CNN: 26 Million Reasons Why Pelosi Isn't Going Anywhere (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:21:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CNN: 26 Million Reasons Why Pelosi Isn't Going Anywhere (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN: 26 Million Reasons Why Pelosi Isn't Going Anywhere  (Read 2367 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« on: August 08, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
« edited: August 08, 2017, 01:12:26 PM by Tintrlvr »

I'm referring to her recent Sunday show interview on Fox with Chris Wallace.

She's 77 and has done her part (and NO, the agenda of the last Democratic congress did not reverse any significant macroeconomic trends that have been the norm from the 1980's to today; ergo that agenda shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath as the Great Society or the New Deal). Her unfavorability rating is near or worse than Donald Trump's and no amount of fundraising can make up for that (and as Kingnapoleon mentioned: there's numerous other Democrats in the House who could do a better job so why is she House Speaker again?)

I'm not aware of that interview.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree with you. First of all, without Nancy Pelosi, I'm almost certain the ACA would not have become law. Secondly, the House during the 2009-2010 session moved some of the most progressive legislation since the Great Society. She passed the EFCA, cap-and-trade, and a far better healthcare form bill through the House. The House healthcare bill was far more expansive, including a public option and a larger Medicaid expansion. And now, the public paradigm has largely shifted to the view that healthcare is now a right. We call it Obamacare, but Pelosi had just as much influence (if not more) in its passage.

But 2009-2010 was eons ago.

She's been moot since the 2014 midterms on getting anything done.

The Republicans have had majorities in the House since 2010. The minority party in the House of Representatives has literally zero power and might as well not exist. I don't know what you expect her to have done since 2010. She has at least generally ensured that no Democrats defect to vote for major Republican legislation, and she was very effective on, e.g., the ACA repeal vote.

People can hate on her all they want, but she is better than Paul Ryan, who never seems to get any criticism. She even gets more hate than Dennis Hastert who is a child molester.

But is she really the best leader Democrats can get?

Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. In any case, no one ever seems to be able to express anything that's better about Tim Ryan or Seth Moulton, just weird insinuating nonsense about Pelosi.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies