cultured

Preach.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »

I believe the whole Putinist association with "the Ukraine" comes from the tendency in Russian for Russian nationalists to use the phrasing na Ukraine or "on Ukraine" rather than v Ukraine or "in Ukraine" - a discrepancy that comes from the original meaning of the name Ukraine as something akin to "borderlands." Saying you are "in the borderlands" makes it sound like the borderlands are something of an area unto themselves, with their own cities, culture, etc. Saying you are "on the borderlands" (although a odd phrasing in English) would focus on their relation to whatever the central power is, in this case Russia, and imply that Ukraine is essentially just a rural part of a greater Russian sphere.

Although the two phrasings don't have a common origin, "the Ukraine" in the Anglosphere has come to symbolize among immigrants and expats the "on Ukraine" phrasing, and just "Ukraine" the "in Ukraine" phrasing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »

The proposed "Commonwealth of Three Nations" (elevating Ukraine to the same level as Poland and Lithuania) was to be called "Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »

http://www.newsweek.com/why-ukrainians-hate-when-you-say-ukraine-392903
http://amp.timeinc.net/time/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/?source=dam

If you say "the Ukraine" yiu,are a truly vile and bigoted person. Its basically the same as calling Obama "the first *n word* President"
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »

Uh, no. It'd be more like a Saffa who knows nothing about America calling Obama "colored", if you must make such a stupid comparison.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies