2000 Discussion: Who really won Florida's 25 electoral votes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 Discussion: Who really won Florida's 25 electoral votes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 Discussion: Who really won Florida's 25 electoral votes  (Read 1191 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
« edited: August 04, 2017, 07:44:03 PM by Holistic Harris »

I'm reading a book by Vincent Bugliosi on Bush v. Gore
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »

Gore without question.  Just look at strongly Democratic Palm Beach county that year.  Does anyone honestly believe that more people voted in the Senate race in that county than for President?   Yeah, I'm gonna go out to vote for Senate!!  Forget the Presidential race!!  Yeah, that totally happens.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »

We'll never know, because the U.S. Supreme Court took away from the election officials of Florida their right to find out who really won.

I've read a total of four books about that recount: Down and Dirty, by Jake Tapper, At Any Cost, by Bill Sammon, Supreme Injustice, by Alan Dershowitz, and The Betrayal of America, by Vince Bugliosi. Tapper's book was the longest, most even-handed, and best-written of those books. I agree with Dershowitz and Bugliosi that the Supreme Court's decision was completely atrocious.

And I was a Republican during the 1990s; I voted a straight Republican ticket in 2000. But the Bush v. Gore decision proved to me that Republicans do not appoint better Supreme Court Justices than the Democrats do.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »

Gore, but targeting a state he down in by double-digits during the summer while dismissing Ohio, Missouri, and New Hampshire because "MEGASTATE" was a ridiculous strategy and a preview of what happened with 2016.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »

If we define "won" by what each voter intended to vote for then Gore most likely won.  If we define "won" by what the ballot cast said there are many different interpretations but more likely than not Bush won.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »

In my opinion, Gore was the legitimate and rightful winner. Jeb Bush and SCOTUS stole it for Bush.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »

Gore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida
super6646
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »

What about the networks calling Florida before the panhandle closed? Wouldn't this have an effect as to how much vote Bush had? This probably decreased turnout in this part of the state, which would mean less votes for Bush.

The entire thing was a mess. The type of ballots used, the recount process with Gore wanting selected counties, and so much other crap. We'll never know who actually won, but at least lessons were learned after 2000.
Lord Wreath
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.92, S: -4.51

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 03:18:00 AM »

Purely from a historical perspective, Florida leaned GOP before 1996 so it'd makes sense that Bush won. The idea that Gore would have been able to maintain the emerging Democratic coalition when he was struggling nationally seems a bit far-fetched to me.

But hey, what's in a ~ 500 vote win ? Wink
sg0508
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »

Gore
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »

Why does no one ever mention that every news station (including Fox) except ABC called Florida before the panhandle closed?

This was MEANT to help Gore. Proof? The Florida Secretary of State TOLD networks not to call Florida until the panhandle polls closed - well, they didn't (INCLUDING FOX!) and it cost Bush around 10,000 votes in the panhandle.

The media literally tried to cheat to help Gore but then being masters of manipulation they turned it around to say Bush stole it from Gore.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »

Why does no one ever mention that every news station (including Fox) except ABC called Florida before the panhandle closed?

This was MEANT to help Gore. Proof? The Florida Secretary of State TOLD networks not to call Florida until the panhandle polls closed - well, they didn't (INCLUDING FOX!) and it cost Bush around 10,000 votes in the panhandle.

The media literally tried to cheat to help Gore but then being masters of manipulation they turned it around to say Bush stole it from Gore.
No one has ever made a mistake.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies