CONFIRMATION HEARING: TimTurner for National Archivist (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:06:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  CONFIRMATION HEARING: TimTurner for National Archivist (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CONFIRMATION HEARING: TimTurner for National Archivist (Confirmed)  (Read 374 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »
« edited: September 16, 2017, 05:20:04 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The floor is now open for questioning.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:10:26 PM »

How often does the nominee intend on updating the Wiki, and what would be his top priorities as National Archivist?  Also, does the nominee intend to coordinate with regional officers?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »

I would generally seek to update it after elections I and changes in who holds which offices I guess.
One thing I would like to do in particular is enlisting ordinary citizens in helping out the wiki, and fostering a culture of responsible wiki editing among Atlasians. If that is done I think a lot of the gaps in the wiki's assortness of information could be filled.
As for coordination, I do intend to coordinate with regional officerholders.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »

I am, admittedly, not a senator; but since I was the president who issued the order creating this position, I'm going to assume that gives me right to ask a question anyways. Tongue

Clearly, this is an enormous job that could potentially encompass any number of sub-projects within the wiki. I wonder if the nominee has an idea as to his priorities — for instance, maintaining the federal statute, updating lists of officeholders, etc.

Secondly, as someone who is broadly suspicious of delegating responsibility to deputies when it comes to administration —

One thing I would like to do in particular is enlisting ordinary citizens in helping out the wiki
Would you mind telling us how this would work, specifically? Do you see yourself as the chief editor directing operations and enforcing quality standards for key pages, or as "first among equals" in what we might call the 'free range' editing school?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:46:20 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 10:52:58 PM by Southern Speaker TimTurner »

I am, admittedly, not a senator; but since I was the president who issued the order creating this position, I'm going to assume that gives me right to ask a question anyways. Tongue

Clearly, this is an enormous job that could potentially encompass any number of sub-projects within the wiki. I wonder if the nominee has an idea as to his priorities — for instance, maintaining the federal statute, updating lists of officeholders, etc.

Secondly, as someone who is broadly suspicious of delegating responsibility to deputies when it comes to administration —

One thing I would like to do in particular is enlisting ordinary citizens in helping out the wiki
Would you mind telling us how this would work, specifically? Do you see yourself as the chief editor directing operations and enforcing quality standards for key pages, or as "first among equals" in what we might call the 'free range' editing school?
I'm not sure to be honest. Certainly I would want some quality standards. I'd expect people to generally follow the lead of elected officials, and me in particular.
There nonetheless does need to be something done about the increasing lag in the wiki - laws being passed but not recorded in wiki pages, et cetera. To name one example of an article error, Fhtagn was listed as Speaker of the Southern Chamber of Delegates in the article about the Southern Region as late as two days ago.
The page about the Federalist Party is even more outdated. The last presidential ticket it lists is Lumine/Sjoyce in October 2014, and Pingvin is listed as an IDS Legislator.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 10:57:23 PM »

Does this mean the wiki will have better maps?

Also back in June I made a proposal to ensure that the Archivist isn't left scrambling to find out what Congress has done.

First off we have the noticeboards, second of all, the links now in the bottom of every Act/Resolution to each chamber's vote. But beyond that it was my recommendation that President when signing a bill and the Vice President when certifying Joint Passage of a Resolution, should then PM the Archivist, extending the Congressional PM chains.

Discuss with maps? 

Acts:
PPT/Speaker>VP>President>Archivist

Resolutions:
PPT/Speaker>VP>Archivist (and Regional authorities if it is a Constitutional Amendment).

Okay not quite a map, but a diagram. PiT once noted how helpful it was to have an inbox full of PMs as it helped to ensure bills from the other chamber got brought up in order and without one being missed.

So basically my question is, would you 1) approve of having you inbox spammed by PiT and Fhtagn and 2) publically state if such communications are not getting through for some reason (like somehow managing to send PM's to a dead account that hasn't been used in 3 yrs Wink)?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »

Does this mean the wiki will have better maps?

Also back in June I made a proposal to ensure that the Archivist isn't left scrambling to find out what Congress has done.

First off we have the noticeboards, second of all, the links now in the bottom of every Act/Resolution to each chamber's vote. But beyond that it was my recommendation that President when signing a bill and the Vice President when certifying Joint Passage of a Resolution, should then PM the Archivist, extending the Congressional PM chains.

Discuss with maps?  

Acts:
PPT/Speaker>VP>President>Archivist

Resolutions:
PPT/Speaker>VP>Archivist (and Regional authorities if it is a Constitutional Amendment).

Okay not quite a map, but a diagram. PiT once noted how helpful it was to have an inbox full of PMs as it helped to ensure bills from the other chamber got brought up in order and without one being missed.

So basically my question is, would you 1) approve of having you inbox spammed by PiT and Fhtagn and 2) publically state if such communications are not getting through for some reason (like somehow managing to send PM's to a dead account that hasn't been used in 3 yrs Wink)?

On what grounds would it make sense for me to refuse to look at my inbox anyway in such circumstances? I can't even think of a good reason.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »

This hearing has been quiet for a few days. I'll give Senators another day to ask questions (since I see only one Senator has done so) and then bring the nominee to a vote.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »

I generally believe we have too many official positions to be filled at the federal level but that's another debate to be had. Since the office of a national archivist exists at this point and I don't have any reservation about the nominee, I will support TimTurner's appointment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »

A final vote is now open on the nominee. Senators have 72 hours to vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

Aye
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »

Aye.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »

The nominee is confirmed by a vote of 4-0.

Be it resolved, X Vice President PiT
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies