Where should the 2020 conventions be held?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:16:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Where should the 2020 conventions be held?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Where should the 2020 conventions be held?  (Read 2447 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »

?
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2017, 09:06:48 AM by UWS »

Until now, according to Wikipedia, Las Vegas is the only candidate to host the Republican National Convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2020#Potential_convention_sites

For the Democratic National Convention, the candidates are Brimingham (Alabama), Columbus (Ohio), Indianapolis (Indiana), New York City (New York) and St. Louis (Missouri).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2020#Potential_convention_sites_2

I think the 2020 Democratic National Convention should be held in Columbus, which would help the Democrats to win Ohio and to defeat Donald Trump or Mike Pence (if Trump is impeached before the 2020 election) just like the 2016 Republican National Convention may have helped Republicans to win Ohio in 2016. Because we all know that no presidential candidate has ever won the White House without winning Ohio since 1964.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »

It would be funny to see the GOP convention in somewhere like Massachusetts and then the Dem convention in Alabama.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »

I don't think it matters at all, but let's play the game, LOL.

Democrats: Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Louisville
Republicans: Philadelphia, Dallas or Minneapolis
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »

Democrats:

Columbus -- swing state. Missed in 2016.
Indianapolis -- if Obama could win Indiana in 2008....
Birmingham --the Detroit of the South.
St. Louis -- strongly-Democratic city in a tough state for Democrats.
New York City -- allegedly the turf of Donald Trump.

Republicans:

Las Vegas -- infamous as a Den of Iniquity. Heavily-Democratic city, and it would attract lots of protesters who could get there easily with cheap flights from California.  

Republicans would be wiser to pick a place in which there might be fewer protesters -- Tulsa?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »

I like Las Vegas for the RNC. If they feel confident in going big and playing offense instead of just defense then Nevada is the easiest pick up for them. I see NH and MN trending towards the D candidate without Clinton at the top of the ticket and less third party voting.

I would have guessed Minneapolis for the Dems. But if that is not a candidate then Columbus would do. I got a little ahead of myself and floated Phoenix around but that would be better served as a location later in the decade.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »

Democrats:

Pittsburgh, PA
Detroit, MI
Orlando, FL
Phoenix, AZ
Atlanta, GA

I prefer they pick Atlanta because it's a good destination in a increasingly purple state, but also because it's hot and liable to precipitation which will keep the Stein protestors away. Orlando would also be a good choice for those reasons.

Republicans:

Pittsburgh, PA
New York, NY
Las Vegas, NV
Charlotte, NC
Virginia Beach, VA

Any of these would work I guess.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »

Some out of the way destinations:

Sioux Falls, SD
Houston or Dallas, TX
OKC
Kansas City/Overland Park, MO/KS
Pittsburgh, PA
Miami, FL
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:17:23 AM »

Democratic Convention should be in Milwaukee
Republican Convention should be in Atlanta

This makes the most sense, tactically speaking. Play defense in a time of uncertainty. Going for AZ/GA is too risky for Democrats, and holding the Rust Belt may prove to be very difficult for Republicans.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »

Democrats have lost the last two states were the last two conventions were held. Hopefully we can break that losing streak.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »

Obviously does not matter at all, but still....

Republicans: Bangor (ME), Dallas (TX), Pittsburgh (PA), Green Bay (WI), Atlanta (GA)
Democrats: Milwaukee (WI), Minneapolis (MN), Phoenix (AZ), Pittsburgh (PA)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »

I maintain that the best locations are Tampa, Miami, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Saint Paul, or San Francisco.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »

Some of you guys are mentioning cities that are simply too small to provide the kind of infrastructure needed to support a party convention. You can eliminate any metro of fewer than one million people from the discussion. Next, a city has to have a solicited bid that is accepted by the party. So, if a city doesn't bid, then it won't even be in the contest. Can anyone imagine a city like New York, under the leadership of a Democrat like de Blasio (assuming he or a similar liberal figure is Mayor at the time), would place such a bid for the RNC?

I suspect the Democratic convention will be held in a Democratic city in a swing to lean-R states in the Midwest, such as St. Louis, Columbus, Milwaukee, or Pittsburgh. The Republican convention will either seek to symbolize reaching outward by selecting a city in a battleground state or express its focus on its base by choosing a city in a Republican state. I think Las Vegas, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Orlando are likely in the former case, while Oklahoma City, Nashville, and Dallas are likely in the latter.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »

Both should be in McIntire Iowa.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 06:01:32 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2017, 06:08:04 PM by super6646 »

Depends if they want to go on the defence of offence (in no order).

GOP (Offencive strategy): Minneapolis MN, Las Vegas NV, Virginia Beach VA, New York City NY (this last one is very bold, but could help in the NE)

GOP (Defencive strategy): Pittsburg PA, Atlanta GA, Houson TX, Phoenix AZ, Macomb County MI, Jacksonville FL

DNC (Offencive Strategy): Atlanta GA, Charlotee NC, Philadephia PA, Cleveland OH, Dallas TX, Miama FL, Phoenix AZ (this one seems a bit too bold, and I think Arizona would be a better target in 2024).

DNC (Defencive Strategy): Alexandria VA, Minneapolis MN, Denver CO, Seattle WA, Los Angeles CA

If things look bad for Trump in 2020, he should probably go to either Michigan or Pennsylvania. If things look good, Minnesota and Nevada look like ripe targets. DNC should probably go on the offence unless things are very bleak. Atlanta would be a good one, especially with the state trending more democratic each and every cycle.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »

Until now, according to Wikipedia, Las Vegas is the only candidate to host the Republican National Convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2020#Potential_convention_sites

For the Democratic National Convention, the candidates are Brimingham (Alabama), Columbus (Ohio), Indianapolis (Indiana), New York City (New York) and St. Louis (Missouri).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2020#Potential_convention_sites_2

I think the 2020 Democratic National Convention should be held in Columbus, which would help the Democrats to win Ohio and to defeat Donald Trump or Mike Pence (if Trump is impeached before the 2020 election) just like the 2016 Republican National Convention may have helped Republicans to win Ohio in 2016. Because we all know that no presidential candidate has ever won the White House without winning Ohio since 1964.

Columbus seems like a good choice. The rest are silly.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »

GOP (Offencive strategy): Minneapolis MN, Las Vegas NV, Virginia Beach VA, New York City NY (this last one is very bold, but could help in the NE)

GOP (Defencive strategy): Pittsburg PA, Atlanta GA, Houson TX, Phoenix AZ, Macomb County MI, Jacksonville FL

DNC (Offencive Strategy): Atlanta GA, Charlotee NC, Philadephia PA, Cleveland OH, Dallas TX, Miama FL, Phoenix AZ (this one seems a bit too bold, and I think Arizona would be a better target in 2024).

DNC (Defencive Strategy): Alexandria VA, Minneapolis MN, Denver CO, Seattle WA, Los Angeles CA

If things look bad for Trump in 2020, he should probably go to either Michigan or Pennsylvania. If things look good, Minnesota and Nevada look like ripe targets. DNC should probably go on the offence unless things are very bleak. Atlanta would be a good one, especially with the state trending more democratic each and every cycle.
If GA and NC are targets, AZ certainly is.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

If GA and NC are targets, AZ certainly is.

The reason Trump did so poorly in AZ is because he did terrible with white voters. I'm not so sure that'll happen again in 2020.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 06:25:14 PM »

Democrats: Detroit or Atlanta
Republicans: Las Vegas or Pittsburgh
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »

Agree with RINO Tom that it doesn't matter at all, but I guess any city with large enough infrastructure in the Mid-West, FL, or NC would be good fits for both parties.

Columbus, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St Louis, any of the larger MSAs in FL, NC, are all good.  Twin cities and Cleveland we had recently, so maybe something else this time.

I actually kinda like the idea of the RNC in Vegas too, come to think of it.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »

Each party should hold its conventions in cities where it will not be oppressively hot, and where local demonstrators will not be likely to use the convention to stir crap to advance their parochial issues.

Minneapolis, MN (GOP) and Portland, OR (Dem) would be the best choices.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »

Phoenix, Cinncinnati, Milwaukee, Detroit, or Atlanta or Charlotte again for Dems.

Minneapolis or Vegas for the GOP
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 08:00:13 PM »

It doesn't matter at all, but:

Democrats - Phoenix or Atlanta. These are big, diverse cities where increased Dem turnout could flip the respective states they are in.

Republicans - Bangor. Trump obviously performed strongly in this CD, where even a slightly increased movement towards the GOP could have flipped the entire state.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »

Each party should hold its conventions in cities where it will not be oppressively hot, and where local demonstrators will not be likely to use the convention to stir crap to advance their parochial issues.

Minneapolis, MN (GOP)
and Portland, OR (Dem) would be the best choices.

That's not only something everyone here would reply "LOL" to, it sure didn't happen in 2008 in St. Paul.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »

Dems had a pretty bad turnout problem in Detroit and Milwaukee. But Detroit is more devastating because how close MI was so I would say that's where it should be.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies