ME-PPP: Mayhew 44%, Collins 33% in GOP primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:00:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  ME-PPP: Mayhew 44%, Collins 33% in GOP primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ME-PPP: Mayhew 44%, Collins 33% in GOP primary  (Read 2448 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 05:01:25 PM »

I don't have a doubt in my mind that Collins would win in a cakewalk if she ran as an indie.  She'd win a majority of independents, many Dems, and enough Republicans.  It's still an open question whether she's willing to make the jump, though, given her long history with the GOP.

She can just rejoin the GOP after can't she?

Theoretically, yes, but I don't know why she'd bother after that

Why wouldn't she?  Murkowski did.

She'd be a Governor. What difference does it make what party she identifies with? If she ran as an indy, good luck ever winning another Republican primary. Being a Senator is a different matter.

That's a solid point ... I just think Collins would rather make a statement about the GOP than just ditch it like that.
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:19 PM »

Yeah, there really isn't a state full of Republicans who are all against Obamacare repeal. With how fervently Collins opposed all of the McConnell efforts, she might have burned through more moderate support than she was really comfortable burning.

Like, she was (probably changed now) the second most popular Senator in America behind Sanders (who polls in the same realm as Brezhnev polled in the 70s). That's a big change to suddenly getting 33% in a Republican primary.

Similar polling efforts have been seen for favorable ratings for John McCain, who has similarly burned through most of the support he got for this term.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 10:13:42 PM »

She'd probably run as an independent instead, and have a good shot of winning, like Murkowski.

I disagree. Collins is no Angus King.

What on Earth does that have to do with his post?  LOL.

Angus King won because he was well-liked by everyone in the political spectrum (especially Democrats). Republicans will still run a serious candidate against Collins, and Democrats certainly will as well.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 05:55:31 PM »

I still strongly support Susan Collins. GOP Primary voters continue to prove why our party is mocked so much.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »

If Maine had an open primary like California and Louisiana, Collins would likely advance to November.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »

I wonder if Collins's new attention in such a closely divided Senate will finally cost her her juggernaut status in Maine, even at the Senate level.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies