Hillary Clinton might go into ministry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:41:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hillary Clinton might go into ministry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton might go into ministry  (Read 3123 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:50:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Relevant Magazine

Cool! Cheesy
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »

Good. Maybe it'll keep her out of politics.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »

It's funny how she was the most religious candidate in the 2016 election yet evangelicals creamed their pants harder than ever for Trump.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:53:49 PM »

It's funny how she was the most religious candidate in the 2016 election yet evangelicals creamed their pants harder than ever for Trump.

Evangelicals are craven hypocrites, which we all knew already.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:02:16 PM »

Frankly, if she'd been doing this before, she probably would have won.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:04:05 PM »

Frankly, if she'd been doing this before, she probably would have won.

That's Reverend Secretary Clinton to you, sir.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 11:13:53 PM »

She was always the more Christian candidate at the core of her self, but the Evangelicals voted for Trump.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »

She lost catholics by a large margin for a democrat, as well.

It wasn't just evangelicals.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »

So, Religious Conservatives chose to vote for the womanizing, lying, gambling man, instead of the woman who wants to become a ordained minister? How's that working out for all of you?
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 11:29:07 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2017, 11:30:51 PM by AN63093 »

Good for her.  After a long, grueling political campaign, there's nothing I'd want more than a break.  It'd probably be good for her to "pull a W Bush" and just leave the scene for a while; do something you enjoy and that relaxes you.  Something to gain life fulfillment in, that's not politics.

Funny you guys mention Trump being the less religious candidate... it got me thinking; despite the evangelicals support for the GOP, how often is the R candidate actually the more religious of the two candidates?  Thinking back on the last 30-40 years.. might actually be less than you think.

W Bush.  Romney.  Is that it?
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:48 PM »

Neither Clinton or Trump qualify as true Christians. At least Trump is willing to help us accomplish our goals. Clinton would never appoint someone like Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Also, if Hillary were such a devout Christian, she would know what the Bible says about female pastors (see 1 Timothy 2:12).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 11:45:20 PM »

Evangelicals are craven hypocrites, which we all knew already.

I go to an evangelical church which has been trashing Trump just about every other week. Up until the election he was constantly bashed too, but not mentioning him by name (just making it very blatantly obvious he was the one being referred to.) After the election even that's been dropped and it seems like as noted in about half of talks there's something about how he or his actions are not of God. One guy even talked about how Jesus could even handle talking to Trump supporters, something that he can not handle and always avoids.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:33 PM »

Neither Clinton or Trump qualify as true Christians. At least Trump is willing to help us accomplish our goals. Clinton would never appoint someone like Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Yeah, why would anyone keep their religious and politicsl beliefs separate?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 11:53:55 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 12:01:07 AM by Beet »

What's infuriating is how so many Evangelicals felt they had to vote for Trump due to abortion. When it's pointed out that the Bible doesn't mention abortion, you are pointed to the Apocrypha. Okay, supposing that is the rejoinder... still, it leaves the fact that out of 750,000 words inspired by God, he felt not the need to mention 'abortion' a single time, so what is God's priority on it? Does anyone really think that when God was writing/inspiring the Bible, he thought to himself, "Well, I've reached 750,000 words, and I really want to include a prohibition on abortion, but one more verse would just be too long."  And that ignores things like the fact that the Biblical punishment for causing a miscarriage is explicitly less than homicide, which would go against the pro-life mantra that a full person is formed at conception. Nor has the Catholic Church's position been consistent; both St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas identified a point after conception as when personhood began. The current Catholic Church's position dates to Pius IX, who was reportedly under pressure from Napoleon III to increase France's birth rate due to fears of the larger German population. It's one thing to be pro-life, but how anyone can justify putting that above all else based on Scripture alone seems absurd.

(That being said, I do find my hard pro-choice views softening lately. The prospect of what's going on in the international arena is sobering, with the respect to any potential cavalier ethics about loss of life.)
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »

Yeah, why would anyone keep their religious and political beliefs separate?

Your religious and political beliefs are both major aspects of your character and your worldview. It makes perfect sense that so many people combine them.

Critics of social conservatives often say that we're trying to force everyone to accept our worldview. Isn't that the whole point of politics? Aren't you ultimately seeking to force others to accept your worldview when you advocate ANY political position?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »

Out of all the political Methodists, she's not too qualified to be a minister. However, I wish her luck in spreading the principles of Methodism and tending to her flock.

Besides Potus and me, are there any other Methodists on Atlas?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 11:59:09 PM »

Yeah, why would anyone keep their religious and political beliefs separate?

Your religious and political beliefs are both major aspects of your character and your worldview. It makes perfect sense that so many people combine them.

Critics of social conservatives often say that we're trying to force everyone to accept our worldview. Isn't that the whole point of politics? Aren't you ultimately seeking to force others to accept your worldview when you advocate ANY political position?

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Especially when it pertains to those beliefs messing with someone's life like outlawing abortion or gay marriage
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 12:29:58 AM »

Time for her to fade into the distance. She holds as much blame as everyone else for getting Trump elected.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 04:50:14 AM »

What's infuriating is how so many Evangelicals felt they had to vote for Trump due to abortion. When it's pointed out that the Bible doesn't mention abortion, you are pointed to the Apocrypha. Okay, supposing that is the rejoinder... still, it leaves the fact that out of 750,000 words inspired by God, he felt not the need to mention 'abortion' a single time, so what is God's priority on it? Does anyone really think that when God was writing/inspiring the Bible, he thought to himself, "Well, I've reached 750,000 words, and I really want to include a prohibition on abortion, but one more verse would just be too long."  And that ignores things like the fact that the Biblical punishment for causing a miscarriage is explicitly less than homicide, which would go against the pro-life mantra that a full person is formed at conception.

Deeds causing death ("smiting") are generally more blatant (blunt-object trauma, beatings, stabbing, strangling, suffocating, or forcing a fall) and, before guns and poisons, required more effort than was causing a miscarriage. There were plenty of ways in which miscarriages happened, many happening naturally and many the result of accidents that could easily happen.

Interesting point. The Pope is not simply a leading cleric; he is also a politician. Abortion at any stage prevents a birth. But when does the pre-born become human?

It's obvious that the pre-born is human in genetics from conception. No matter how deformed a pre-born may be (even anencephalitic) it has undeniably human genetic material. It can never become a chimpanzee, let alone a jellyfish. But it clearly goes through stages that in no way seem human.

(OK, genetic material is not enough to make something human.  An amputated limb is no longer human. Cancer cells and masses of them (tumors) are not human. Destruction of an amputated limb or of an excised tumor is not usually a crime).   

Forcing an abortion is a crime. Pressuring someone to have an abortion for any cause other than medical necessity is legally shady. Doing something that might hurt one's fetus (think of fetal alcohol syndrome) is irresponsible in the extreme. Would you be willing to ban the sale of alcoholic beverages for immediate consumption to pregnant women? I would -- but it would be hard to prove that a woman is pregnant and that a bartender knows such. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 06:20:49 AM »

Also, if Hillary were such a devout Christian, she would know what the Bible says about female pastors (see 1 Timothy 2:12).

And if you were a knowledgeable Christian, you'd know the Pastoral epistles are fakes not written by Paul. Given the cultural situation in the first century, it's not surprising that men were more active in spreading the early church, but in the genuine Pauline epistles, Paul uses the same titles for women in the ministry that he uses for men.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 07:34:20 AM »

Silly.
kyc0705

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »

Out of all the political Methodists, she's not too qualified to be a minister. However, I wish her luck in spreading the principles of Methodism and tending to her flock.

Besides Potus and me, are there any other Methodists on Atlas?

I was raised Methodist, and I suppose I would still identify as such.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 08:38:44 AM by Clay »

That's because those evangelicals are not actually Christians.  They pretend to be, but it's an Americanized version of Christianity that is distorted from the actual religion.

These are the same people who believe Jesus was not a brown person.  They believe in "eye for an eye" rather than "turn the other cheek."  The do not support caring for the homeless, the sick, or the downtrodden--but instead hold the attitude of something along the lines of, "it's their own fault they're in the situations they're in."  They have politicized their religion with a notion that only one side values them, and only one side mirrors them, when in fact that same side does neither and in many cases opposes their supposed beliefs.  The religious right is a political movement that has nothing to do with actual spirituality.  They claim a high ground, and claim to be a forgiving people when in fact they are not at all--unless you are one of them.

They support so many things in direct contradiction to the religion to pretend to believe in, and they're all too blind to see it.

I say all of this as a Christian myself.

Donald Trump was the least Christian candidate running in 2016, yet most Christians voted for him.  That tells you everything you need to know about American Christians in the current day.  Simply put, they are not actually Christians.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 08:39:09 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 10:39:09 AM by TexasGurl »

Good luck with that.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 08:47:43 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 10:39:23 AM by TexasGurl »

You are an example of the kind of "Christian" I'm talking about in my post above.  Please read it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies