Sanders single-payer litmus test alarms Dems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:46:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sanders single-payer litmus test alarms Dems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Sanders single-payer litmus test alarms Dems  (Read 4681 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »

Most people aren't ready to give single-payer a chance, and while I want Democrats to push for universal coverage in the long run, this kind of "litmus test" could easily backfire. Democrats of course have to stand up for their principles, but they can't become a purist party and win a majority.

Worked for the GOP with the anti-tax madness in 2010, also in 1980 with the supply-side lust.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »

I don't see why Democrats are so hesistant to just support single-payer wholeheartedly, considering it's a more popular policy than the ACA.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »

I don't see why Democrats are so hesistant to just support single-payer wholeheartedly, considering it's a more popular policy than the ACA.
If it was actually debate and treated seriously, this would dramatically change. Single payer would result in massive tax hikes to every American, which is part of what would kill it.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »

If it was actually debate and treated seriously, this would dramatically change. Single payer would result in massive tax hikes to every American, which is part of what would kill it.

Except it would cost less than the current bureaucratic mess we have now.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »

The party has long since moved away from the days of the Third Way. That's not why they lose.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »

The party has long since moved away from the days of the Third Way. That's not why they lose.

The leadership hasn't. Their still touting the same better deal weaksauce
I'd argue that the party's move away from the center is what hurt them. Definite changes from the days of Clinton landslides to last years election
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »

I hate how the Conyers bill has become apart of this 'litmus test' it is not even a good bill! It has never been scored by the CBO, we have no idea if the taxes could even support the program they want to implement. Maybe Bernie & Co should focus on writing a better bill one they could actually sell to swing voters.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »

I hate how the Conyers bill has become apart of this 'litmus test' it is not even a good bill! It has never been scored by the CBO, we have no idea if the taxes could even support the program they want to implement. Maybe Bernie & Co should focus on writing a better bill one they could actually sell to swing voters.

It seems they have already swung voters in their direction. 60% of Americans have a favorable view of Bernie and i'm pretty sure i saw single-payer polling at 58%, higher than the ACA (The former Heritage Foundation plan). The fact that it alarms Democrats only means one thing....it's about the money.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2017, 09:13:02 PM »

Conyers's bill has the potential to destroy scores of thousands of jobs, if not more, as well as send the fragile health industry and medical system into a state of massive instability.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 09:19:56 PM »

I'd argue that the party's move away from the center is what hurt them. Definite changes from the days of Clinton landslides to last years election

Same thing they said about Reagan in the late 70s..
And no Ted Cruz-type conservative has won the nomination in the 21st century.

Third Way politics are much different than the way the Democrats are now, and litmus tests will only make it worse for the future Party of Bernie.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:13 PM »

Sanders' ego is massive since he lost a presidential primary campaign by 4 million votes, turned into the cheerleader for the person he said was corrupt and shouldn't be president, and has a cult following him that believes everything that comes out of his mouth.

By doing a "litmus test," he's just saying "I'm the greatest, do as I say or get out." A pure egotistic bully tactic.

Third way Clintonism summed up in one pic:

Hillary. Didn't. Lose. Because. She. Was. "Third Way".

She. Lost. Because. She. Was. Perceived. As. Corrupt.

Joe Biden is "third way" and I'm confident he would've defeated Trump in 2016.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »

People that can't win elections scared because surgical spine insertion makes them fear they'll lose elections. News at 10.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »

Sanders' ego is massive since he lost a presidential primary campaign by 4 million votes, turned into the cheerleader for the person he said was corrupt and shouldn't be president, and has a cult following him that believes everything that comes out of his mouth.

By doing a "litmus test," he's just saying "I'm the greatest, do as I say or get out." A pure egotistic bully tactic.

Lol that's not a Presidential election map. Address the point that the Dems have withered away and perished over the oughts and teens.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 09:46:27 PM »

That map is outdated, WV is now a Trifecta.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »

The party has long since moved away from the days of the Third Way Dime Store New Deal. That's not why they lose.

I'd argue that the party's move away from the center is what hurt them. Definite changes from the days of Clinton Eisenhower landslides to last years election

Same thing they said about Reagan in the late 70s..
And no Ted Cruz Huey Long-type conservative liberal has won the nomination in the 21st century. this side of the Cold War

Third Way Nixonian politics are much different than the way the Democrats Republicans are now, and litmus tests will only make it worse for the Party of Bernie Reagan.

Someone could've said this forty years ago after Ford lost.

As 2016 showed, things are clearly on the other way and the overall Overton Window has moved leftwards again as the cry was for more government, not less.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »

Lol that's not a Presidential election map. Address the point that the Dems have withered away and perished over the oughts and teens.
Oh Golly, I'm so stupid I couldn't even see that wasn't a presidential election map!

It's because the Democratic Party has become too keen on pleasing the elite coasts, not middle America. The solution to that is not propping up a super liberal political party; the solution is big tent politics. That's why the Dems have lost so much ground.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:57 AM »

Oh Golly, I'm so stupid I couldn't even see that wasn't a presidential election map!

It's because the Democratic Party has become too keen on pleasing the elite coasts, not middle America. The solution to that is not propping up a super liberal political party; the solution is big tent politics. That's why the Dems have lost so much ground.

Funnily enough I agree. We need a *populist * party, that actually advocates for everyone. One that runs candidates that vaguely resemble the districts where they're from, and advocates popular policies. Popular policies like soaking the rich and single payer.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »

Most people aren't ready to give single-payer a chance, and while I want Democrats to push for universal coverage in the long run, this kind of "litmus test" could easily backfire. Democrats of course have to stand up for their principles, but they can't become a purist party and win a majority.

Worked for the GOP with the anti-tax madness in 2010, also in 1980 with the supply-side lust.

Compare the GOP of 1976 with the GOP of today. I highly doubt the democratic version of that transformation would be any better.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 02:47:21 PM by Virginia »

Have people even read this Politico article before commenting? It is a total hit-piece & a clickbait article. Despite the fact that Sanders even held off endorsement in Nevada on the request of Reid, people are attacking him for introducing Single payer, which most people support by a huge margin, especially the Democratic base.

To call it a litmus test is flat out retarded. He is fighting for his principles & beliefs & he should be applauded. FDR fought for the the same & was much to the left of Sanders & won in every god damn poll, in Middle America & in the so-called Conservative South. On the other hand, you should always encourage primaries if you believe in Democracy.

If the candidate is strong, he will make the case & win it. FDR encouraged primary opponents but Sanders here isn't following that path. He is doing his bit to push a popular & necessary policy. If people could just read the whole damn article before making ridiculous comments.....

*** mod note (8/9/2017): removed insults from first and last paragraphs
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »

Seriously though, there should be no litmus test for democrats outside of a sure vote against Obamacare repeal. If democrats held majorities in both houses of congress than maybe it'd be something to consider but not when every seat is important and damaging incumbents is unhelpful.

It's not something to "maybe consider": leaving even one person uninsured is a moral travesty and, when the time comes, the Democratic Party has a moral duty to implement a universal healthcare system.

A universal healthcare system and single-payer are not synonymous and you know this.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »

Seriously though, there should be no litmus test for democrats outside of a sure vote against Obamacare repeal. If democrats held majorities in both houses of congress than maybe it'd be something to consider but not when every seat is important and damaging incumbents is unhelpful.

It's not something to "maybe consider": leaving even one person uninsured is a moral travesty and, when the time comes, the Democratic Party has a moral duty to implement a universal healthcare system.

A universal healthcare system and single-payer are not synonymous and you know this.

In this US, it is. How will a multi-payer system be constitutionally valid & universal at the same time. It is just not possible. The best case is like Medicare & Medicare Advantage plan.

Single Payer & Single Payer Advantage (With some Private Insurance added for high net income individuals).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »

How dare he! Democrats should stand for NOTHING but the desire to win election. Every principle needs to disposable in case it plays badly in Westchester.

Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »

Funnily enough I agree. We need a *populist * party, that actually advocates for everyone. One that runs candidates that vaguely resemble the districts where they're from, and advocates popular policies. Popular policies like soaking the rich and single payer.
Those are less popular than you think.......

Just look at 2010's House races, a lot of the ground lost was either in the south or in strongly Republican states (ie the Dakotas). They didn't lose because they weren't liberal enough, they lost because voters felt that those Democrats were out of touch with their values.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »

How dare he! Democrats should stand for NOTHING but the desire to win election. Every principle needs to disposable in case it plays badly in Westchester.

In the end, winning elections is the most important part. If progressive issues play badly in West Virginia and North Dakota, then moving towards the center is a matter of survival. When democrats had 60 seats in 2009,  there were at least 17 centrist Democrats by my count.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2017, 02:54:16 PM »

In the end, winning elections is the most important part. If progressive issues play badly in West Virginia and North Dakota, then moving towards the center is a matter of survival. When democrats had 60 seats in 2009,  there were at least 17 centrist Democrats by my count.

Depends on what we need to move to center with. I think the leftwards shift on social issues has probably hurt Democrats a good bit with various white demographics in the midwest/rust belt, and there is no reason economically liberal/culturally conservative Democrats can't win there and possibly in some parts of Appalachia.

Honestly the last thing I want to see is any faction of Democrats justifying a shift to the center on economic issues based on the results of the past few elections. That seems like an excuse for Democrats to satisfy rich donors and special interests, when such a shift is totally unnecessary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies