Lott Blames Frist for Downfall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:27:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lott Blames Frist for Downfall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lott Blames Frist for Downfall  (Read 1370 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2005, 09:46:24 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8989917/

Former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott blames his fall from power in 2002 on a “personal betrayal” by an ambitious Sen. Bill Frist, his successor, adding in a new book that President Bush, Colin Powell and other GOP associates played a role.

Frist, R-Tenn., “didn’t even have the courtesy to call and tell me personally that he was going to run,” the Mississippi Republican wrote of a tumultuous period in which he lost his position as Senate leader after making racially tinged remarks.

“If Frist had not announced exactly when he did, as the fire was about to burn out, I would still be majority leader of the Senate today,” Lott said in “Herding Cats, A Life in Politics.”

In the book, Lott described an unusual partnership with President Clinton that worked to the detriment of 1996 GOP presidential nominee Bob Dole; praised former Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota as trustworthy; and recalled that Vice President Gerald R. Ford personally cautioned him “not to go so far out on a limb” in defending President Nixon during the Watergate scandal.

A native of Mississippi, Lott recalled feeling “anger in my heart over the way the federal government had invaded Ole Miss to accomplish something that could have been handled peacefully and administratively,” the admission of the first black student to the University of Mississippi in 1962.

As a law student at the school, Lott wrote, he remembered the visiting professors from Yale, brought in to teach constitutional law. “Instead of making us more liberal, they helped create a generation of thoughtful, issue-oriented conservatives who grew up to run Mississippi politics.”

Lott, first elected to the House in 1972, moved to the Senate in 1988.

He became majority leader in 1996, succeeding Dole when the Kansan quit to campaign full time for the White House.

In the book, Lott wrote he quickly formed an unusual alliance with Clinton. Political consultant Dick Morris was the go-between.

MORE IN ARTICLE
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 10:48:02 PM »

Good for Trent to have been so willing to compromise, I guess.  I don't remember him being that willing to work with Democrats before.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:48:16 PM »

Lott needs to blame himself.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:19:05 PM »

Just curious, but what would to say to the people that put pressure on Lott to leave.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »

I like Lott. He was always a compromiser, which at times was irritating, but he's not spineless and phony like Frist. It's good he's calling that asshole out.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 11:53:06 PM »

I like Lott. He was always a compromiser, which at times was irritating, but he's not spineless and phony like Frist. It's good he's calling that asshole out.

Which "a**hole?"
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:35:06 AM »

Lott didn't do anything wrong at all. He was attacked by the liberal media for some silly comment that wasn't nearly "racist".
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 01:33:36 AM »

Lott didn't do anything wrong at all. He was attacked by the liberal media for some silly comment that wasn't nearly "racist".

Umm saying we would be better off if someone who ran on a Segregationlist platform was President.....
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 02:18:05 AM »

Actually, it was the religious right who called for his head.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 08:08:45 AM »

Actually, there were a lot of people calling for his head, and it wasn't "as the fire was about to burn out," that Frist made his announcement.  At least a sizable minority, if not a majority, of the GOP conference was looking for a way to remove Lott.  Frist just stepped up to bell the cat, as it were.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 08:11:20 AM »

I agree.  Lott was tarred and feathered for a rather harmless comment, especially when you compare it to the crap Byrd says all the time.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 08:12:22 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2005, 12:38:56 PM by Virginian87 »

While I disagree with the whole concept of the "liberal media," I believe that Lott was just trying to complement Thurmond.  He wanted to honor the old guy somehow, and he thought by saying that his state voted for him it would make Thurmond proud.  I don't think he meant anything racist at all.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 10:20:07 AM »

Frist is the a-hole. To add insult to injury of course he's been a terrible leader... surprise.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 10:37:22 AM »

Frist is the a-hole. To add insult to injury of course he's been a terrible leader... surprise.

No surprise there. 

To Republicans who don't like Frist: Who would have been your choice for Senate Majority Leader?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

Lott was bad. Frist is worse.

I don't know who I'd pick, but just about anyone would be better than Frist.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 11:48:03 AM »

While I disagree with the whole concept of the "liberal media," I believe that Lott was just trying to complement Thurmond.  He wanted to honor old guy somehow, and he thought by saying that his state voted for him it would make Thurmond proud.  I don't think he meant anything racist at all.

Yeah, I still can’t believe people would bring him down when he was just trying to say something nice to an old Senator on his birthday!  I hope he becomes the Majority Leader again when Frist leaves just because of all of those people who were so hard on him.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 12:37:05 PM »

i dont like lott.

BUT he was treated unfairly.  he said nothing wrong.

the democrats should be outraged that they have a kkk member who still enjoys throwing around the n word on telelvision in their delegation.

but saying nice things to a 100 year old man at his birthday party is obviously a bigger sin  in the land of the delusional left.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 12:40:59 PM »

I do not consider this to be an appropriate reference to the Democratic Party.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 12:42:28 PM »

He wasn't referring to the Democratic Party. If he was doing that, he would have said communists.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 07:38:09 AM »

The problem I had with Lott was his serial apology.  He represents a state where something like 30% of the people are Black, and it looked like he never met any of them.

Compare him to Judge Pickering, a conservative, but one who did interact with the Black community.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 07:51:46 AM »

Lott made a very stupid comment.  He could have said something nice to Thurmond without saying what he actually said.

On the other hand, others have made similarly offensive comments, on the topic Lott discussed and others, without suffering the repercussions that Lott did.

If Lott should be blaming anybody for his downfall, it's the liberal media, for not publicizing and demanding the head of people like Robert Byrd, Ted Kennedy and Dick Durban when they make outrageous comments.

It also seems that Democrats back up their people who make outrageous comments or do outrageous things, no matter what.  Republicans don't do that, but tend to stand on principle more.  I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing.  Probably a little bit of both.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 08:15:09 AM »

Lott should still blame himself for the downfall, since it was a very stupid thing to say, and if he hadn't said it, he wouldn't have been ousted, so his comment directly led to his downfall. While the comment itself may not be so bad, it's something he should know better than to say.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 08:31:58 AM »

Actually out of the choices in 1948 Thurmond would have been an excellent choice for the presidenc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies