Sherrod Brown will NOT run for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:29:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sherrod Brown will NOT run for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sherrod Brown will NOT run for Senate  (Read 2623 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:33:26 PM »

http://www.growohio.org/story/2005/8/17/201241/723

Brown has taken a pass on the U.S. Senate race in 2006. This is what many of us expected with him taking so much time to make a decision. I would have loved to have a Senator Brown in Ohio, as he is excellent on economic issues and truly represents his constituents' best interests.

Next on deck, Tim Ryan. He'll have a decision by Labor Day at the latest.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 07:38:28 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2005, 07:51:47 PM by nickshepDEM »

I think Ryan is a little too young, but hey you never know.  Im beginning to think Hackett is going to run.  How well will he do?  Only time will tell.  I think he'd be a better candidate than most give him credit to be.  He's made inroads in rural Ohio.  He's also pro-gun, which will help because of DeWines recent anti-gun votes.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 07:39:22 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2005, 07:45:03 PM by Scoonie »

Hackett is on deck if Ryan declines.

If we don't get any of those three, we're screwed. But I'm pretty sure we will. I think there's a decent chance that Tim Ryan will run. And I think that Ryan would probably be the strongest candidate. He could go after DeWine on both labor/economic issues, gun rights, and the war.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:13:28 PM »

Yes, it would be nice to see a Democrat who supports the right to keep and bear arms take out DeWine (a real slimebag).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:25:36 PM »

I'd prefer Ryan over either of Ohio's pieces of sh**t.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 09:30:26 PM »

Yes, both the Senators and the Govenor in Ohio sold out the rank and file in the GOP.

Interestly enough, beyond those officials, the Republicans in Ohio probably have a better 'bench' (Congressmen and state legislators than the Democrats).

Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 09:42:54 PM »

Thank god. If we wanted to loose this race, we would have nominated this nutjob.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 09:55:14 PM »

Brown is far from a nutjob. He'd be a helluva Senator.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 09:59:43 PM »

Interestly enough, beyond those officials, the Republicans in Ohio probably have a better 'bench' (Congressmen and state legislators than the Democrats).

The Republicans have dominated state politics in OH for a long time.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 10:40:20 PM »

I'd prefer Ryan over either of Ohio's pieces of sh**t.

Good for you.  I think he'd make a good senator.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 10:40:46 PM »

See Andrew Berger's old signature.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 10:41:57 PM »

Since I have removed it I'll make it easier: It was a picture of Kermit the Frog in the crosshairs of a rifle taken off Brown's website Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 10:44:43 PM »

Since I have removed it I'll make it easier: It was a picture of Kermit the Frog in the crosshairs of a rifle taken off Brown's website Smiley
Where in his site was it? That was so funny! Cheesy
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 11:37:50 PM »

DeWine does rather suck. He also is going to continue sucking in the US Senate well past 2006.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 07:40:44 AM »

Brown  and Ryan would both make exelent senators (Brown would've been better).

P.S. The 2nd amendment refers to a "MILITA CRUCIAL TO THE DEFENSE OF THE NATION"None of us are "anti second amendment, we support gun CONTROL!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 08:12:23 AM »

If Ryan now says he’s not going to run, the I can only assume that the state party is clearing the boards for a Hackett run, despite being to the left of Ryan on social issues Hackett would probably still get the same consideration from the NRA for the simple reason that he’s even more pro-gun than Ryan what more Hackett would have a good chance at winning, though I think Ryan would be the safer choice.

I’d expect Ryan to announce pretty soon that he’ll be entering the race and I can image plenty of money will be going here from the DNC, DeWine is vulnerable but has plenty of cash and the advantage of incumbency… but Ohio is one of the few states where at all levels the momentum seems to be with the Democrats Cheesy
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 08:35:19 AM »

Where do Brown, Hackett, and Ryan differ socially?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 09:28:03 AM »

You really should make an attempt to read the Second Amendment.

Your posting indicates you have no idea of what it actually says.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 12:55:06 PM »

Where do Brown, Hackett, and Ryan differ socially?

Brown’s probably the most liberal candidate the Democrats could have put up and while he would have performed respectably, thanks to DeWine’s unpopularity he would have almost certainly lost by a clear margin.

Brown’s potions on social issues are fairly liberal, his got a 100% life time rating from the NARAL and voted against the partial birth abortion ban and along side this he’s pro-affirmative action, voting no to ending preferential treatment by race in college admissions (May 1998), and is stridently anti-gun.

Brown would also face a lot of criticism in any campaign over his positions on national security, he can boast a SANE rating of 100% (!) with votes against adopting the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission (Oct 2004), $266 billion Defense Appropriations bill. (Jul 1999) and continuing military recruitment on college campuses (Feb 2005). Such a voting record, even in the current climate would scupper any candidate especially when placed along side an F rating from the NRA and a liberal voting record on social issues.

Hence why IMHO, Brown not running is great news.

Ryan is more moderate than Brown with a solid populist record that is to dissimilar to Ted Strickland’s, making a state wide ticket with Strickland for Governor and Ryan for Senate easy to foresee.

Ryan’s record seems very much that of an old fashioned populist. His voting record on gun control have earned him a A rating from the NRA in 2003, and its largely because of his stance on this issue that the NRA are likely to endorse him where he to run against DeWine, rated F by the organisation, next November.

Ryan has racked up a moderate pro-life voting record, voting for the partial birth abortion ban (Oct 2003) and making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime (Feb 2004) amongst other votes which have lead to a 10% rating from the NARAL. On other social issues he’s also voted in a way reflective of his moderate rhetoric.

On Economic issues he veers to the left with votes against both the US-Australia Free Trade Agreement (Jul 2004) and the US-Singapore free trade agreement. (Jul 2003) while also voting to support a rise in the child tax credit (May 2004) and ending the marriage penalty (Apr 2004).

Hackett, because of his short time on the political scene, has fewer defined positions and IMHO his propensity to gaff early on in his campaign could be a risk added to this he’s to the left of Ryan and Strickland especially on social issues. He is however very pro-gun he’s long-time NRA member and holder of a concealed carry permit, the NRA’s endorsement of Schmitt can by and large be put down to the fact that she had a voting record while Hackett was in his first race and had never held any significant elected office, in a state-wide race that could be different.

Hackett strikes me as a Democrat from the same school as Max Baucus, Brian Schweitzer or Dave Freudenthal, very pro-gun, pro-small government and holding a position on social issues which is largely contained within the phrase “its up to the individual”… such Democrats have had a number of successes most prominently Schweitzer’s gubernatorial victory and seem to represent a strain of more libertarian populism that plays well in the west and plains states, where attitudes towards social issues are often more liberal. How Hackett as such a Democrat, running for state-wide office with no experience would fair I don’t know but I think against a weakened but still powerful incumbent like DeWine it would be too big a risk… its like some Democrats desire for Warner to run for the presidency, in the same way that it’s too soon for Warner to run for the highest office it too soon for Hackett to even think about running for Senate.

One possibility that had occurred to me was the idea that Hackett would be a very good pick for Strickland’s running mate where he (as seems very likely) to get the nomination for Governor… Strickland has certainly been almost gushing in his praise of Hackett and what’s more running for lieutenant governor with an experienced figure like Strickland at the top of the ticket would be a far more credible move than riding the wave of his celebrity for a senate run… at least IMHO.

So in the end I think the Ohio Democrats could do a lot worse than a Strickland/ Hackett ticket for Governor/Lt.Gov and Tim Ryan challenging Mike DeWine… that would be a very powerful team indeed.                             
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 01:00:43 PM »

GREAT analysis, Justice Ben. I think you're right on.

From what I've read, people ARE expecting Tim Ryan to run for Senate. You are right that he and Ted Strickland have very similar stances on most issues. I also think you're correct in calling Ryan an old school populist.

And Hackett as Lt. Governor is also a distinct possibility. That would be a dynamite ticket.

Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 01:11:37 PM »

Good job, Ben.  Sounds like Ryan is the way to go for Senate.  At least there's one state that seems to be swinging in our favor.  Maybe Chairman Dean can use Ryan and Hackett as examples for future Democratic candidates for seats in Congress.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 01:15:01 PM »

Maybe Chairman Dean can use Ryan and Hackett as examples for future Democratic candidates for seats in Congress.

Both are straight-talking guys with strong convictions who don't back down to Republican attacks. Those are the types of candidates we need.

Stances on social issues can differ by state, but we need candidates who are populist on economic issues and will talk straight with the voters.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 02:08:54 PM »

Maybe Chairman Dean can use Ryan and Hackett as examples for future Democratic candidates for seats in Congress.

Both are straight-talking guys with strong convictions who don't back down to Republican attacks. Those are the types of candidates we need.

Stances on social issues can differ by state, but we need candidates who are populist on economic issues and will talk straight with the voters.

I seem to be on a roll at the moment, first the idea of Bayh/Obama ticket, then Mike Moore for MS Governor and now Strickland/ Hackett for Gov/lt.Gov Smiley ... what does give me some hope on the last ticket is that Strickland has seemed mighty impressed by Hackett of late, the only question might be, does Hackett want it?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 02:12:41 PM »

I think Hackett is eager to run for Senate or Lt. Governor.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 03:36:58 PM »

I think Hackett is eager to run for Senate or Lt. Governor.

I think he'd find a senate run tough, together with Strickland he'd be perfect for Lt.Gov... but then again its not surprising i'd say that Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies