Any chance Gore may run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:10:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Any chance Gore may run?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Any chance Gore may run?  (Read 2074 times)
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »

Gore is acting like a candidate.  He's making appearances here and there, getting free publicity, has a new movie out.  He's cutting a higher profile, the kind of profile that leads folks to have that Eureka! moment when thinking of Gore versus the rest of the Democratic field.  He's got the stature of Biden, but he's also attached to a key issue (environment) in the sense Sanders is, and he's won the popular vote once, like Hillary did.  Of the top tier of candidates, Gore seems to have the plusses without too many of the minuses.  He's well vetted; his liabilities won't be a surprise, but won't render him "under investigation".  I strongly believe that Gore intends to run, and I believe, only a little less strongly, that he would be the most formidable candidate at this point, all things considered.

You seem to forgotten that he hasn't run for office in almost twenty years. He's going to be very rusty in his return to the political arena.

He'll be running against Donald Trump. The only reason Trump won was because his opponent was Hillary Clinton. Gore doesn't have the twenty years worth of baggage, the scandals, the email thing hanging over his head. Trump only won because Hillary was the weakest candidate fielded since Dukakis. Gore might be rusty, but he's a good salesman, and that's all campaigning is.

Gore will have the luxury of top-level experience, coupled with an extended respite from Beltway America.  He'll be like Nixon in 1968 in a real sense.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »

No.

Gore is the Democratic personification of the past.

The Democrats will want to be running a candidate of the new generation and of the future, not someone who evokes visions of twenty years ago.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »

Gore 2000,2004,2008,2012,2016,2020! President Gore for life.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 08:48:14 PM »

Gore is acting like a candidate.  He's making appearances here and there, getting free publicity, has a new movie out.  He's cutting a higher profile, the kind of profile that leads folks to have that Eureka! moment when thinking of Gore versus the rest of the Democratic field.  He's got the stature of Biden, but he's also attached to a key issue (environment) in the sense Sanders is, and he's won the popular vote once, like Hillary did.  Of the top tier of candidates, Gore seems to have the plusses without too many of the minuses.  He's well vetted; his liabilities won't be a surprise, but won't render him "under investigation".  I strongly believe that Gore intends to run, and I believe, only a little less strongly, that he would be the most formidable candidate at this point, all things considered.

I agree, the current Democratic bench is very weak, if Gore ran he'd be the strongest candidate
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »

No way. If he was going to make a comeback, 2008 was probably the year for that.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 09:38:44 PM »

If a Gore 2020 platform contains both single-payer healthcare and the abolishment of the electoral college (in addition to his trademark environmentalism), the Dems may have a chance at unity.

He's also probably the only candidate who could make "Hindsight is 2020" his slogan and make it work.
Higgins
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »

I agree, the current Democratic bench is very weak, if Gore ran he'd be the strongest candidate

My fellow Democrats seem to gravely underestimate the weakness of the potential candidates. Between Harris, Gabbard, Booker, and the rest there is not a single winner. There are plenty of great VP picks, but no one who could defeat Trump. The only ones I see as capable of beating Trump are Biden, Gore, Cuomo (only if he picks a progressive as VP). I don't see Sanders as winning a general election. I think you'd see a 2008 sized thrashing if Sanders is the nominee, and a 1996 size win for Trump if Harris, Gabbard or any of the rest besides Biden and Gore are.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »

No. If we are going to run an old relic of the past I'd rather it be Biden. Gore can have a cabinet post though.
Higgins
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »

If a Gore 2020 platform contains both single-payer healthcare and the abolishment of the electoral college (in addition to his trademark environmentalism), the Dems may have a chance at unity.

He's also probably the only candidate who could make "Hindsight is 2020" his slogan and make it work.

He shouldn't make such a personalized slogan. Reminds me too much of "I'm With Her". Something like "A Return to Decency" would be better. The Democratic ticket of 2020 needs their equivalent of MAGA - something vague, universal, and empowering.
Higgins
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »

No. If we are going to run an old relic of the past I'd rather it be Biden. Gore can have a cabinet post though.

Yet you'll endorse Sanders who has been in Washington 30 years, has very little legislative accomplishments under his belt, and is older than both Biden and Gore.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »

Yet you'll endorse Sanders who has been in Washington 30 years, has very little legislative accomplishments under his belt, and is older than both Biden and Gore.
?

I have never written a positive post about Bernard Sanders. I dislike him.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 12:42:46 AM »

He shouldn't make such a personalized slogan. Reminds me too much of "I'm With Her". Something like "A Return to Decency" would be better. The Democratic ticket of 2020 needs their equivalent of MAGA - something vague, universal, and empowering.

I don't think we should be recycling 100 year old Republican campaign slogans.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 12:59:03 AM »

Gore would be the most experienced person to run for president since Bush 43. I think he could also try to spin the fact that he hasn't been in politics for 20 years to make himself appear to be an outsider.
Higgins
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 01:04:39 AM »

I don't think we should be recycling 100 year old Republican campaign slogans.

Trump used 30 and 40 year old Republican slogans and phrases, it worked. Beat them at their own game.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 02:56:07 AM »

Too old, doesn't want the job, would get absolutely whacked for everything he said in the 1980s and 1990s, and clearly wants to spend more time with his Money.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 03:07:52 AM »

Al Gore will get some support from the Bernie wing due to his Climate change policies, newfound love for Single payer & a strong stand against Money in politics (it was his bill in Congress). He is a nice guy.

I am worried about his electability in the EC system & the whole NAFTA thing which is still very unpopular in the mid-west. Gore needs to win PA, WI & MI. Trump will play him cancelling TPP thing & will hammer him on NAFTA. Plus a section of the Berniecrats will stay home. Gore can win the PV, but can be flip the mid-west? (& PA, WI & MI are easily winnable for Dems the way Trump is governing) The last thing you want is another PV win & EC loss.
Higgins
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »

Too old, doesn't want the job, would get absolutely whacked for everything he said in the 1980s and 1990s, and clearly wants to spend more time with his Money.

Why do people keep forgetting that Trump is 71? You act like Al Gore is 70 and Trump is 45.
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 05:05:15 PM »

I think I would be pretty supportive of a Gore run in 2020 regardless of age.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »

Why do people keep forgetting that Trump is 71? You act like Al Gore is 70 and Trump is 45.
Because Trump doesn't act like a 71 year old man.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »

Al Gore will get some support from the Bernie wing due to his Climate change policies, newfound love for Single payer & a strong stand against Money in politics (it was his bill in Congress). He is a nice guy.

I am worried about his electability in the EC system & the whole NAFTA thing which is still very unpopular in the mid-west. Gore needs to win PA, WI & MI. Trump will play him cancelling TPP thing & will hammer him on NAFTA. Plus a section of the Berniecrats will stay home. Gore can win the PV, but can be flip the mid-west? (& PA, WI & MI are easily winnable for Dems the way Trump is governing) The last thing you want is another PV win & EC loss.

Agreed, he doesn't arouse undue suspicion from the Bernie wing, and if he picks someone like Sherrod Brown or Tammy Baldwin as VP, he can play both the establishment and progressive crowds and be competitive in the midwest.

However, the concern is the trade agreements like you said, but Gore has shifted notably leftwards since 2000; it wouldn't be hard to play as him coming to a realisation.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

My fellow Democrats seem to gravely underestimate the weakness of the potential candidates. Between Harris, Gabbard, Booker, and the rest there is not a single winner. There are plenty of great VP picks, but no one who could defeat Trump. The only ones I see as capable of beating Trump are Biden, Gore, Cuomo (only if he picks a progressive as VP). I don't see Sanders as winning a general election. I think you'd see a 2008 sized thrashing if Sanders is the nominee, and a 1996 size win for Trump if Harris, Gabbard or any of the rest besides Biden and Gore are.

This
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »

On paper, the "Hindsight is 2020" slogan (which I don't necessarily support) would work for any Democrat trying to make the election a referendum on Trump. With Gore the only difference is it makes the election a referendum on essentially the course of American politics since 2000, something I think liberals would be able to get behind.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »

On paper, the "Hindsight is 2020" slogan (which I don't necessarily support) would work for any Democrat trying to make the election a referendum on Trump. With Gore the only difference is it makes the election a referendum on essentially the course of American politics since 2000, something I think liberals would be able to get behind.

Many of said liberals don't (or won't) even remember that election since it was idk, a generation ago.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:56 PM »

This
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

This

Sherrod Brown could defeat Trump.
If he can get re-elected in 2018, and that's not a sure thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies