Will Zuckerberg run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will Zuckerberg run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: #
He has a >50% chance of running

He has a <50% chance of running

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Will Zuckerberg run?  (Read 1130 times)
This is Eharding, guys
ossoff2028

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »

Simple question. This isn't about whether you'd approve of such a thing, of course. It's about if Zuckerberg has the will and means to run for President in 2020.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »

I think he wants a path to the nomination appear and will run if it does. He's not my preferred candidate right now, but I want to say this: for those who don't want him to run, just defeat him in the primary. But let's not be offended by anyone's mere looking at the 2020 primaries yet. We have this tendency in the left to try to pre-litigate and destroy potential candidates and it's horrible.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »

Facebooks policing of free speech would probably be a liability for him
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure he has to do that in countries like Germany, where hate speech and pro-Nazi speech is illegal.

And that's not even talking about places like Russia.

As for whether he has a path, it's a similar path to Trump, just he has to spend a lot more, and he might have more trouble in the general, especially if Trump is still on the ballot as Trump supporters probably will turn out against a rich Jewish guy like Zuckerberg.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure he has to do that in countries like Germany, where hate speech and pro-Nazi speech is illegal.

As for whether he has a path, it's a similar path to Trump, just he has to spend a lot more, and he might have more trouble in the general, especially if Trump is still on the ballot as Trump supporters probably will turn out against a rich Jewish guy like Zuckerberg.
"turn out against a rich Jewish guy"
Huh
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »

I think he wants a path to the nomination appear and will run if it does. He's not my preferred candidate right now, but I want to say this: for those who don't want him to run, just defeat him in the primary. But let's not be offended by anyone's mere looking at the 2020 primaries yet. We have this tendency in the left to try to pre-litigate and destroy potential candidates and it's horrible.

Basically this.  I think he very much wants to run, and will do so if the path appears.

That being said, I'm still voting a <50% chance for the time being, just because it's the safe bet for now.  In a year we'll have a better idea of how crowded the field will actually end up being and whether there's an opening for him.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »

Turn out against a rich Jewish guy? Idk I don't think Jared and Ivanka depress turnout. And hating on the Jews seems to be a big thing on the left now with the anti-Israel rhetoric and pro-Islam tendencies
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 06:26:54 PM »

Turn out against a rich Jewish guy? Idk I don't think Jared and Ivanka depress turnout. And hating on the Jews seems to be a big thing on the left now with the anti-Israel rhetoric and pro-Islam tendencies

It's a thing on the left fringe and the right fringe...just look at the use of Pepe the Frog.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »

It's definitely there on the Left, though it manifests itself around Israel, not religion. The GOP is a religious/theocratic party with an anti-non-Christian Evangelical base.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »

>50%
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »

He's going to run, and he's going to win!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 12:22:57 AM »

You folks who think he's more than 50% likely to run....how many other candidate are you putting in that category?  10?  More than 10?  Because I'd really have to reach to put Zuckerberg up that high.  I don't think he's as likely to run as either Iger or Schultz, for example, both of whom dodge the question when asked about presidential ambitions, and both of whom have some background reporting from sources in their orbit who tell the press that they're open to running.  I need something like that in order to take seriously the notion that a non-politician is considering a run, and the closest from Zuckerberg on that score that I've seen is this:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/will-mark-zuckerberg-be-our-next-president

which actually suggests that Zuck 2024 is more likely than Zuck 2020.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »

You folks who think he's more than 50% likely to run....how many other candidate are you putting in that category?  10?  More than 10?  Because I'd really have to reach to put Zuckerberg up that high.  I don't think he's as likely to run as either Iger or Schultz, for example, both of whom dodge the question when asked about presidential ambitions, and both of whom have some background reporting from sources in their orbit who tell the press that they're open to running.  I need something like that in order to take seriously the notion that a non-politician is considering a run, and the closest from Zuckerberg on that score that I've seen is this:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/will-mark-zuckerberg-be-our-next-president

which actually suggests that Zuck 2024 is more likely than Zuck 2020.

There is a lot of controversy about Starbucks evading taxes by using some Dutch loopholes (we're the best tax haven Green heart) which would undoubtedly surface if he decides to run for president, and I don't think the Democratic base would appreciate it. Same goes for most other CEO's.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »

If he was more charismatic I'd call him the odds-on favorite.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »

One wonders if publicly renouncing his former atheism is part of this plan, since polls show that voters dislike atheists more than Muslims:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg#Personal_life
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 08:49:24 PM »

I have the feeling he'll run
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 04:20:49 AM »

Why can't a man tour the rust belt, re-find Christianity, and make speeches about America's future without being accused of running for President?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »

Why can't a man tour the rust belt, re-find Christianity Judaism, and make speeches about America's future without being accused of running for President?

FTFY
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 04:31:37 AM »

Why can't a man tour the rust belt, re-find Christianity Judaism, and make speeches about America's future without being accused of running for President?

FTFY

It's very late here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies