NH-ARG: Kasich leading Trump, Pence in GOP primary.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:54:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  NH-ARG: Kasich leading Trump, Pence in GOP primary.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NH-ARG: Kasich leading Trump, Pence in GOP primary.  (Read 2614 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »

Kasich 52%
Trump 40%

Kasich 41%
Pence 27%

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/345687-new-hampshire-poll-kasich-leads-trump-among-likely-gop-primary-voters
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:58:14 AM »

This can't possibly be accurate
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:00:46 AM »

Primary inbound
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:04:12 AM »

Kasich 52%
Trump 40%

Likely Republican primary voters in New Hampshire have a 44/53 approval of Trump.

They also tested Pence:

Kasich 41%
Pence 27%

Source
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »

Interesting. I wonder if that could hold up in 2.5 years, although theres no New Hampshire primary that something bizarre doesnt happen in
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »

So easy, ain't it.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »

Huh
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:20:21 AM »

LVs and not adults ± 4%, good poll if accurate. Kasich should go for it. If he doesn't beat Trump, he will tick him off and further split his base for the GE, all good things.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »

Just as a general public service announcement, 538 gave ARG a C+.

I personally still believe the poll is somewhat legit.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27:06 AM »

LVs and not adults ± 4%, good poll if accurate. Kasich should go for it. If he doesn't beat Trump, he will tick him off and further split his base for the GE, all good things.

Based on some of his present actions, I definitely think he's taking a strong look at it.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »

As I put in the other thread, 538 gave this pollster a C+.

I still think this is relatively legit poll.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »

Based on some of his present actions, I definitely think he's taking a strong look at it.
Up until this poll, I thought an independent candidacy would be the way to go for him. Now I'm not so sure
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

Up until this poll, I thought an independent candidacy would be the way to go for him. Now I'm not so sure

He should run against Trump as an R and if he doesn't get it, run as an indy. He has avenues open for both options. NH voters are moderate/libertarian so it will help him against a toxic Trump. Harder in SC but doable in other states, esp. if Trump dips to the 20s.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »

John Kasich running as an Indy defeats his purpose.  People like Kasich and "#NeverTrump Republicans" don't just dislike Trump as a person, they take great issue with the influence he's had on THEIR party, a party they were members of and gave decades of service to before Trump ever joined it.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »

John Kasich running as an Indy defeats his purpose.  People like Kasich and "#NeverTrump Republicans" don't just dislike Trump as a person, they take great issue with the influence he's had on THEIR party, a party they were members of and gave decades of service to before Trump ever joined it.

And yet ignored the trends and economics of modern America that gave way for Trump's win. They have no one to blame but themselves. I have been to a few GOP meetings in years past as a volunteer for campaigns and as a member (albeit short-lived) and I can tell you that they bubble is small and increasingly such. They are ignoring the call for moderation time and time again. Kasich would be in that mold and have the country-club economics (which they need to ditch) so it would be a crossover appeal situation.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »

If it ends up being a Trump vs. Kasich primary, I only see Kasich winning NH out of the four early states. Maybe NV, but considering that that was Trump's strongest, probably not.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »

Even though ARG sucks, I hope this result is enticing enough that it prompts real pollsters to start conducting some 2020 polls of their own.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »

Poll by ARG in New Hampshire, but only of people who say that they intend to vote in the Republican Primary of 2020.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kasich 52 - Trump 40

Republicans 51-42
Undeclared  54-37

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kasich 41 - Pence 27

Republicans 37-30
Undeclared 48-21

New Hampshire is no longer a microcosm of America, but even this electorally-small state in a corner of the US powerfully suggests that Republicans are beginning to recognize that Donald Trump is a huge mistake.

http://americanresearchgroup.com/nhpoll/pres20/

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »

A C+ pollster will still get some things right -- when those things are blatant. A C+ student will get the easy questions right on most quizzes. Maybe not the tough ones, though.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »

And yet ignored the trends and economics of modern America that gave way for Trump's win. They have no one to blame but themselves. I have been to a few GOP meetings in years past as a volunteer for campaigns and as a member (albeit short-lived) and I can tell you that they bubble is small and increasingly such. They are ignoring the call for moderation time and time again. Kasich would be in that mold and have the country-club economics (which they need to ditch) so it would be a crossover appeal situation.

All I was saying is that these people aren't out to get Trump, they want their party to stand for something that isn't "Trumpism," so they're never going to just LEAVE the GOP; they're going to fight for its soul.  You say ditch "country-club economics" (you know who else was accused of economic policies only helping the country club?  Lincoln, Grant, Coolidge, Eisenhower and Reagan ... at a certain point, if you don't like the GOP, don't vote for it), I say fix the messaging.  Trump is still governing largely like a generic Republican.  There is a party for demonizing those who make it in our capitalist economy, and it ain't the GOP.  That doesn't mean only have policies that help the rich, that would be ridiculous; it also doesn't mean become a culturally conservative version of the Democrats.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »

Are you guys seriously believing ARG? They suck as a company.
uti2

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »

Are you guys seriously believing ARG? They suck as a company.

The Pence numbers are more interesting than the Trump numbers.

This poll is worse news for Pence than Trump. The fact that Pence can't even break 30% in the state demonstrates that his base is pretty small there. Obviously, margins can be improved during the course of campaigning, but Pence will have to deal with an inherently smaller level of core support, esp. amongst Moderate Republicans.
uti2

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

There need to be an adjustment to the idea that all Trump voters are inherently also 'Generic R' or Pence voters. Trump consistently won sizable numbers of moderate/liberal republicans.
uti2

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »

All I was saying is that these people aren't out to get Trump, they want their party to stand for something that isn't "Trumpism," so they're never going to just LEAVE the GOP; they're going to fight for its soul.  You say ditch "country-club economics" (you know who else was accused of economic policies only helping the country club?  Lincoln, Grant, Coolidge, Eisenhower and Reagan ... at a certain point, if you don't like the GOP, don't vote for it), I say fix the messaging.  Trump is still governing largely like a generic Republican.  There is a party for demonizing those who make it in our capitalist economy, and it ain't the GOP.  That doesn't mean only have policies that help the rich, that would be ridiculous; it also doesn't mean become a culturally conservative version of the Democrats.

Such 'great messaging' allowed an incumbent Bush who campaigned as a moderate compassionate conservative who expanded medicare to win 2004 by a similar margin as Trump (100k votes in OH), and allowed him to win as a non-incumbent by less than 500 votes in 2000.

Maybe it's not the messaging, but the fluke of Bushism, who barely won despite running as a relative moderate.
uti2

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »

^To add to that train of thought, don't forget that a lot of people initially thought they were getting Bush Sr. part 2 when Bush was elected in 2000.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies